Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Cant seem to relax hips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

omarbibz

Egypt
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  09:04:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I've been meditating for a while now on my bed with back support focusing on my breath. However, now I am shifting towards vipssana meditation and would like to meditate on the floor without back support. When I sit on the floor in half-lotus position and straighten my spine so that it is erect my hips get really tense. I use this tense-ness as a form of meditation to concentrate upon but then my lower-back gradually starts to curve again (im still somewhat in an erect position but not 100% straight) my question is this.. how can I stop my hips from tensing up (will this stop through practice?) secondly is it okay if my back curves a little during meditation?

Edited by - AYPforum on Oct 14 2017 10:58:10 AM

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  09:48:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Omar, welcome the AYP forum

Your hips will get more flexible in time, if you practice sitting poses, but it will be a very gradual process. It's really not necessary to compromise your meditation practice over the many months that it might take you to become comfortable sitting in half lotus. Is is possible to nudge your posture, very gradually and without discomfort, in the direction you are aiming for.

The following is a paragraph from Lesson 33 on this website:
quote:
Go as far as you comfortably can, and use pillows to prop up your knees if necessary, so you can be as comfortable as possible while meditating. Don't torture yourself, or your meditation, by forcing yourself into an uncomfortable position. What we want is to gently coax our legs into a cross-legged position over a period of time. It might happen immediately for some. For others it might take weeks or months of gentle coaxing. It is the direction we gradually want to go in. Rome was not built in a day.

Enjoy your practice!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2017 :  10:58:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

omarbibz

Egypt
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2017 :  1:22:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hello Omar, welcome the AYP forum

Your hips will get more flexible in time, if you practice sitting poses, but it will be a very gradual process. It's really not necessary to compromise your meditation practice over the many months that it might take you to become comfortable sitting in half lotus. Is is possible to nudge your posture, very gradually and without discomfort, in the direction you are aiming for.

The following is a paragraph from Lesson 33 on this website:
quote:
Go as far as you comfortably can, and use pillows to prop up your knees if necessary, so you can be as comfortable as possible while meditating. Don't torture yourself, or your meditation, by forcing yourself into an uncomfortable position. What we want is to gently coax our legs into a cross-legged position over a period of time. It might happen immediately for some. For others it might take weeks or months of gentle coaxing. It is the direction we gradually want to go in. Rome was not built in a day.

Enjoy your practice!

Thank you very much. So I guess I will continue to mediate in a seated position and just let time take care of this issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000