Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Problem with eyes/head pressure
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kisen

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  1:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!

For a few months now, I cannot seem to meditate very well.

I keep having this pressure around my eyes, particularly right under them (upper cheek) whenever I try to meditate and this follows me throughout the day.

I end up feeling very grumpy and less energetic after meditation, causing me to think that I am not able to ever meditate and consider quitting since it is making my life worse.

It is like I am constantly conscious of my eyes whenever I meditate and they cannot rest, causing me to feel pressure, sometimes extreme in my head.

I can relieve it for a bit by trying to move focus to my lower body but it keeps returning to my face.

On rare occasions, I end up feeling extremely energetic and awake after meditation but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can rest the eyes or my face?

Any kind of intentional thinking causes strain in that area and I am now confused about how to think.

Thank you!

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  4:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Kisen, welcome to the AYP forum!

Could you please tell us a bit more about your practice? what type of meditation do you do? For how long have you been meditating? Are you following the AYP system or another method?
Go to Top of Page

Kisen

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  7:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you!

Right now I am following AYP after trying other effortless meditations.

Whenever I repeat the mantra it feels like it is trying to come out of my head and becomes more uncomfortable with each repetition. I seem to have this problem with most mantras but AYAM is much softer and does not take as much effort to flow.

The only way I found that usually works is by thinking it once and let the vibration fill my body, then recall the feeling whenever the mind wanders.

I don't know why my mind tries to think the mantra with my head.

Thank you

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 19 2017 :  11:11:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
It is like I am constantly conscious of my eyes whenever I meditate and they cannot rest, causing me to feel pressure, sometimes extreme in my head.

I can relieve it for a bit by trying to move focus to my lower body but it keeps returning to my face.

I would keep trying to move the focus if you experience some relief: I suggest your Solar Center (http://www.aypsite.org/368.html). This spot is a good place to anchor attention as it doesn't correspond to a particular chakra, and it is near your body's gravitational center. It is worth the try to gently rest attention there, and perhaps "allow" the mantra to emminate from there (this is where my sutras seem to pass in my Samyama practice). Give it a go for a few "sits" and report back.

The fact you are experiencing awareness in your eyes could also mean sambhavi mudra is making itself known as you purify with your practice (http://www.aypsite.org/56.html). If it is happening naturally, I wouldn't fight it, but I would hold off doing it intentionally until things stabilize.

If your thoughts want to hijack things, notice it and let it go, then return easily to the mantra. Good luck, hope you find relief.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 20 2017 :  11:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Does anyone have any tips on how I can rest the eyes or my face?

Any kind of intentional thinking causes strain in that area and I am now confused about how to think.

I agree with Dogboy, just would like to add, this is not unusual. We become aware of tensions which we have for a long time unconscious. Now we become conscious of them. Eyes or sight is a strong sense, eyes would like to hold everything, see as much as possible, even as we start meditating, the eyes try to see inside.

If possible on some other moments of the day relax your eyes, close them some time.

Relax your view, no focus if not necessary, just a relaxed wide view, relax the eyes, relax the mind.

It will pass.

Ps don't forget to take rest after meditation. Just sit or lie down, 5 till 10 minutes after practice. We need this to shift to daily life.

Edited by - Charliedog on May 20 2017 12:01:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kisen

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - May 21 2017 :  03:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the replies!

I have tried to anchor attention on the solar plexus and it seems to work much better so far, apart from some pressure existing right below my eyes (upper cheeks) but it seems to work much better!

Yes my eyes are usually very strained, to the point where I sometimes feel they are made of concrete and are trying to pop out of their sockets! Though my face seems to be tense in general but my eyes seem to be the main culprit.

I will try to do as you both suggested and report back!

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

Kisen

Malta
5 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  01:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone!

It seems my meditations so far has been smoother!

My only problem is when I feel the strong pressure under my eyes. Do I put my attention on it or ignore it?

If I continue repeating the mantra at this stage it gets more intense.

If I put my attention on it sometimes it intensifies and starts doing strong movements on its own.

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  05:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Kisen,

Do you suffer from sinus problems?
I would recommend that you do a few minutes of Alternate Nostril Breathing (Nadi Shodana) before deep meditation and see if you have any blockages or imbalances between the two nostrils. Alternate nostril breathing helps bring balance to the two side energy channels (Ida and Pingala) and can also help reduce pressure in the head. Should one of your nostrils be blocked - there are methods to wash it out - see nasal wash (jala neti).

Hope this helps

Sey

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 22 2017 :  05:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Kisen

Have a look at Lesson 15 http://www.aypsite.org/15.html
The 4th paragraph there tells us how to deal with strong sensations during meditation.

You will get through this difficulty. Take it easy, let it sort itself out. It is part of the process.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - May 26 2017 :  03:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have strong movements of head during meditation, also my body wants to move. I have found a way to relax in this, and let it go in a relaxed state while meditating.

It is hard to explain, but I just "relax into it". If my neck gets too tensed, I paus the mantra and let my head move, this works as a release, and the pressure from it wanting to move reduces, so to speak.

Movements of body is called automatic yoga, you can read about it on the AYP-site.

Maybe you will have to learn how to relax into it, but if it hurts or similar, reduce practice... Meditation should bring ease to your life, not strain.

I hope you find a way in this!

Edited by - colours on May 26 2017 05:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000