Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Progress/depression
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  3:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,
I've been meditating for almost a year now and in general have felt like I was progressing. Recently however I've fallen into a bad depression that feels very sticky and hard to get out of. I am wondering if it might be hindering my progress, since surely whilst purifying the nervous system I am simultaneously re-muddying it with all of my negative thoughts (almost constant...except while meditating or sleeping!). Seems like stoking a fire whilst pouring sand on it at the same time. It's disheartening.
Any thoughts on this, or things I could do?
Love,
Lou

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  8:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go talk to your physician about it. He can assess the need for further intervention. Meanwhile cut back on your meditation time if need be. Wishing you all the best
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2017 :  9:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I went through a period of depression early in college. What I was mainly lacking was vision. There was no perceptible horizon, no dream to chase. Then I had a spur of inspiration to pursue journalism, and I came out of the duldrums.

Yogani says: Dare to dream, and dare to act on your dream.

When we get depressed, it is a momentary lapse in our visionary mind. The antidote is to begin dreaming again, even amidst a flow of negative thoughts. Negative thoughts lose their weight in the light of higher vibration emotions and ruminations. And even negative thoughts can be re-directed to the chosen ideal for purposes of transformation.

Humor also helps. Not taking oneself too seriously, you know.

I'm about to leave for France next week for AYP Teacher Training, and this is what I just posted on Facebook:

In preparation for my trip to France next week, I'm trying to get a few key phrases dialed into memory so that I can speak congenially with the natives:

"Fetch me a croissant immediately, you peasant servant from medieval times."
"Take me to the nearest brothel."
"I've been sober for a while now, but I think I'm ready to relapse hard on some Burgundy wine. Please advise."

So, remember to laugh, take heart in the small miracles within and around you, and keep the faith!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  01:48:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Depression is anger turned inwards. The inability to act on actions you wish to take. A blockage in your path.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  06:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Louisac,
Excessive negative thoughts may be a sign of "too much" (excessive purification) - so please do self-pace and grounding activities as well.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2017 :  09:04:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Louisac,

Good advise from others already.

Try stopping all spiritual practices for a week or two or even longer and see how you feel. Agree with Sey that excessive negative thoughts is a sign of overload.

Lots of grounding-may be try a painting, gardening or dance class. Walking outdoors are great. Selfless service is tremendously helpful.

Things will get better in time- It always does.

Much Love
Sunyata

Here is Simple Man by Lynyrd Skynyrd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LetEM8CHWAA

Edited by - sunyata on Apr 12 2017 09:40:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2017 :  08:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great advice all around, grounding, getting in nature, and turning those thoughts inside out (noting that "this too shall pass" and allowing that to flow away on the next exhale can immediately lighten your mood). Recognizing this state is the first step in change.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2017 :  12:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lou.

For me, what works is grounding activities, which has been said already. Cutting back on practice while doing other things you like, something practical, or physical workout for example.

If you feel sick, talk to a psychiatrist and seek medical help... Depression is a serious state actually. But there is help to find.

Hope you have the strength to keep practicing in balance!

Love, colours

Edited by - colours on Apr 19 2017 2:59:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

aguacate

Germany
44 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2017 :  9:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi louisac,

hope you feel better now! I have to agree with the previous posters.

Did you get the problem solved? I just wrote on anger, frustration and forgiving others and yourself in the general section: http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=16800 - maybe it helps!
Go to Top of Page

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - May 11 2017 :  11:15:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,
here's my overdue reply. Much gratitude to all of you who offered advice. I am feeling a lot better now, but only because I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to live in a beautiful community in the countryside for a few months. Unfortunately I have also not been finding the time to meditate as I am settling into a new and intense work routine! But that will change.
Hopefully my stay here will give me time to rebuild myself. Being in nature helps, really helps.
Love and thanks,
lou
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - May 15 2017 :  08:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to hear - Nature is the best cure. I spent some time at communities in SW England a few years ago. Very nice way of life.. conducive to healing. All the best.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000