Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 On Anger & Forgiveness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Sometimes in our life anger can come up. Sometimes it is a realisation of something which was not obvious before to us. Sometimes the anger is directed to others (aggression) and sometimes ourselves (depression).

I also heard that anger can come up as part of the cleaning as we are progressing on our spiritual journey. Sometimes old stories come up again, hurting things we forgot and are still angry with.

In this post I want to share two techniques that help me to deal and make final peace with frustration, anger and pain from the past. It works for me in both ways: forgiving others and forgiving myself.

The "burned letter tec":

One technique I stumbled upon first with J. Altucher was to try to forgive someone every day. There is no need for them to be there in person, or to even let them know. It is enough to write it down onto a sheet of paper and then burn it as forgiveness is a process that has to happen within us. For the same reason it doesn't help to say "I forgive you" to someone when it isn't meant honest [1]

I used that in the past with very good results.

Questioning & thinking tec:

I recently learned another way to help to forgive which is extremely powerful. For me it helps in cases were it is hard to forgive and be with it. I ask myself: "Do you want to forgive X?" I then answer the question for myself, which leads to a dialogue. It doesn't really matter if the initial answer is "yes" or "no". I open a space for an inner dialogue. A dialogue where I can take different perspectives. What was the person expecting, feeling and thinking? What was I expecting, feeling and thinking? The opening question helps me to create a space in which I can work with the topic and finally decide to forgive.

I also found an extended version for the "burned letter tec" by doing research for this forum post [2]

Love,
aguacate

[1] https://medium.com/the-mission/the-...ef03ec237d34
[2] http://www.positive-way.com/forgiven.htm

Edited by - aguacate on Apr 28 2017 9:10:10 PM

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  06:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  9:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Techniques don't work in the long run.
Go to Top of Page

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - May 01 2017 :  12:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Techniques don't work in the long run.

Hi lalow,

I feel a bit confused, can you elaborate a bit?

I'm curious why you think that way and what you are suggesting instead?

Go to Top of Page

IntelligentLabs

USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  11:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit IntelligentLabs's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi!

I think the best way is to focus on not letting anger overwhelm you - breathing can help a lot, also focusing on an activity close to your heart. Also, the simple thought that anger comes back to you rather than solving any problems may be a way to achieve inner piece. :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000