Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 All breath meditations the same?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

boris

Norway
68 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  12:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit boris's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,What kind of breath meditation do Ayp people find to be the most effective?
Personally the most powerful for me is concentration on breath at the bridge of the nose/upper lips.But I consider this more of a one point concentration than breath meditation.What I consider To be real breath meditaion is to obsereve the natural breath cyclein a verey relaxed state without trying to connect it to or concentrrate on any feeling assosiated with the breath.But this meditation doesent feel very effective even if it definitive feels like the most natural meditation for me.Any thoughts?

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2017 :  10:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris. My natural awareness of pranayama in my Yin asana practice becomes a breath meditation of the moment. My natural drishti then is my nostrils, the gateway of interior/exterior. By then my third eye is also active and the space just beyond the reach of ketchari2 tongue feels alive, faintly throbbing, the one-point as become a collage.

Breath meditation will be "lighter" than mantra meditation; what does effectiveness mean to you? AYP is designed as mantra meditation with the option of dialing back to breath meditation as a self pace. Are you choosing breath meditation for a reason?

My inclination would be to ride what feels natural to you for all its worth, and then try something stronger if you feel you've outgrown it.

Edited by - Dogboy on Dec 12 2017 10:05:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  10:56:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
At AYP, we do the spinal breathing, the details of which are to be found in lessons 39 and 41. You can start off with small incriments to be on the safe side.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2017 :  11:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris

Could you please give us a bit of background? Are you practising AYP? Have you read through the AYP lessons?

If you are interested in the most effective form of mediation, mantra meditation is it.

If you have replaced mantra meditation with breath meditation because of sensitivity issues, then the instructions in Lesson 13 still apply, just that we favour the breath with our attention instead of the mantra.

In AYP breath meditation, we pay attention to whatever seems to be the sensation of the breath for each practitioner. Some may feel it in the abdomen, some in the solar centre, some in the nostrils. We go with whatever feels easiest to follow. This might change over time and we let it evolve naturally.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2017 :  10:25:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Boris,

You have already received good advice. Would only add that the most effective meditation is the one we practice regularly and for a long time. As Patanjali points in Yoga Sutra, enlightenment is close for the ones who are "highly intent" and intense in their practice (1.21-22).

Best wishes for your chosen path!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000