AYPsite.org Forum
 Gurus, Sages and Higher Beings
 Honoring ancestors
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2017 :  12:13:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Wasn’t sure where to post..

Hi All, So I’m reading a lot honoring your ancestors from a spiritual standpoint and I’m visiting my mom’s house for the holidays so I’ve been really reflecting on it.

I just wrote a blog on it and felt embarrassment posting photos of my ancestors and I realize how inauthentic I’ve been in that area- I’ve always felt embarrassed and even ashamed about my ancestors. My family has always encouraged me to feel proud of my heritage and my ancestors’ accomplishments. There’s prominent history, books written about many of the elite ancestors in my family. I was a debutante in NYC and my family’s home is a historic landmark -sort of a museum and my family gives tours. I’ve never volunteered that info to anyone (it frankly feels like revealing my dirtiest secret) because I’ve always felt people would judge me/stereotype me etc and I never wanted people to just see that and not what’s underneath... I’ve been a bit of the black sheep in my family in some ways.
So I’ve felt that connection w ancestors in our family has either been based on pride or shame solely regarding accomplishments rather than deeper connection and honoring them (aside from my authentic connection with my grandmother who passed away)
So I wanted to shed light on this because I see the importance of honoring our ancestors as ourselves and that I am in fact my heritage. I come from this background/social class/lineage, all of it, for better or for worse like it or not- it’s all in me. My ancestors are in me. Acceptance.

What’s your take on honoring your ancestors? I’m a bit twisted around about it all. Thich Nhat Hanh and other spiritual teachers have a lot to say about it also...thx!C

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Chard, we are our ancestors too. Through multiple rebirths, we have experienced everything from virgins to the promiscuous, from zealots to the aimless, from crusaders to ones on the crucifix. We have experienced all the cultures and have changed genders too. As Yogani says, "many are the one, and one are the many." That pride/shame can be surrendered.
Dr. Brian Wise has written many books on past life and such which you might enjoy reading. Michael Newton's Journey of a soul is also an interesting book.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  10:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Chard
quote:
Originally posted by Chard
What’s your take on honoring your ancestors?

Here is my take on it, for whatever is worth: I honour my ancestors, and everyone's ancestors, as much as I honour everything else. No more, no less.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2017 :  03:55:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My ancestors go way back. I see myself in all living creatures.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000