Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Can one still try Kechari too prematurely?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  01:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I recall from reading AYP lessons when it used to be free that the tongue would get a natural craving to move upward and one knows it is time to try Kechari mudra. I have no such craving, can I try Kechari mudra still?
I read that Kechari will balance the nervous system. Someone here had posted that not practising Kechari resulted in their nervous system getting heated up.
I'm trying to address a physical issue. I'm suffering from undiagnosable erectile dysfunction, middle of the night insomnia, and IBS like symptoms, all of which can be caused by autonomic neuropathy i.e. some disorder in the nervous system that just won't switch off. Doctors are not at all helpful, although one gets some idea from reading published journals.
Also my semen leaks out if it gets even slightly warm during sleep, that is another mystery possibly also rooted in the same cause.
So I thought may be I can give Kechari a try even though there is no longing for it.

Edited by - FakeYogi on Nov 01 2016 01:47:45 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2016 :  05:40:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Fakeyogi,

Kechari mudra will not actually do much before kundalini is awakened. It works in two ways. The first is that it activates the secret spot in the nasal pharynx. The second is that it brings the energy channel that passes through the tongue into line with the central channel (sushumna). Before the awakening of kundalini, neither of these two things will add much to the spiritual path.

After awakening it is a different matter and both will have a powerful effect on spiritual development. So this is why there is a time when a natural craving for kechari happens. It is when the prana is flowing through the tongue and that is causing the tongue to come upwards towards the roof of the mouth.

If you are not feeling a natural desire to practice kechari, there is nothing to stop you from giving it a try anyway. That way you will find out if you are ready or not.

I would warn against taking on specific spiritual practices in order to try to cure some particular dysfunction with the body though. It may work, or it may not and could lead to disappointment if that is the goal. Kechari is designed to activate the higher centres, (ajna and sahasara) and when these are activated, people usually find that they need less sleep rather than more. So if your aim is to get a good nights sleep, that may not happen and the opposite might actually happen, that your sleep goes down to 4 hours or even 2 hours a night.

Needing less sleep is not necessarily a problem. It can simply be a higher mode of functioning for the body. If not sleeping is leaving you tired during the day though, and you think that may be caused by the practices you are doing, then the way to resolve that, would be to self-pace your practices down to a level where you are getting enough sleep at night.

Kechari mudra and when to take it on, is discussed in the "Asanas, mudras and bandhas" book at pp 59 to 63.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

jh36m

USA
44 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2016 :  8:33:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this actually answers my question about kechari mudra. very interesting.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000