Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Head starts positioning into "sleep-mode"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buu

Spain
42 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2017 :  1:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone!

For the last 6 months, due to a condition with my right arm, I have to sleep with my face turned to the left. The body is with the belly towards the bed. If I turn the head to the right, I have to put my arm in a position that is not confortable.

Here in this pic, I sleep like the middle lady.
http://newspropro.com/wp-content/up...-snoring.png

Lately, during DM, I notice my head is on the same very position!
It's a bit down and to the left, just like when sleeping.. I don't recall getting there, but if I put it up, eventually, a couple mins later I notice my head is again on the same position.

I think this is because I've slept on the same exact position and side for the last 6 months, so whenever my body seems to 'start going to sleep' (very very relaxed), the head adotps that position.

What can I do to fix this, or should I just let it happen?
Sometimes it's like I'm meditating with my head half-towards-left..

Another thing that has been happening lately is, during DM, I find myself with the mouth opened. My nose-breathing automatically gets so so so shallow and my mouth, involuntary, starts to open.. this gets my tongue/lips very dry, which means I drink a lot of water afterwards. Again like the head-thing, if I close it, a couple mins later it is opened again without "me" doing anything to open it.

What can I do about it or should I even care ?

Thanks everyone, you've been a great help lately

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  03:20:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buu,
Interesting questions.
I have often seen people put their head to the side in meditation, without being aware of it.
Also, with some, their head went backwards and they opened their mouth and produced such a peaceful ujjayi sound.
One would think they were snoring , were it not such a beautiful and relaxing sound.
I have given up on understanding body`s every whim, but if somebody here has an answer to why these phenomens happen, please do share!!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  09:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Buu

Lately, during DM, I notice my head is on the same very position!
It's a bit down and to the left, just like when sleeping.. I don't recall getting there, but if I put it up, eventually, a couple mins later I notice my head is again on the same position.

Hi Buu,

Do you think you may be falling asleep? It's common for the body to fall asleep when we first take up meditation. I've snoozed for an hour during my earlier days of practices.

Agree with Mykal. Better not to nitpick every experience just favor the practice.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2017 :  10:20:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Buu,
You received already good advice from Sunyata and Mykal. Just would like to add, if you notice that your mouth is open, better close it. Breathing thru the nose is favored (unless you have a blocked nose) this purifies prana, breathing thru the mouth activates fight and flight reactions in the body. Not useful during meditation Also when the head is backwards like Mykal mentioned and you notice it bring it back with the crown upwards. This allows a better alignment for the energy.

Just easily favor this when noticed, no worry

PS Like every part of the body, also head movements can be made by purification (automatic yoga or kriya) but also the head is heavy and when we relax it will follow the gravity.

Edited by - Charliedog on Feb 24 2017 11:15:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2017 :  05:15:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Buu, I agree that this is not something that should be controlled, except as Charlie suggests. My guess is that your arm and head are favoring a more comfortable position both when sleeping and when meditating. When your right arm becomes more normal (assuming the condition is under recovery), your posture will become more balanced.

It could also be that you could use some trainng in posture. I found that when I began a class in physical yoga (a beginner-friendly class in Iyengar yoga), I started to be aware of my posture and would correct it sometimes. The most significant asana was tadasana, but the teacher was really just teaching the kind of spinal alignment that is helpful in all asanas. I found that my posture did actually improve and I learned to see when there might be something wrong in my back. Sometimes I now hunch my back for clear reasons, and no longer worry about it.

I also found that it helps while walking, riding a bicycle, and working at the computer.

One-pointedness during daily life!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000