Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 No Thoughts During Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blueblazes

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  01:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
I'm a long-time meditator (mindfulness meditation for 20 years), but new to AYP's Deep Meditation as of the start of this year. An issue that I have encountered is that when I meditate, I usually have no thoughts. Let me explain: As I sit in silence prior to meditating, I notice the silence of my mind, but that is all. I rarely experience the stream of thoughts that most others describe (e.g., what should I eat for breakfast, oh no, I have to pay the electric bill, etc.). I hear ambient noises, I feel my weight on my seat, but I have no thoughts about these things. The same occurs (or doesn't occur) during Deep Meditation - I repeat the mantra and rarely experience any flow of thoughts that are the hallmark of transcending. I'm not forcing the mantra, just easily repeating it. I do this until my 20 minutes have elapsed and I finish with several minutes of silence. I have had a few truly incredible experiences with Deep Meditation so far, but those occurred within a few weeks of taking up this new style of meditation in January. Is it uncommon to just have a relatively quiet mind? Does this thwart my ability to transcend?

Christi

United Kingdom
4371 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  02:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blueblazes,

Welcome to the forums.

It is not necessary to have any thoughts during Deep Meditation. All you need to do is to easily favour the mantra whenever you realize that you are off it. If you lose the mantra into silence, then simply pick it up again and favour it with your attention, once you realize that you have lost it. Like that.

The transcendence can occur with or without thoughts, as it is a transcendence of the mind and the objects of the mind.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  02:48:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello blueblazes, welcome to the AYP forum!

quote:
Originally posted by blueblazes
Does this thwart my ability to transcend?

Not at all. You are doing just fine.

It's best not to form any expectations, either way. You may continue like this with few or no thoughts, but it is also possible you might move into a phase when more thoughts arise. As long as you stick to your daily sitting practices, you are making progress.

Consider adding spinal breathing in due course, after the I AM meditation has bedded in.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  02:48:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi
We crossposted
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  08:27:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueBlazes, welcome!

Most who start a meditation practice wrestle with thoughts overtaking the meditation like whack-a-mole carnival game. Perhaps with twenty years under your belt, you have bypassed this all together. As BR suggests, SBP is the next step and you appear more than ready to take it on. After that, consider siddhasana, sitting with your heal at your perineum.
Go to Top of Page

blueblazes

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2018 :  8:17:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not expect so many responses so soon! I have heard that transcendent-styles of meditation are difficult to master if one has trained in another style (especially mindfulness meditation). Thank you for helping ease my apprehension that Deep Meditation might not work for me. I will begin studying spinal breathing and siddhasana so I can introduce those when the time seems right.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000