Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Introduction and some questions...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oxygen

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  12:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for an introduction....and I have some questions as well

I've had Yogani's books for a few years now.

I'm a little bit lost but will get to that shortly.

In 2000 I was lying in bed reading Tolle's Power of Now and decided to practise his healing meditation technique. After a few minutes I felt as If I'd been connected to the local power grid.

My body felt as if lifted from the bed and the surge of energy is beyond accurate describing.

Eventually it subsided and ever since I have had the "ability" to instigate the experience at will(at times it arises of it's own accord but I can always control it). Over time I realised that the "current" arises at the base of the spine but instantly "lights up" the entire cerebrospinal system.

Prior to this experience I had always been searching for....something...Yogananda's autobiography living close to my heart..(and always will),.but after phoning SRF many decades back I decided to look elsewhere.

Enter stage Left...the search....

Many dusty and dry dead-end years later I've ended up with quite the library.

For the last 2-3 years I've been practising Yogani's Meditation and SBP.

I tried Kechari Mudra a couple of times during that period (my tongue can't quite reach ) and I'm holding back on that because I don't believe I'm quite ready for it yet. When I've tried it my tongue seems to want to rule my body and insert itself and the energy being generated is just a little bit too overwhelming for comfort.

I've realised I am extremely sensitive to these practises and only practise once per day.

6 months ago during mediation I kept being led to two words.... "balance and...."grounding".

That led me to Mantak's books and Yang-Jwing Ming's.

I'm still working on the grounding and balancing (Zhan Zhuang included).

Whew...

My questions, if anyone can help are:

1)What is this "electric" energy that lights up my spine, but does nothing else...it's just energy and I wonder what it wants...where it wants to go...what it wants to achieve...?

2) During SBP I don't activate this energy as a rule...if I do it builds up enormous pressure in my head and it all gets a bit uncomfortable in the third eye/sinus region, yet I wonder if I should just let it rip and be damned or back off (as I have been)?

I realise this journey is my own with my own unique puzzles to solve and I've put off asking these questions for over 18 months now as I try to formulate my own practise routine.

Still....any advice or insight greatly appreciated and carefully considered.

Thank You in advance.

John

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  01:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My answer to question 1:

You have to dream a little. Give the energy some vision. Turn it into a personal story (refer to my response to SwamiX in the neighboring thread).

My answer to question 2:

I've backed off of spinal breathing the last couple years due to similar reasons. Nothing wrong with self-pacing. Stillness, as well as your two keys words of "balance" and "grounding" are far more important than letting the energy rip through your nerves with no meaningful purpose other than psyching oneself out. On that note, you might want to check out samyama, which is superb for cultivating an ideological foundation in stillness. Samyama has been more suitable to my nerves than spinal breathing.

The better one's ideas are, the better one's story will become. Essence precedes form.

Love. Radiance. Unity.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  01:29:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  03:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome Oxygen,

quote:
1)What is this "electric" energy that lights up my spine, but does nothing else...it's just energy and I wonder what it wants...where it wants to go...what it wants to achieve...?

This energy, as you noticed wants to light up your spine and your whole being. IMO this is the giver of life, the life-force. Yoga has written many lesson's about kundalini. Finding balance between inner silence and the energy is the way to enlightenment. To the merging between Shakti (energy) and Shiva (silence) very short said.

Here you can read all about kundalini http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

Wishing you a smooth journey

Edited by - Charliedog on Mar 30 2017 03:26:22 AM
Go to Top of Page

Oxygen

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2017 :  11:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Body Tree...many thanks. Indeed immediately after posting and prior to reading any replies I ended up with Yogani's Samyama book in my hands, Go figure

Giving the energy some vision I'm still digesting and some subtle chimes are ringing.

Jusmail....Thanks!

Charliedog...I'd read that information before about 12 months back. I re-read it today and realised I was gaining insights I did not initially (so thank you).

I'm restructuring my practises now based on new, unfolding insights. Will be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  04:41:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum Oxygen!

It sounds like your kundalini energy is easily stirred. It might be best for you to focus on developing inner silence (meditation is for that) and go prudently on energy practices. The Easy Lesson book will answer your questions in detail.
quote:
Originally posted by Oxygen
2) During SBP I don't activate this energy as a rule...if I do it builds up enormous pressure in my head and it all gets a bit uncomfortable in the third eye/sinus region, yet I wonder if I should just let it rip and be damned or back off (as I have been)?

Letting it rip is not the way we do things in AYP. A little pressure here and there is OK, but serious discomfort and pain are to be avoided through self-pacing.

SBP can work both ways. Some find it balances the energy, but it also stimulates it. If you are quite sensitive you need to experiment carefully.

The idea is not to endanger your meditation practice. If the energy gets out of control to the point where you're not even able to meditate any more, that is not good. For as log as you meditate, you are making steady progress. The other practices will speed up progress and you need to gauge the speed so that you don't get derailed. It's a balancing act.

Best wishes

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 31 2017 04:51:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  09:49:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Body Tree...many thanks. Indeed immediately after posting and prior to reading any replies I ended up with Yogani's Samyama book in my hands, Go figure

Synchronicity, as they say! Best wishes on your journey. Your writing is very coherent and clear. Thank you for reporting.

The door is always open here. 24/7/365.

Love. Radiance. Unity.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2017 :  10:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Charliedog...I'd read that information before about 12 months back. I re-read it today and realised I was gaining insights I did not initially

That's how it works with the lessons and books of Yogani. It is very useful to re-read, we will discover new insights in the lessons as the our path unfolds.
Go to Top of Page

Oxygen

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  8:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat,

On reflection I believe you are right. Ever since this energy manifested and I found these practises (while specifically searching for Kriya), I have been concentrating on the energy side of the equation to the detriment of the inner silence side of the coin.

That said, I do feel strongly drawn to Samyama even though I only have a toe dipped into the pool of infinite inner silence (to paraphrase Yogani).

All replies to my questions I have found valuable and very helpful so to you also....Thank-you!

I'll be structuring my practises now around a stronger foundation of Deep Meditation with less emphasis on SBP and an experimental toe dipping into the pool of Samyama.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2017 :  9:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I crave inner silence, much like I crave oxygen to breathe.
Go to Top of Page

Oxygen

Australia
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  07:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing will stand in my way.

Not even me....

Wow...where did that come from...

So much turmoil within and without and yet...with a toe dipped in the pool of grounding this....this...energy...that I have lived with for so long...for...so so so long...has at least and at last tasted....nay, merely glimpsed the sweet hope of purpose.

Oh sweet Samyama!!!!!

Oh thank you posters all!

Melodramatic?

Nah.

Through the advice offered here I restructured my practises and have been led to read/absorb/digest/assimilate a few things I thought I knew in a different light and another practise I was unfamiliar with (samyama) adopted.

I should mention that just prior to my first post here I "let go" in my search for answers, (at least in my own limited way) and my questing post here was a "symptom" of that.

Anyway...how do you even begin to explain a few moments of absolute focus and calmness and unified connectedness (while eating breakfast in a cafe) that is beyond anything you have ever experienced before?

Especially whenever all you seem to have ever experienced is total turmoil within which you are trying to distill at least some mere glimpse of something actually worth attaining or experiencing ...

How do you explain or understand a moment of listening to another when you would usually (politely) walk away.

How do you then comprehend the reality (that you know deep down), that you have always wanted and needed everything you have just glimpsed. Craved it to the point that it's cell deep.

When there are these two sides to you...one that is totally self-serving and another that is wanting nothing more than to express pure love, love beyond comprehending or your own understanding.

I've "learned" so much these last few days...relatively at any rate.

The guru is indeed within me....but it doesn't shout...yell....or even whisper....it....prompts.... with a gentle subtlety....like a fragile gossamer thread of light....and to hear it...ahh...

So what's changed?

Well...nothing...and everything. Ah...the specifics...

And of course these are MY specifics that suit MY unfolding.

Finally realised that the AYP approach to SBP was two sided. Every time I did AYP SBP I was never satisfied as the energy wanted to go further, so I explored all sorts of approaches from different traditions. Water paths...Wind paths....Fire paths..Microcosmic orbit paths.

Energy paths (gimme the goodies now I want the good oil NOW!) at the expense of cultivating the very foundation that makes it all truly "spark"....inner silence.

WTF...I've never had that..ever.

Days ago...

Step 1) Sphere Breathing...deep balloon like abdominal breathing

Step 2) During SBP I started to bring the energy back down during the exhalation, rather than "leaving it hanging" in my head. I actively started drawing the energy back down.

Step 3) Sphere Breathing

Step 4) Ayam (I am)

Step 5) Samyama

Step 6) Chill for a bit

Previously....SBP (various types on different days) and ayam meditation was it ...for years.

I think perhaps I was performing these actions robotically without any real.....oh I dunno....something was always missing and I don't know what. Don't get me wrong energy was moving and at times "nuclear" in intensity.....but the grounding of inner silence was missing for me...(hindsight)...it is discovering Samyama (I'm talking three days here) that is starting to ground me.

And I have only TOUCHED BASE with Samyama and the practise seems to have instantly stabilised whatever is going on within me and the incredible thing is that I know what I have experienced in the last few days is just a fleeting peripheral glimpse of what is.

Whew....

So many werd-thingies...

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  4:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's to touching base. Onward.
Go to Top of Page

JR8036

USA
281 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  6:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You will get used to these changes eventually. Listen to your inner guru. It will be your best way forward.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2017 :  9:43:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inner Silence is the tide flowing in, Samyama is the tide flowing out. As a result comes the knowing of your connectivity to All. Welcome, Oxygen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000