Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 pulled muscle/nerves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  12:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
namasthe members

I have started aasanas from 8 months on my own and trying to do the postures exactly as practitioners do in the videos which I now realised is wrong and seeking personal guidance.
however trying to touch my feet during uttanasan and eka pada / dwipada urdhva prasaritha padasana may have damaged my lower back muscles/nerves as the pain around that area is not subsiding even after 3 months . Doc's have ruled out any severe damage .

please clarify the length of time it would take for this kind of injury to heal and if the above two aasanas can damage lower back muscles or nerves.
with many regards
madhu. sood

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  1:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello madhusood

Three months is a long time, you must have really strained it. My understanding of lower back strains is equal amounts of rest and light activity (walking). I highly recommend restorative forward folds and seated folds, resting your butt on a wall and bending your knees slightly.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  2:54:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi madhusood,

Lower back pain can have many causes, so I would advice you to go to a manual therapist.
If you did the above mentioned asana in a forced way it is even possible to get injuries like hernia. Not that I am saying you have that, I surely don't hope so for you, but even as you have a hernia it could heal with rest most of the times. (this could sometimes take a longer time)

When we start with asana it is best to learn this from an experienced yoga teacher. I know you know this now and I am sorry that you find out the hard way.
Videos and photo's show mostly skilled flexible people, bending with the knees stretched for instance. This puts a lot of strain on the lower back.
The two asanas you mentioned are best to learn with bended knees and without strain or pulling on the back, working from the breath and keep it kind of effortless. I know there is a lot of differences in teaching asana, that's why I am hesitated to write about how to perform them.

Some exercises you can do at this moment is cat /cowpose (sitting on hands and knees) in a very relaxed way, let the movement follow the breath, exhale make the back round,chin to chest inhale slightly hollow the back, lift the head. Don't make the back too hollow.

Lay on your back, footsoles hip wide on the floor and slowly bring the knees exhale to the left, inhale up and exhale to the right. Let the movement follow the breath, so don't hurry, and don't push the knees.

You can do this 2 or 3 times a day 10 x for instance.

If your pain is from hernia I would not advice the forward bendings of Dogboy's only if you are absolutely sure it is not hernia. Walking like he mentioned is excellent.

As said before I strongly advice a therapist for advice. ( I am yoga teacher)

Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  4:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I second both Dogs - those asanas can be potentially dangerous for your back, and after 3 moths of pain you really need the help of a therapist. Wish you all the best.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  4:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi madhusood,

Good advice from the experts. Hope you feel better soon. It's very important to keep your core engaged in order to prevent lower back injuries during Asanas.
Never jam yourself into a pose. The body opens up slowly. The breath has to be free and effortless.

Edited by - sunyata on Mar 11 2017 5:02:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nirguna

Australia
57 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  07:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be so many things. Go see GOOD osteopath!!! Find first what the problem really is....
Go to Top of Page

madhusood

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2017 :  9:43:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks to
Dogboy, charliedog,Ecdyonurus,sunyata and nirguna. i will follow ur advise in my practices from now. however i have decided to give asanas a break and see a therapist
regards
madhusood
Go to Top of Page

amoux

United Kingdom
266 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2017 :  7:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
madhusood - you might benefit from seeing a Bowen therapist - this is an exceptionally gentle technique that is also quite exceptionally effective. When I was practically unable to walk with back pain a couple of years back, a Bowen therapist got me back fully mobile in 3 sessions in the course of two weeks - hugely helpful, gentle and effective. Just a thought
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000