Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Meditating in Public
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  6:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I sit in a large, sparsly populated, cafeteria for about an hour and half on work days waiting for the final part of my work task, which I can't begin till a certain time. Today my wife will be waiting for me when I get home to go out with me to do a bunch of things. So I decided to meditate in public. My attitude is so what if people see me and wonder what I'm doing, even if they may disapprove, maybe someone might even like that I'm meditating or ask me about it sometime and give me the opportunity to tell them about this great thing we do

The probem was, I had a very difficult time meditating. While I was struggling with just staying relaxed and going through the drill, I kept remembering Yogani's councel on how difficulty in meditation is just the cleansing of the nervous system going on. Man, I must have suddenly had a LOT of cleansing to do! Finally, I decided to stop short of my regular 20 minutes.

Any advice, I'm waiting for, "Ya don't meditate in public you dork." But can anyone elaborate a little more than that for me? Thanks

Frustrated

Edited by - Herb on Jan 16 2017 6:42:21 PM

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  7:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As long as others are not put to hardship, there is no cause for worry. Be as comfortable as you can and don't forget to take rest at the end of the session. 5 to 10 minutes of rest is a good bridge between spiritual activity and daily life.
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  11:30:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes if I would have taken that much time to rest at the end of the session it would have been a full length meditation. I was getting frustrsted because I couldn't relax into my regular routine and then ended the session too quickly. Thank you Jusmail
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  02:36:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In such a situation, you could try to dive into that very feeling of fristration as your meditation object.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  04:39:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote Herb
quote:
My attitude is so what if people see me and wonder what I'm doing, even if they may disapprove, maybe someone might even like that I'm meditating or ask me about it sometime and give me the opportunity to tell them about this great thing we do

It can take some time to get used to meditate in public. Just by doing it anyway, no matter what feelings come up, you will get used to it. Accept the feelings, see them for what they are and stop if it becomes too uncomfortable. After, like jusmail points out, during restperiode, just sit and look easily around.

From own experience maybe not completely the same, but kind of...When I am on vacation I like to practice outside, meditation but my asana practice also. If possible on the beach. I will do that early in the morning but still, mostly I am not the only one on the beach.

It took really some years before I could do this undisturbed by my own shame, thoughts and frustration about the shame etc. Eventually it worked out, and the feeling of freedom is worth every struggle from the beginning.

Of course it is very comfortable and helpful to have a safe place for practice, this brings you already in the flow, just by entering the place.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jan 17 2017 04:40:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  09:46:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Herb,

Just take advantage of being outside and do some light asanas. You can use earplugs when meditating in public. Eventually you'll get used to it and will not need them. Dropping all expectation of how each meditation should be helps as well.

Ultimately that's what we learn from meditation, being okay with whatever arises on the cushion, in our inner life and out in the world.

Edited by - sunyata on Jan 17 2017 10:16:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  10:38:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Each and every comment and suggestion was great. My meditation yesterday was not the first time I meditated in public. I went to a Hindu Temple on Sunday where I was treated with great kindness and given a front row seat to watch and experience their amazing worship service. The Puntid or priest was also very kind and attentive to me before the service(I could feel his compassion towards me).

I was the only white(non Indian) person at the service and it was a large service but everyone seemed to accept me there totally. The litergy and chanting was all in Sanskrit and there was no english spoken during the actual service. The Sanskrit chanting was so soothing and rythmic that I fell into a fairly deep state of meditation even though I was faceing well over a hundred people all sitting on the floor while I was on a chair.

I mention all this because of Charliedog's comment. Yes Charlie, I was quite self consious yesterday in the cafeteria. And my comments like "so what, what others think" were a reflection of my self consciousness and how I was trying to overcome it. In a room full of practicing Hindu's I felt no such self consciousness, only acceptence, and so was able to meditate easily.

This is such a great site. Thank you Yogani and all of you who love to help so selflessly

Edited by - Herb on Jan 17 2017 10:43:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  10:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Herb

I mention all this because of Charliedog's comment. Yes Charlie, I was quite self consious yesterday in the cafeteria. And my comments like "so what, what others think" were a reflection of my self consciousness and how I was trying to overcome it. In a room full of practicing Hindu's I felt no such self consciousness, only acceptence, and so was able to meditate easily.

Ah..Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  11:09:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Charliedog, I would practice on the beach( during vacation since I do not live near a beach). I loved it.

My city built a garden outside of the Art center. It was beautiful. I would go twice a week. Do some postures and some meditation. I noticed that a homeless guy started appearing at the same time I was there. I tried to be comfortable, but I wasn't. I was getting bad vibes, so I stopped going there.

From my own experience, I wouldn't recommend women meditating alone out by themselves, not in a secluded environment.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  11:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Herb,
Yes it is different when meditating with others, beautiful experiences. I Have also memories with Hindu tempels and priests, precious memories.

@lalow, wise words. I remember once meditating on the beach at sunrise, close to the sea, a strange dog came sitting next to me, and all kind of birds flew around me.
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  4:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ialow yes I agree. It's always important to be aware of your surroundings when in a vulnerable area and you can't do that properly while meditating. Predators aways look for easy prey, eh? I'm Canadian eh.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  08:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Herb

Yes if I would have taken that much time to rest at the end of the session it would have been a full length meditation. I was getting frustrsted because I couldn't relax into my regular routine and then ended the session too quickly. Thank you Jusmail

When I was in college I commuted on the subway train to the campus. I meditated (I did Transcendental Meditation in those days) while on the train surrounded by rush hour riders. It took some time to become comfortable, but I saw all related thoughts and feelings as the thoughts that happen, and to return to the mantra when each one is finished. Physical disruptions (rare, even on the crowded "L") were to be handled, but I stopped trying to meditate while standing. Eventually I would even find inner silence while on the train.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000