Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 How do you recognise you are in Samadhi?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  9:16:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Sounds like a silly question, but how does one realise that one is in Samadhi 1, the breathless state?

I just had a session of DM and I felt like sleeping, but was awake. Also first I thought my breath stopped, but then it felt like I would breath very subtle, on a microscopic level. Its hard to describe it felt like if I would breath but I was not breathing. Or if there was breath but some kind of other breath, that was not working with air.

Later my in corpse pose to settle down I realised that my arms and upper body was super cold, but my hands were quite warm.

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What's your definition of Samadhi (1)?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samadhi means absorption, absorption in bliss-consciousness. What you noticed we can call samadhi, a perfect balance only noticed when we come out of absorption.

Samadhi will change over time, we will enter and come back. We just are in Samadhi, conscious and in the moment. Like the breath you noticed, no inhale, no exhale, perfect equanimity. It is not easy to describe Samadhi, not for me anyway, it is to experience.

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  02:00:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lately I think I have been experiencing Samadhi in meditation, or something close to it. Absorption is a good word, almost as if you are going to disappear in it...

Also, when deep in meditation I can see this bright light. Even in a dull room, and cloudy weather... I wonder about this phenomenon.

/colours
Go to Top of Page

Domos

30 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2017 :  1:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are talking about formless Samadhi, then when there is no I left, that is Samadhi.
You wouldn't know it, because there is no you to know it.
When you (mind) come back, you will know you were in Samadhi (blissful non-dual Self-absorption).
If the mind doesn't come back, then your I (ego) has been dissolved permamently.

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2017 :  10:52:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Domos

...If the mind doesn't come back, then your I (ego) has been dissolved permamently.

I like this, because I know what you mean. I understand.

But still, if we are dissolved in Samadhi permanently, how can we still function in the world with no mind? Or is it simply the "Buddha-mind"?
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  01:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From Lesson 248 - Culture, Samadhi and Snow

quote:
Q: At the face of it, AYP seems a very simple practice to reach the ultimate goal of human existence. Then I wonder why did the Indian seers bog it down in so many esoteric practices, tantra procedures, yantras, rituals, etc.

Also I was reading Raja Yoga by Swami Vivekananda in which he quotes Patanjali mentioning many levels of Samadhi, and talks about Prakritilayas (sadhakas who don't reach the ultimate samadhi).

Can you please throw some light on the above two things.

quote:
On grades of samadhi, you know, the Eskimos have many words for snow. Why? Because they see so much of it, and have come to know its many grades of manifestation. Do all these different words for snow mean anything to a Hawaiian? Not much - not until the Hawaiian goes and lives with the Eskimos for a while. Then the words for snow begin to make sense. Samadhi is like that. When it becomes the common experience, then conversation about the different grades of samadhi begins to make sense. Until then, to study all that is an academic exercise. Does this promote enlightenment? Not really. Well, maybe it can motivate one to do practices. That is the real value of intellectual knowledge - its ability to inspire action!

Having said that, there are certain traditions that rely on determining the level of samadhi one is experiencing to decide which style of meditation to do. For them, this is very important, and it is to be respected. In AYP we use one style of meditation that covers the full scope of mind from the surface to the silent depths, so making all the samadhi distinctions is not necessary for effective practice. They are "under the hood" as we drive the car of our nervous system along with the easy-to-use meditation controls. It is just the same as chakras, which have been discussed as being "under the hood" in the early lessons (see #47). When we have a simple, effective practice, delving too much into the inner workings can be a distraction.So, in AYP we avoid going too far off into all those tempting tangents, whether they be intellectual tidbits or flashy experiences. We are interested in going deep into inner silence in meditation. Then we cultivate silence into dynamic manifestation throughout our nervous system with pranayama, samyama and many other means, until finally we see our Self, our inner silence, as being the essence of everything. Then we can appreciate all the grades of experience as manifestations of inner silence. And then we will be able to understand all those words for samadhi, and probably come up with a few of our own, because we will be living in it every day. It is much better to be cultivating our nervous system to live in samadhi than to be intellectualizing about it too much. That is the AYP approach.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  4:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  4:41:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Aguacate!

After Pranayama one may not feel the need to breath for many seconds, but that´s not the breathless state. In the breathless state, it´s as if your breathing mechanism closes and your lungs are sealed. Then other experiences may happen just afterwards. You´ll know for sure when it happens to you.

Regarding Samadhi, there are many types and you´ll know too, but I´ll say that Ananda, the great Bliss or Ecstasy, is unmistakable.

Best wishes,
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2017 :  7:47:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You know that you were in Samadhi when you come out of it. There are many many variations, so of course I do not know much, but this seems to be true.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000