New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  10:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi,

I will teach another yoga course this spring, and I wonder what I could do to support my students to meditate regularly. I am looking for some advice. So, what is the reason you started to meditate regularly? What marked the turning point? Anything related to a place, a person, a group? How did you make your meditation a habit?
If you are pretty new at meditation or not so new, your advice is appreciated.

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  01:52:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
after TTC

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  03:33:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,
For me it was my first teacher, after been to a yoga and meditation weekend were we meditated together I started with my daily practice.

As nowadays teacher I mention sometimes a challenge 40 days meditation in a row. Or 40 days of sun salutation to receive strength after the winter. I give them a calendar to mark the 40 days. Some of the students are practicing daily now, they noticed the benefits.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  05:58:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
For me it was the realization that meditation was the missing piece of the yoga puzzle. This happened when a internet search on tantra brought me to AYP and I discovered the free meditation lessons. The moment (and price!) was ripe with promise.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  06:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche, I don't know what it was, but something inside me resonated fully with the idea of a regular meditation practice. I never had to "force" myself to do it. Meditation felt required and in line with myself, like eating or sleeping does. But I suppose that this is quite common.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  06:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maheswari & Charliedog,

Thank you for your suggestions. It seems that having a more packed experience (TTC, a weekend of practice) helped. I will look into having a little retreat for the group one weekend. I like Charliedog's idea of giving people a calendar to mark the 40 days of meditation-I will do that!

Edited by - Blanche on Jan 20 2017 07:08:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  07:08:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy and Ecdyonurus,

I appreciate your answers. You point to a more internal drive to meditate, which I supposed it is true for most of us. Now my experience is that I have never decided what to do, but the Unseen Doer has done everything. But I remember that I used to believe that I was making decisions, so I would try to operate within this mind-frame. Well, if there are any triggers to flip the meditation switch, it is worth the effort. Once someone meditates regularly, the process will naturally reinforce itself.
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  08:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You can point them here .
I know of one person who started meditating regularly after coming to this site, before that it was a drag...
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  08:37:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche

IMO the teacher’s ability to teach every student well tailored tools is a very relevant skill A meditation approach may be perfect for me but create big strain in someone else’s life. This implies listening carefully and understanding every student as a unique person.

On a technical level, I think that a teacher should be able to teach a reasonable number of different meditation techniques. You probalby have to expect quite a wide range of students with very different needs in terms of meditation techniques.

Of course, if your class is labeled in a clear and explicit way (for example «TM» or «AYP» etc.), most of your students will walk into your class room because they want to learn that specific meditation technique. But even then you have to expect that the technique may not be suitable for everybody, so you need some other tools to teach anyway.

Also, I would ask people when and where they spontaneously feel the need to relax, center and regenerate themselves during the day, because it is in those already existing transition phases that one can easily implement a (beginner’s) meditation moment.

Just my opinion, of course.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,

Good suggestions already.

I started meditation after the awakening.

I'm assuming the students are fairly new to meditation. Mentioning something along the lines- Do you remember the first time you fell in Love? Meditation will make you feel that way about Life.
I know it sounds corny. But it's so true...LOL

I would also mention that meditation is like building a spiritual muscle with consistent practice,the fruits will speak for itself.
Patience, Faith, Dedication/Consistency are the main ingredients to walk this path.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 20 2017 10:18:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  11:18:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche & all

Winding back twenty something odd years, to our first yoga teaching, here is what I can say:
- I was quite keen to practice the asanas between classes because the improvement gained through daily practice was visible.
- I think I would have practice meditation more conscientiously if the teacher asked about it. Not in a policing way, but just to bring to the fore what is important (what gets attention is perceived to be important, right?). So a question like "How many of you practised meditation every day since our last class? Hands up. And how many practised on at least 5 days out of the last 7?" etc. you can go on like that, reducing the number to 1.

On the same idea that what receives attention is seen as important, I would reserve plenty of time for people to discuss their meditation practice. Even if that practice is scarce and not many comments come forth. If the situation is really dire, I would have some meditation Q&As from Yogani's book at hand. People can have a read and discuss a lesson at the time. And if people don't like having asana time curtailed and meditation discussions expanded, then they are probably coming to the wrong class.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jan 20 2017 11:19:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  5:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Blanche

So, what is the reason you started to meditate regularly? What marked the turning point?

Pathetic desperation and the impulsive urge to escape reality.
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  6:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha I like Bodhi Tree's reason For me I think it was a desire for mental stability that drove me to seek a solution and that search led me to meditation. That was when I was about 20 back in the late 70's. Since then I have learned the art of motivating people. I would say that a deeply calm and peaceful instructor would make anyone seeking those qualities curious about what she/he does to be that way.

Myself, if I was in front of a group of Yoga practitioners, I would talk to them about how our modern Western lifestyle and materialism causes us so much phycological harm and how meditation is Yoga's solution. Then I would go into the beifits of regular effective meditation. If you are a good example of those effects and you tell them about meditation in a clear and understandable way, then I bet many of your students would be willing to learn how to meditate from you.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  6:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:

So, what is the reason you started to meditate regularly? What marked the turning point?

LoL.Yes, couldn't agree more!
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2017 :  10:37:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I began to experience more inner peace, happiness, stability, and an easier flow in life. Once I gained some momentum, it became more effortless.

Much love

c

Edited by - cosmic on Jan 20 2017 10:41:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  08:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Mikal K,

Handouts are given every week, and each of them includes the AYP website. Seeds ready to spring, if planted... Thanks for your post.

Edited by - Blanche on Jan 21 2017 11:21:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  09:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Hi Blanche

IMO the teacher’s ability to teach every student well tailored tools is a very relevant skill A meditation approach may be perfect for me but create big strain in someone else’s life. This implies listening carefully and understanding every student as a unique person.

Hi Ecdyonurus,
Thank you for your post. Yes, an ideal teacher would be best for everyone. Of course, only ideal students have ideal teachers I am not for sure such a teacher, as the experience here is still that "I" does not even exist - I am nothing, which is a lot of fun Somehow, this teaching wants to happen - and I am only a participant in this unfolding, a connector. I will work to fit individual needs, the best I can.

quote:

Also, I would ask people when and where they spontaneously feel the need to relax, center and regenerate themselves during the day, because it is in those already existing transition phases that one can easily implement a (beginner’s) meditation moment.

This is a great insight. I will do that. Yes, every moment of transition is a thinning of the veils that hide the infinite, a chance to see beyond what it is considered the world.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  11:48:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Somehow, this teaching wants to happen - and I am only a participant in this unfolding, a connector. I will work to fit individual needs, the best I can.

To have trust or faith in that what we do is all we, and others need to unfold.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  8:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata

Hi Blanche,
I'm assuming the students are fairly new to meditation. Mentioning something along the lines- Do you remember the first time you fell in Love? Meditation will make you feel that way about Life.
I know it sounds corny. But it's so true...LOL

I would also mention that meditation is like building a spiritual muscle with consistent practice,the fruits will speak for itself.
Patience, Faith, Dedication/Consistency are the main ingredients to walk this path.

Yes, most of the people are new, with some taking their first class of yoga. Well said: Meditation is falling in love with Life.

Once started, regular meditation will reinforce itself.Thank you for your input, Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  8:46:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, BlueRaincoat -

Thank you for your answer. I definitely put accent on meditation, as the core of yoga practice. I think some people might have given up on the class because of that. But then I found out that other people would drive an hour to come to class. I will think about asking directly about the daily mediation practice. We do have some brief discussion at the end of the class (1 h asanas,pranayama, bandhas, etc + 30 minutes mediation and discussion). An extended talk would be possible in a retreat setting - I will have to look into that. I do direct people to the AYP website. Good idea to bring Yogani's books to class, maybe get more interest.

Edited by - Blanche on Jan 21 2017 9:12:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  8:48:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree

quote:

These should work for the rest of the people not convinced by previous arguments.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  9:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Herb,

Thank you for your post. You mention the need to state the benefits of meditation, but you also underline the importance of the way the teachings are delivered: clear, persuasive, calm. Good points - I'll do my best.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  9:11:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by cosmic

I began to experience more inner peace, happiness, stability, and an easier flow in life. Once I gained some momentum, it became more effortless.

Much love

c

Hi Cosmic,

This is a great testimony on the effects of daily meditation. May I cite you?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  9:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

quote:
Somehow, this teaching wants to happen - and I am only a participant in this unfolding, a connector. I will work to fit individual needs, the best I can.

To have trust or faith in that what we do is all we, and others need to unfold.

Wisdom speaking, Charliedog
Go to Top of Page

BeezBuzz

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  9:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche,
For me it was a variety of factors, but reading about, and even just seeing pictures of past realised beings and yogis provided the aspiration to 'get there'. Not to emulate them but to 'Be' where they r, to Know what they know. And they would all say the same thing; the way to get there is to meditate.

You may want to keep things contemporary but that's how it was for me
Go to Top of Page

cosmic

USA
821 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2017 :  11:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Cosmic,

This is a great testimony on the effects of daily meditation. May I cite you?

Cite away!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000