Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 mantra repetition questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  9:35:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello all. Reidmantra here. I was wondering if anyone could clear up a few lingering doubts I have about how to repeat the mantra. I did a search on mantra repetition on this forum and found some very clear instructions to a fellow meditator from Sey and Sey said that the mantra is to be repeated back to back without a pause in between the repetitions. I wonder if this is still Sey's position because yogani says in his own writings that we start the mantra with back to back repetition and then `let it go how it will' which to me is an instruction which is the exact opposite of back to back repetition which is the same as chanting. Could Sey or Bodhi or Dogboy or Christi, or anyone else for that matter give me some clarification. If I am going to do deep meditation then I had better get the repetition part correct as Blueraincoat likes to point out. I want to do DM and not something that is similar to DM. Looking forward to hearing from whoever could offer some insight. Thanks. - Reidmantra

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  10:32:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no fixed pattern of repetition. Back-to-back is just a starting point, not a rigid parameter that has to last throughout the session.

It's like a dance. You can improvise.

I'm filming an AYP instructional video series, and Deep Meditation is, of course, one of the first topics I'm covering. I have a new motto that complements the fundamental technique of easily favoring. It is: Be comfortable, be playful, be exploratory.

Try applying that kind of attitude to how you treat the mantra. Then you won't be worrying about sticking to back-to-back, or altering the tempo and rhythm. The mantra refines. That's the whole point. If you don't mix up the cake batter, it won't get baked properly. So, being comfortable with the mantra, playing with the mantra, and being exploratory with the mantra all fall under the umbrella of easily favoring, which results in purification and opening.

Trust yourself. It's OK to be unorthodox and find your own style. The baseline is a suggestion, a hint, a reference point. But it is up to each individual to discover and implement their own version of what easily favoring means to them. Fortunately, when the heart opens to the universality of the words' meanings, it becomes increasingly clear as to what the nature of the game is. Deep down, you know what to do. And actually, maybe it's not even that deep. It's simpler, or "cheaper" as Walt Whitman would say. It's like a kid in a sandbox.

Get lost in the process. Let yourself fall. Stillness will catch you.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  02:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Reidmantra,

Sey is right in that the mantra is repeated back-to-back. This means without putting a deliberate pause in between mantra repetitions. Deep Meditation is not chanting though (japa), it is a process of easily favouring one object with the attention, which allows the mind to come to stillness (inner silence). Hence Yogani's more complete instruction to repeat the mantra back-to-back and let it go as it will. It will tend to naturally refine and the rhythm will change also.

See here:

"Yes, the mantra is repeated "back to back" when sitting, and the whole process is lost and easily picked up again as often as necessary. There is no forcing in it, once we get past the clunky (learning) stage. When we say "easily pick up the mantra," we mean easily pick up back to back repetition. " [Yogani]

and here:

"Back-to-back" does not mean some sort of regimented repetition. It means just picking up with mental repetition and not planning anything as we use the mantra. It can get fast or slow, seem stuck in one constant pattern, or have no discernible tempo at all -- just a subtle feeling. None of this is determined by our will (the key point). The neurobiology is what determines it, depending on what is going on with purification and opening at the time, and this will keep changing (there can be experiential plateaus from time to time). This is why we say the experience can be anything, and we don't evaluate it. We just do the procedure. The results will show up in our daily activity, no matter what the experience in meditation may be." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  08:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good responses so far.
What you will find after meditating with the mantra for some time, I did, is that the whole process is very natural and soft. Or just is. There is a natural focus on the mantra... And as Yogani writes in his book on meditation (which I suggest you read if you haven't already); if it is difficult to pick up the mantra, we don't do it.
I find that I am more listening to the rythm of the mantra now, more than thinking it like before. It is there, if you let it be... :)

/colours

Edited by - colours on Aug 17 2017 08:56:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  2:13:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all. Reidmantra here. Thank you Bodhi-tree, Christi, and Colours for responding so swiftly to me. I apprecitate the input and advice as always! :)) I have read your responses several times. I believe that I am starting to slowly understand that Bodhi-tree and Christi are not giving completely different instructions but are just using different words to describe the same thing. Also, yes Colours, I have Yogani's book on Deep Meditation and have read it more than once. Thank you for your comments, the process should be natural and soft. Good reminder. One more thing - Bodhi-tree, when you are done filming your video series, could you please, please, please provide the link to me so I can watch it! Will it be covering Samyama and spinal breathing to, or just deep meditation? How much will the videos cost to see, and can I pay with my debit card? Thank you Bodhi for doing that, I am positive it will help a lot of people starting with me!!! - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  4:43:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I will certainly send you the links, Reidmantra! There will be no cost for the videos. They will be published for free on my website and on YouTube. And yes, I will cover samyama and spinal breathing in separate installments. In fact, I'm working on a video for samyama, and it's already over 70 minutes, so I cover a lot of the angles!

The idea is to satisfy the curious mind with a thorough presentation, while also maintaining the integrity and simplicity of the baseline. I appreciate and relate to your ongoing curiosity, so I'm happy to help in any way I can.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  9:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You've received complete advice already, so will add easily favoring the baseline practice in Christi's links, with the attitude in Bodhi's and colours' posts, you should progress fine. The discipline of sustained practice irons out the creases.
Go to Top of Page

reidmantra

United Arab Emirates
57 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  10:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reassurance Dogboy. It is awesome to hear from you! You are one of the many veterans on this forum that I trust, respect, and admire. Namaste and Om Shanti. - Reidmantra
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  5:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000