Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 When is to much Yoga to much?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani often advises people to back off on their practice if they are experiencing symptoms of excess. But what symptoms of excess does he mean? If I feel energy moving around my body during the day is that to much or just part of ecstatic living. How does one judge what is to much or what is just right or indeed to little?
I have been combining Nauli with chin pumps and Yoni Mudra plus breath retention at the same time for the last few minutes of my spinal breathing. I have not experienced anything to uncomfortable to date though I must look a total idiot whilst I am doing it! But I do have quite a high uncomfort threthhold ..... thus the question!

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The kundalini section is replete with example after example of people struggling with such symptoms. The advice is given because there can be a delay between practices and their effects. Once the bucking broncho is on the run, it ain't no fun.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lethargy ,cloudy ness ,fear ,anxiety ,to name a few ,the opposite to this is patience ,joy ,love contentedness love to name few ,it is an art or a flywheel sometimes just a touch keeps it all going well ,you will know when to slow down yoga should start and end in ease ,a quote from yogananda .,
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2017 :  10:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Discomfort is the key, it is a tipping point and a good place to back off and observe. I have rarely had overload in my four AYP years, the last three energetic indeed. I too enjoyed a lot of chin pumping, yoni mudras, and nauli retentions in the early days but use it selectively now. A high discomfort threshold is a blessing in yoga you are a fortunate yogi
Go to Top of Page

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2017 :  05:42:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am on that boat. I am joyfully bombarding my nervous system almost 3 hours per day. Progressing slowly and never run into overload in 4 years since I started. I guess that when Kundalini kicks in it is a game changer. How to predict that? We can only add little bit at the time and wait for delayed responses. Don't rush. Enjoy the journey. Come to the other side in one piece. Could be a blessing as Dogboy points out. We need special section in AYP. Techniques for undersensitive.
Go to Top of Page

SimonD

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  08:18:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the advice. It seems like its different for everyone, since about 5 months ago my energy stor mostly went up rather than down .....thank god for that as I had previously several months feeling like a randy teenager (I am just closing on 65 !!). Now the exstatic energy moves fro place to place inbetween my abdoman and my throat. I am assuming that this is not actual Kundalini but its early precurser? or does this current energy just get stronger and stronger and more intense?
I have also been wondering whether the exstatic energy I currently enjoy is only possible due to a quite mind from previous work on myself or normal for anyone who practices any form of Pranayama. I started off using Wim Hoff,s methods of bellows breathing and breath retention outside the body (up to 4 minutes) before doing the 9 pot meditation method breathing through each nostril seperatly and doing a 70 second breath retention in between each breath for the 9 breaths whist concentrating on my lower dantien to create an energy centre. I have since moved over to Yogani,s system and am very pleased with it though I have yet to stay awake for long doing the Cosmic Samyama. This morning I didnt get past my knees and the only time I have got close to the end it took well over an hour as I phased out on each part for 10 minutes or so each time!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  09:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SimonD,

What you describe we call ecstatic conductivity in AYP. These experiences expand and as we practice regularly, the pranaflow will getting stronger and more intense, like you said. We can see ecstatic experiences as a milestone, a sign of progress

This lesson describes the milestones, signs of progress,
Second comes the rise of ecstatic experience in the body and surroundings. It comes from an awakening of the life force in the body and a gradual refinement of sensory perception. Through pranayama (breath control) and other means, meditation is enhanced so that the senses are opened in an inward direction, enabling us to perceive the ecstatic energies coursing within and around us. You could say that silence moves within us, and this creates a new and captivating kind of experience.'Yogani'

www.aypsite.org/35.html

About Samyama,we never know how much time it takes, I can relate to that.

Enjoy practice.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 12 2017 1:14:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chard

250 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2017 :  5:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Simon, Per your original post... For me, an excess of energy is feeling ungrounded and in the clouds. I notice when I have trouble functioning with daily tasks feeling just "out there" that's a sign of excess. A good indicator is if I can't bring myself to do my household budget! Yoga, physical exercise and doing service of some kind I find to be helpful. If I'm really downright strugglng with my energy/emotions on some level over time, I bite the bullet and pay for a visit with my energy healer I go to and he always seems to magically balance out my whole energy system. He's amazing -his name is Gene Krackehl (he does distance healing too) you can google him and sees people worldwide. Blessings Simon! We are here for you and best on your journey!
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2017 :  10:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When doing too much yoga exercises, or study too much yoga (theoretically), I only think about yoga (in a negative, unhealthy way)...=excessive thinking...I can feel like I am in a bubble, or almost apathetic of worldly matters. Then I know it is time too scale back on practice.
Another symptom is insomnia, not being able to fall asleep during a whole night or so...
I don't really think that there is a huge problem if you feel some energy symptoms or similar, but maybe it is a warning that more serious symptoms might come later on. My symptoms are more psychological rather than energetical so to speak, most of the time.
Right now I am practicing deep meditation for twenty minutes once per week. Yogani tells me that this also is self-pacing, to reduce the number of practices per day or week. I think this is an important point, since everyone is not "made to" meditate two times each day all the time so to speak (though most people might be, I don't really know).
Rule of thumb: If your ordinary everyday is working smoothly, in between practices...your fine...if not: self-pace...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000