Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Discomfort in my practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beingyinyang

Portugal
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  5:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

I recently registered in this Forum.

For some years, I've been meditating daily.

I have practiced Kriya Yoga but now I will try AYP (deep meditation e spinal breathing pranayama). However I have a doubt. For many years I have had a sedentary life and today I can not prolong my practices for a long time.

So my question is, do you have any suggestions to improve my flexibility (especially in my hips, low back and legs). After sitting cross-legged for thirty minutes, I begin to feel discomfort in my legs (numb legs). This situation distracts me a lot from my pratices. I can not deepen my practices for a long period of time.

Please, help me with some suggestions to improve my flexibility.

Thank's a lot.

Christi

United Kingdom
4369 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  5:55:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beingyinyang,

You can introduce a gentle asana sequence in front of your sitting practices if you wish. This will give you more flexibility and allow you to sit for longer with comfort.

Yogani discusses asana practice in this lesson:

Lesson 71 - Yoga Asanas - A Wonderful Billion Dollar Industry

If you follow the links from that lesson, it will take you to a description of the AYP asana sequences in AYP Plus, which is a subscription site. There are also videos of the AYP starter asana sequence and enhanced asana sequence on the Plus site.

You can also learn asana practice by going to a regular yoga class.

You may also find it useful to use a cushion or two when you sit, to raise your spine off the floor. I find that zafus are the best, but everyone has their own personal preference. This will open up the angle between the spine and the knees, making sitting more comfortable. Also having a soft surface to sit on can help and there are special sitting mats (zabutons) designed for this purpose.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2017 :  11:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Beingyinyang,

Welcome to the forum! Christi's advice is very good. You could also try to improve your physical condition by walking every day. Start with 15 or 30 minutes (depending on your condition), and add 5 minutes every week until you get to one hour of walking every day.

If sitting 20 minutes is uncomfortable, start by meditating only 10 minutes twice a day. Increase your sitting time by 1 minute every week, until you get to 20 minutes. Like that. Enjoying the practice is important. Meditation is a break from regular activity. Enjoy it when you meditate, and stop your meditation while you still enjoy it, so you will look forward to the next meditation session.

Best wishes!

Edited by - Blanche on Aug 23 2017 07:04:07 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000