Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Integrate Buddhist approach with AYP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shivdev

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2018 :  7:13:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing AYP meditation over 1.5 years. My practice mostly involves SBP with mula Bandha and Shambhavi followed by DM with Mantra and sometimes samyama. Recently I have been experimenting with Mantra enhancement and also breath meditation. I am a sensitive meditator. I am not sure if it is because of that but breath meditation has been really good for me. I have been doing it over a month now and I combine it with loving kindness at the end instead if samyama. It really opens the heart and brings me lot of joy. This has been helping me in my daily life as well which brings me to my next question. I am sure lot of people before me must have thought the same. Why not combine Buddhist techniques with AYP. For example my routine involves SBP + breath meditation + loving kindness meditation. We can also treat the Mantra with metta while doing deep meditation with Mantra. I primarily like the heart approach in Buddhism. Also did Buddha not reach enlightenment with breath meditation. So it is definitely possible even though it might not be deeper than Mantra meditation. We can also use walking meditation for variety and to deal with overloads. I think Christy got kundalini activation initially via Buddhist path. There might be others here as well. Just my 2 cents.

Luv,
Shivdev

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  09:44:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shivdev,

If you are finding success with switching to breath meditation because you are sensitive, go for it. This is actually recommended by AYP. If you enjoy enjoy loving kindness meditation and wish to add this to your practices- that is also fine. But you cannot really expect AYP to switch to Buddhism techniques !
AYP techniques are working superbly for a large number of practitioners and I dare say more effectively (but I may be bias )

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4369 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2018 :  3:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shivdev,

You have already received good advice from Sey.

quote:
I think Christy got kundalini activation initially via Buddhist path.

I did experience an awakening many years ago, after practicing breathing meditation combined with insight meditation in a Thai Bhuddist cave monastery for a few days. That was at the age of around 20. However, I already had many years of yogic practice under my belt already. I started practising yoga asana at the age of 5, especially powerful inversions such as head stand and hand stand. I practiced those almost every day for around 13 years. I started meditation at the age of 14, meditating on the nature of infinite space. I also started tantric sexual practices with my partner at the age of 17.

So, by the time I came to sit down in a cave in Thailand, a lot of spiritual purification had already taken place over many years.

Whenever a particular spiritual experience happens, it is always very tempting to assume that the most recent practice that we were engaged in has caused it to happen. My experience though, is that it is more often the years of purification that went before, that prepared the way for whatever happened.

Do feel free to experiment with combining AYP with Buddhist practices if you are drawn to that. AYP is an open source system and can be used in conjunction with many other traditions and paths. There are only two words of caution given to people who are considering combining practices. The first is to make sure that you are well established in the AYP practices before you start combining them with other systems. That way you will become familiar with how they work and the different effects that they have on the body and the mind, before you start mixing other practices in. The second piece of advice is to be careful about doubling-up on energetic practices. This can have delayed effects and can lead to energetic overload. Metta practice for example is an energetic practice, as it works on purifying the heart chakra.

There is more on combining practices in this lesson:

Lesson 384 - Baseline Systems of Practice and Research on Modifications

and in lesson addition 384.2

Addition 384.2 - Modifications and Self-Pacing for the AYP Baseline System

Christi
Go to Top of Page

shivdev

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  03:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@sey you've misunderstood me. I am not comparing one vs another. As the topic clearly says I am asking about integrating Buddhism bpractices in AYP. I apologize if my message came out differently. That was not my intention. AYP system includes elements from TM and kriya yoga. Similarly can we not integrate Buddhism practices to make AYP a one stop shop. As you already know there is no one path for all practitioners. Each of us is different. There are AYP practitioners who have progressed to kechari within 2.5 years. For me if I do SBP even more than 5 breaths I overload. To each his own. That is why yoga includes paths for all. I think Yogani by integrating these various techniques made AYP a good system. As part of yoganis's research based approach I am suggesting that this is a good viable Avenue to integrate into AYP system. For example mindfulness helps in daily life to deal with emotions. Buddhism explains really well on how to deal with emotions, thoughts etc. While doing deep meditation we can repeat the Mantra in a loving-kindness(i.e. metta) manner. I found it really blissful after meditation to spread loving-kindness to everyone. Walking meditation is very grounding as well. These are just some ideas of integratation that I found but may be I am wrong. I am not as advanced as Christi or Yogani to judge the merits of this approach.

Thanks Christi for sharing your experience. You must have done lot of yoga practices in your previous life. That is why the calling came at such a small age. You are indeed blessed. Also you've answered my question.

Thank you,
Shivdev
Go to Top of Page

shivdev

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2018 :  04:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also I made couple of observations during my experimentation. Breath meditation without SBP is missing Shakti. Once I added SBP it is much better. Also ive observed that it is good to periodically try other meditation techniques. I am giving the analogy of gym where we try different exercises for the same muscle group to get better results. I found that sometimes doing different meditation helps deepen your existing practices similar to the gym analogy. At least this is my observation and as always I am not an expert.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2018 :  04:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shivdev

I'm sorry as well - I did not come across well.
Integration is good when there are benefits to be derived from that - like adoption of breath meditation instead of DM for those who are sensitive.
As for all day long mindfulness, that is not recommended in AYP, especially for beginners. There are reasons.
In DM, the mantra is meant to carry you inwards, refining until you dissolve into Stillness. Loving Kindness is an outward movement, right? We take care of that in Samyama with the sutra - Love.

All the good stuff is still there in AYP , just differently addressed.

Best of luck in your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000