Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Transcendence
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2018 :  4:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,

I'm about 30 days into practicing DM using the mantra AYAM as prescribed. It's been awesome. I feel light, clear and overall less excitable. My wife has commented that something is different. Basically, I'm not getting triggered like I was prior to starting the DM practice.

My question is what is Transcendence? What does it feel like? When I meditate, I feel a buzzing in my brain. It like my whole brain is getting turned on by a light switch. Is this transcendence?

Thanks for all your support!

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2018 :  7:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To transcend means to go beyond. Initially, we aim to go beyond extremes of our daily lives like happy-sad, love-hate, have-lack. Eventually, we work our way through higher realms and strive for ever-present inner joy. Nothing ruffles us there. We realize who we actually are.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2018 :  8:34:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MichaelWinz,

Here are two lessons that may help.

http://www.aypsite.com/plus/13.html#13.5
http://www.aypsite.com/plus/55.html#55.2

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  05:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Michael

Great to hear your practice is going well.

Jusmail has given you a good definition of transcendence. It's quite an abstract term, it's not usually associated with a specific bodily sensation. It might help if you gave us the context in which you saw it.

Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  08:09:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat,

It's from this response to a recent question:

"Welcome to the forum! The longer mantras do a wider swipe through the nervous system, which means more purification and a slower transcendence. In comparison, the short mantra promotes a faster transcendence, while still producing purification. Trust yourself: if you feel that the short mantra works better for you, stick with it. It will take you all the way home. "

From my research DM is almost identical to TM as a technology. Anyway, I recently attended a TM lecture out of curiosity. They say the transcendence is a distinct state of consciousness based on brain activity. They use the analogy of descending deeply into an ocean. The farther down you go, the less disturbance of the mind. It stands to reason that there is a 'feeling' to it. Waking feels a certain way as does Sleeping. If Transcendence is a unique state of consciousness, what does it feel like? If I had a benchmark to compare toI could know that I'm doing it correctly. Maybe I shouldn't care because the results of my DM are subjectively so good. Really I'm just curious of what other people 'feel' when they are meditating.

Thanks for helping out!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  11:35:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What Blanche meant - I think - was that during mantra meditation, blockages and impurities are shredded and cleaned up while we are transcending them. That is why we don't feel discomfort during the very efficient cleansing process that is mantra meditation.

The more important thing to be said however is this:
You shouldn't be chasing this or that effect with your meditation. Just follow the procedure and let go of expectations.

What we transcend is not up to us to decide. Transcendence has been my policy ever since I started yoga (decades ago) and even before, come to think about it. Some things however I had to experience and burn in awareness. Not my preferred option, but there it is.

At the end of the day, transcendence happens by grace. You can choose to favour practices that are more on the side of silence (meditation and samyama) than kindling the energy, but the cleansing process will have to be completed one way or another before you are able to transcend everything.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
People can give labels to every step/stage of the journey. However, purifying the nervous system is what we aim for here. AYP classification can be found in lessons 35, 38, 120, and many more lessons. Reading lessons 327 and 329, in this context, won't hurt you either.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  11:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, I have omitted to answer your specific question. What does transcendence feel like?

It's unconditional contentment or bliss, and the sense of equanimity you rest in even as the drama of the world unfolds before your eyes. These are signs of transcendence, they are its fruits. You have started to experience it yourself in your daily life:
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelWinz
I feel light, clear and overall less excitable. My wife has commented that something is different. Basically, I'm not getting triggered like I was prior to starting the DM practice.

Enjoy

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 11 2018 12:32:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  12:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All,

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm not really chasing an experience so much as wanting to know how it 'feels.' I'm by nature a feeling oriented person. It's how I interact with the world. Anyway - I love my 20 minutes twice a day. It generally flies. I can clearly see the purification going on. It's so odd at the end of the day to see all the unprocessed stuff from the day vie for my attention then evaporate and then the following morning to have deeper older potentially more upsetting stuff surface. It's a cool process that I'll stick to as described.

I'm all in with what AYP is teaching. For the first time in a life of searching, I feel like I don't have to search anymore.

One final question - from time to time I may want to talk with someone rather than post something here. Words on a page lack the feeling behind them. Do any of the more experienced practitioners take skype or phone calls?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  2:30:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What I meant to say was that comparing 'how it feels' by way of benchmarking doesn't really work. Mediation can feel very different from person to person, and the feeling changes in the same practitioner over time.
The only 'benchmark' is the technique. If you do what Yogani says in Lesson 13, you are doing it right. And as you say, you already have the results to prove it.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  7:06:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried to understand what transcendence is, and my experience with it, if any. If you look at the etymology of the word, you'll find it contains Latin roots meaning ”to climb across”.

I find that helpful. Meditation is kind of like climbing across my obstructions and seeing what's underneath/beyond them. So when I witness thought-streams and use the mantra to navigate my mental territory, I sometimes fall into silence/stillness, or feel new sensations in my body, or uncover other scenery. So I would say that transcendence is a process of arriving at new plateaus through the action of exploration, active surrender, refinement, and so forth.

I think transcendence means getting a little closer to the Mystery...through a string of moments... unfurling, unfurling, unfurling...in our common and private space.
Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  8:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bodhi Tree

It's interesting that many of the great mystics use poetry to describe inner states. Words can't even approach describing the inner landscape. Ahh but I try anyway! lol
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2018 :  9:19:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a writing teacher who once told me: The job of the poet is to describe the undescribable.

It's worth it.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  07:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Transcendence feels like stepping in a new space.

Follow the mantra with curiosity, wonder, and joy.
The echo of thoughts dissolves into silence.
Step onto transcendence -
space nestled in space,
infinity in infinity -
body nestled in memory,
memory nestled in mind,
mind in bliss.
Then step from here to here,
closer than the heart in your chest.
What is this?
When it stays still,
everything disappears.
When it starts to flow,
the world hops on its merry go round.
Silence flows to bliss.
Live with the world inside you.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  08:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Now we're cookin’, Blanche.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2018 :  5:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

Transcendence feels like stepping in a new space.

Follow the mantra with curiosity, wonder, and joy.
The echo of thoughts dissolves into silence.
Step onto transcendence -
space nestled in space,
infinity in infinity -
body nestled in memory,
memory nestled in mind,
mind in bliss.
Then step from here to here,
closer than the heart in your chest.
What is this?
When it stays still,
everything disappears.
When it starts to flow,
the world hops on its merry go round.
Silence flows to bliss.
Live with the world inside you.

Go to Top of Page

MichaelWinz

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2018 :  8:41:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche

Thank you for the wonderful poem.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2018 :  06:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

dancer303

Germany
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  05:31:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

My question is what is Transcendence?

As far as I have experienced it, it is like to be and not to be at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  06:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dancer 303,
Welcome to the forum!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2019 :  06:45:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Michaei,

From my experience as a former TMer, they explain it with an image of entering a sea of consciousness and descending deeper and deeper toward a source of purity (my terms, not the words of the TM establishment). When your session is over you bring some of that clarity and energy into daily life. This might be another way of illustrating the concept of purification. If I recall correctly over 30 years back, maybe this was the Science of Creative Intelligence doctrine. Practicing the meditation technique takes us into that sea. I agree with you that the TM technique seems identical to the DM technique, at least except for the choice of mantra.

If Transcendence is at the source, it is a state to be approached, perhaps not to dwell in. For me, I can't say if it can be reached. Does an enlightened being have more enlightenment to achieve? If the world is infinitely complex and diverse, I think the answer has to be yes. We strive without end, at least without a visible end.

For me, the goal of the DM and pranayama that I do is to gain and enhance those benefits you described so eloquently in your first posting.

Edited by - kensbikes100 on Jan 15 2019 07:03:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

nothingatall

Lithuania
35 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2019 :  11:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi All,

I'm about 30 days into practicing DM using the mantra AYAM as prescribed. It's been awesome. I feel light, clear and overall less excitable. My wife has commented that something is different. Basically, I'm not getting triggered like I was prior to starting the DM practice.

My question is what is Transcendence? What does it feel like? When I meditate, I feel a buzzing in my brain. It like my whole brain is getting turned on by a light switch. Is this transcendence?

Transcendence is when you go beyond this world which is time and space. When you "become" reality or other word for it "Brahman" I "experienced" and then when I "returned" 3 days I was without any remains of ego, my mind had 0 thoughts in those 3 days, i was conscious 24/7 and it was weird to be conscious while my body was sleeping. During that time i felt very calm, felt love and joy of life without any given reason. After some time my ego came back and now I am doing everything I can to experience Ego death again. Also it's weird to say I am doing - because there is no doer :)
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2019 :  8:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are a number of ways you can define transcendence in the practice of meditation. Here are some things for consideration:

1. You can transcend the mire and turbulence of thinking and feeling.
2. You can transcend external stimuli as your mind becomes more and more enamored by the meditation object.
3. You can transcend the mind itself in what the Buddha called the "arupa jhanas" or the formless stages of meditation, where awareness takes as meditation objects abstract qualities of reality itself (space, consciousness, perception, etc).
4. You can transcend what keeps you bound to the body and mind, as it pertains to the doctrine of reincarnation.

Transcendence feels like freedom. Freedom from the stifling oppression of self-imposed limits to the way one experiences reality. It's also very bare. Experiencing the world directly, exactly as it is, without filters and limiting beliefs, ceaseless mental narrations, insecurities that need protecting, a sense-of-self that needs praise and adoration, a lack of empathy for the struggles and perspective of others... the list goes on, which is why meditation is so important.

Finally, transcendence feels like letting go.

Edited by - SuperTrouper on Mar 11 2019 8:57:53 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000