Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Question about talabya kriya
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Curious Joe

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2017 :  3:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi AYP I'm new here I just wanted to ask a question about talabya kriya I've been trying#8203; talabya kriya for a week and I don't know if this is what I suppose to feel, I feel when I put my tongue on the upper palate behind the upper teeth and create the suction cup effect the frenulum stretches but I don't feel the stress on the frenulum instead I feel stress on the lower jaw I don't know if that's how talabya works or what, I also have my mouth wide open while making the suction effect.

Curious Joe

USA
2 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  6:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anybody? I will be nice if I get an explanation I've been searching for an explanation almost 5 days
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2017 :  6:30:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Curious Joe:

Talabya is not about producing suction in the mouth to stretch the frenum, but about stretching and wearing away the frenum with the lower front teeth with the tongue extended outward. Here is a quote from AYP Plus Lesson Addition 108.2:

quote:
Talabya has been the method used in traditional kriya yoga for reducing the frenum and reaching above the soft palate, which is extending and stretching the tongue, and wearing the frenum away over time with the bottom row of teeth - quite a primitive method actually, which can leave avid practitioners at a disadvantage simply because of their anatomy.

Reducing the tendon with tiny cuts is prescribed in the ancient Hatha Yoga Pradipika (HYP), which helps level the playing field in terms of who can access higher stages of kechari mudra.

The AYP approach is in line with the latter method, except using tiny snips with a cuticle nipper, which is safer and more manageable than using a blade or sharp edge of a stiff leaf, as recommended in the HYP. Times change, and the methods may vary, but it always boils down to reducing an anatomical restriction that may hold us back from reaching kechari stage 2 and higher, when the time is right.

It should be mentioned that in the AYP approach daily deep meditation for some time is a prerequisite for kechari and all of the mudras and bandhas. After some months/years of daily meditation, the tongue tends to roll back naturally, and then we will know it may be time for us to address kechari mudra and other advanced techniques. Before then, such pursuits may be premature.

In a nutshell, the cultivation of abiding inner silence is the prerequisite for energetic awakening. It does not work as well the other way around.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

PS: Many practitioners experience a full energetic awakening without going beyond kechari stage 1, so reaching higher stages of kechari is not mandatory for everyone. The extremes of our practice are not what produce the lasting results. It is our balance and moderation (self-pacing) in daily practices over the long term that make the difference, with results measured by a steady improvement of the quality of our life in normal daily activity.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000