AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 State of consciousness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  09:17:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all, can you give your opinion on some things about this quote below please.

“Remember that your perception of the world is a reflection of your state of consciousness. You are not separate from it, and there is no objective world out there. Every moment, your consciousness creates the world that you inhabit. One of the greatest insights that has come out of modern physics is that of the unity between the observer and the observed: the person conducting the experiment — the observing consciousness — cannot be separated from the observed phenomena, and a different way of looking causes the observed phenomena to behave differently. If you believe, on a deep level, in separation and the struggle for survival, then you see that belief reflected all around you and your perceptions are governed by fear. You inhabit a world of death and of bodies fighting, killing, and devouring each other. Nothing is what it seems to be. The world that you create and see through the egoic mind may seem a very imperfect place, even a vale of tears. But whatever you perceive is only a kind of symbol, like an image in a dream. It is how your consciousness interprets and interacts with the molecular energy dance of the universe. This energy is the raw material of so-called physical reality. You see it in terms of bodies and birth and death, or as a struggle for survival. An infinite number of completely different interpretations, completely different worlds, is possible and, in fact, exists — all depending on the perceiving consciousness. Every being is a focal point of consciousness, and every such focal point creates its own world, although all those worlds are interconnected. There is a human world, an ant world, a dolphin world, and so on. There are countless beings whose consciousness frequency is so different from yours that you are probably unaware of their existence, as they are of yours. Highly conscious beings who are aware of their connectedness with the Source and with each other would inhabit a world that to you would appear as a heavenly realm — and yet all worlds are ultimately one.”

- The Power of Now, Eckhart Tolle

So here are some questions: If we hear that there are other worlds that sound better then it's normal to want that instead of this world, but is that not a cause of suffering, to want something else that is better?

If our consciousness changed radically then we could inhabit a world which doesn't correspond to our new state of consciousness? Or does the world always reflect our inner state no matter what?

And if we see this world as bad - the way it is set up, bodies being dependent on other life, etc - does that mean our consciousness is bad as well?

Personally I find it hard to come to terms with the way this world works, how life feeds on life, and if the above quote is true, I would like to inhabit one of the heavenly realms where there is a different order of reality.

I may well be misinterpreting some parts of the quote, in which case please point it out to me

Thanks

Joseph

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2017 :  5:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Joseph

Nice to hear from you.

I will give some answers to your questions, but before I do that, please note that Eckhart Tolle speaks from a place of non-duality. If your AYP practice has not reached the self-inquiry stage, there isn't much point toiling with these questions. It is far more productive to focus on the AYP practices you are currently doing. When you are ready for self-inquiry, the answers to these questions will simply appear.

quote:
Originally posted by joseph
is that not a cause of suffering, to want something else that is better?
I guess it depends what you do with that 'want'. If it motivates you to practice, then the want will power your progress. If if drives you to lament things being as they are (or you perceive them to be), then it can well turn into a loop of suffering.

quote:
Or does the world always reflect our inner state no matter what?

The point Eckhart Tolle makes is that the world is a reflection of our state of consciousness. It wouldn't be possible to be in a world that "doesn't correspond to our new state of consciousness".

quote:
And if we see this world as bad - the way it is set up, bodies being dependent on other life, etc - does that mean our consciousness is bad as well?
No, it doesn't mean that at all. Consciousness levels are like any other evolving entity. You wouldn't say the baby stage of a human being is worse than a toddler. You wouldn't say a flower is good and a bud isn't. Each stage contains the seed of the next, that is how things evolve.

How are you getting on with your practices?
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2017 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat :) I am currently doing a range of practices, mostly AYP, but also things such as tai chi and alternate nasal breathing outside of sitting practice. Daily life is going pretty smoothly; there is the odd bump here and there but nothing I cannot handle. Overall I'm less affected by the ups and downs and my energy levels are good too.

I often see life from a non dual view and know that there is no one body that is mine, but I still see that all bodies are dependent on others for their continuation. Is every kind of reality set up this way. Can we not have a mode of experience where there is no dependence on others. All forms are finite, but does that by implication mean they have to kill one another to live.

We can intellectualize our way out, to a degree, by seeing that we're not any physical body, not even all things. I can find out I'm beyond all that is seen, but still see it happening, and I can't but judge some of it as negative. Is it possible to change the play altogether.

I understand there is harmony all through nature, and things are not really bad or ugly there - they can only be so through my perception/perspective. So how have I ended up like that. I'll say what made me start this thread. A spider caught a fly on my windowsill and was moving in slowly and just ate it up whole. I'm a bit arachnophobic anyway, but I thought it was a really unpleasant thing to watch. I thought that all creatures are doing essentially the same thing as the spider. That quote popped into my head from the Power of Now, the part about bodies killing and devouring each other. Then I thought, does it always have to be that way?

When Eckhart says there are heavenly realms what does he mean. Are there still bodies killing and devouring each other.

..Just after writing that paragraph I thought maybe there aren't really any bodies at all, and it is all one harmonious process. Human mind divides life into parts and then labels them.

Hmmmm.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2017 :  12:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Overall I'm less affected by the ups and downs

You are making progress Joseph. There is yet more to come.

quote:
I still see that all bodies are dependent on others for their continuation.
This is part of the fabric of this world and that will not change. But the way we relate to it does. It will happen as your practice develops. I don't think looking forward to another world where creatures don't eat other creature is the answer. Growing into a state of equanimity and accepting that this is the way this world works is more like it. Eckhart Tolle speaks from a place of acceptance. Others might understand the logic behind his assertion, but to really see the world the way he does, we need to work on ourselves through meditation and spiritual practice.

Enjoy your journey and godspeed
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2017 :  4:20:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000