Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Selfless Service
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

wonderd

USA
14 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  8:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone. After reading the Bhagavad Gita the mention of selfless service comes up often. I imagine this is talking about volunteering at organizations/helping the community? If there are members here who practice selfless service, would you mind sharing what type of selfless service you do and if it has impacted your life in any way.

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  9:13:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wondered I learned about selfless service from a great Karma Yogi on my personal quest for spirituality(God Realization). He called it selfless service with no attachment to the fruit. Self-Realization through selfless service made so much sense to me as explained by a great Karma Yogi that I started doing volunteer work at a Salvation Army Homeless drop in centre. And the advice bore fruit almost immediately and became one of the greatest things I have ever done.

Each day before entering into the drop in centre I would have a solemn prayer and ernestly ask God to use me for His own purposes. That prayer would often turn into an act of self surrender. And amazing things followed. I can honestly say that doing selfless service has given me more joy and devine experiences than anything else I have ever done.

A related practice called "Renunciation made for the sake of service" is also something I was doing and may have contributed to how much grace I experienced doing service.

Herb

Edited by - Herb on Jan 14 2017 9:31:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  10:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, when I do selfless service, I first enter into invisibility mode, because I want to take myself out of the equation right off the bat, thereby becoming more selfless. Then, once invisible, I go around and trim people's hedges and water their plants and do other yard work--unbeknownst to them, of course. Sometimes, I enter their house (invisibly), and walk their dogs. Naturally, it's a good deed I'm doing, so I assume I don't need permission, and obviously, if they knew I was walking their dog, that would rob the experience of selflessness. No credit, and no benefit for me. I don't enjoy any of my selfless service, because to enjoy the activities would feed my selfishness, thereby counteracting my attempt at true, genuine, heartfelt selflessness.

One day I will be permanently invisible, with no identity whatsoever, and my selfless deeds of charity will spread across the globe anonymously and undetected. Until that day, I just have to hide myself as much as possible...eagerly awaiting my final dissolution.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  02:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Selfless service we can do on every level, everywhere, for me it means, be aware.

See every human-being and other living souls with awareness.

Be aware that every one around you needs love and attention. Give what you would like to receive (without expecting back).

If we do this, we will act that way, we will automatically help and give where needed.

And of course we can do volunteer work for the community as well.

Like Herb I have a Universal prayer, that helps me to be aware.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jan 15 2017 04:04:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  07:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Bodhi Tree
One day I will be permanently invisible, with no identity whatsoever, and my selfless deeds of charity will spread across the globe anonymously and undetected. Until that day, I just have to hide myself as much as possible...eagerly awaiting my final dissolution.

Bodhi
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  12:41:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
when all is surrendered to the divine all is selfless service, getting to the all now thats another matter.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  11:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ummm... Don't know about selfless service, not sure I'd even be aware of it!

I have volunteered for two two different places. The first was many years ago. I had some extra time. It was for the local Big Brothers Big Sisters Org. I helped with fund raising and several events. It was awesome. I loved it.

More recently, I volunteered at the yoga studio where I was taking classes. It was not good. I knew by week 2 that it wasn't good for me or the studio, but I had made a commement for 12 weeks. I should have been an adult and told them it's not working, but I tried to be humble and do better. It did not end well. I had good intentions. I tried to be a good volunteer. The best course of action would have been stopping after week 2.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  02:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Selfless service can be overdone. If it is too stressful don't do it.
We all like to be Mother Theresa, but if we are not loving ourselves first,
then how can you love others ?

HTH
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  08:09:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Selfless service can be done anywhere, just look around and see how you can be helpful, without expecting any benefit from it: someone needs a ride, someone else needs a baby sitter for a day, someone is sick and would appreciate a warm meal, someone needs a ear to hear her... The possibilities are endless. I find that often I do not need to look around - just to say yes to what comes my way.

There are studies that show that helping others correlates with our wellbeing. We are doing seva, and we are the first ones to benefit.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. It's just when that person that wanted a certain ride wants to go 5 different places. It's not always easy.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  7:47:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lalow,
I ran in some of these problems. It is hard to set limits sometimes. But as living a regular life, I have many other obligations that keep me from drifting away from the course. I usually set time limits: "I could drive you anyway until 3 pm, when I have to do another thing.", "I could come to help for 2 hours on Saturday morning." It does make it easier to manage the schedule. I am not trying to be perfect, I am just doing the best I can, giving the limited time and resources.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  03:16:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Take care not to forget yourself as Wolfgang points out. I need time to be alone in silence to fuel.

Only then I can give to others. May be this is only me, but I can only do one thing at a time. So I do my schedule with open spaces. I can't multitask anymore. I believe this made me a more patient and loving person. I also stopped with explaining why I do the things I do my way.
Well I might be off-topic now.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jan 19 2017 03:27:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  06:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charliedog,
I think that it is a basic human need to be alone, in silence. To connect with the Source, with our Being. To nourish the Wholeness before giving it all away. It feels like I am busy all day, but I am not doing anything. There is only stillness. And when the stillness moves, that is bliss.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  07:57:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You said it beautiful Blanche
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  08:46:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful Ladies (Charleidog & Blanche)
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2017 :  9:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Herb

Canada
111 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2017 :  10:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just read this and wanted to share it with the forum:
-----Work Ethic-------

"The dedication of the fruits of one's work to God is a spiritual exercise of vital importance; especially to those who are compelled by their duties to lead very active lives.

"It is known as Karma yoga; the way to union with God through the performance of God-dedicated action. In following karma yoga, the devotee's whole life becomes one unending ritual; since every action is performed as an offering of devotion to God, not in the hope of one's personal gain or advantage.

"Needless to say, the actions done in this spirit must be 'right' actions--we must never offer to God an action which seems to us, at that particular moment and stage of our development, to be wrong. And we must work, always, to the very best of our ability, we dare not offer our second best.

To dedicate the fruits of one's work to God is to work with non-attachment.* Having done the best that we know, we must not despair if our work has disappointing results, or is harshly criticized, or disregarded altogether.

By the same token, we must not give way to pride and self-regarding vanity if the results of our work are successful and win popular praise. Only we can know if we have done our best, and that knowledge is our only legitimate reward."

*Non-attachment has to do with the results, not our attitude while we are performing our work. Disinterest leads to slovenly work and will always fall way short of offering God our best. Non-attached work in the yogic sense can and should be done with spirit, a bright smile and a beaming attitude. This kind of activity is a valid form of worship and, as such, can be done with great joy and intense enthusiasm.

From the commentary on Sutra 1, chapter 2: "Austerity, study, and the dedication of the fruits of one's work to God: these are the preliminary steps toward yoga." In How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali

Edited by - Herb on Feb 11 2017 11:24:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2017 :  09:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Herb

I just read this and wanted to share it with the forum:
-----Work Ethic-------

"The dedication of the fruits of one's work to God is a spiritual exercise of vital importance; especially to those who are compelled by their duties to lead very active lives.

"It is known as Karma yoga; the way to union with God through the performance of God-dedicated action. In following karma yoga, the devotee's whole life becomes one unending ritual; since every action is performed as an offering of devotion to God, not in the hope of one's personal gain or advantage.

"Needless to say, the actions done in this spirit must be 'right' actions--we must never offer to God an action which seems to us, at that particular moment and stage of our development, to be wrong. And we must work, always, to the very best of our ability, we dare not offer our second best.

To dedicate the fruits of one's work to God is to work with non-attachment.* Having done the best that we know, we must not despair if our work has disappointing results, or is harshly criticized, or disregarded altogether.

By the same token, we must not give way to pride and self-regarding vanity if the results of our work are successful and win popular praise. Only we can know if we have done our best, and that knowledge is our only legitimate reward."

*Non-attachment has to do with the results, not our attitude while we are performing our work. Disinterest leads to slovenly work and will always fall way short of offering God our best. Non-attached work in the yogic sense can and should be done with spirit, a bright smile and a beaming attitude. This kind of activity is a valid form of worship and, as such, can be done with great joy and intense enthusiasm.

From the commentary on Sutra 1, chapter 2: "Austerity, study, and the dedication of the fruits of one's work to God: these are the preliminary steps toward yoga." In How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali

This is excellent, thank you Herb
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2017 :  02:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Selfless Service - I am not strong in that department either. I have not yet found something I would be good at - I am poor at physical caring, you see. However, lately I am driven to give and give all the time.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000