Healthcare - Holistic and Modern
 Ayurveda and Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was asked to give a short presentation on Ayurveda from the perspective of yoga. What would you advice me to include? Any suggestions are appreciated.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Blanche:

Ayurveda is about balancing the three elements of bodily constitution -- vata, pitta & kapha -- for the prevention and reduction of disease.

As we know, balance is also a key factor in yoga and spiritual practices for sustaining good progress with comfort and safety. In AYP, Ayurveda has special relevance in aiding the restoration of balance when there are excessive kundalini symptoms, discussed here: http://www.aypsite.org/69.html

There is also overlap between Ayurveda and yoga in shatkarmas (cleansing techniques) and other practices. The overlaps are actually quite extensive. We could even say that Ayurveda is an aspect of yoga, or that yoga is an aspect of Ayurveda, depending on which side one is coming from.

All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  10:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know what the word ayurveda means? Something like science of life or way of life I think. Some of your audience will be familiar with the term but for the others you'll want to tell them what it is. Basically it's an all-encompassing ancient healing philosophy (that makes a distinction between the essential truth of life from dangerous therapies and nonsense of allopathic modern approaches). 3000 to 5000 years old. Maybe older than that.

Focus on the three doshas and getting familiar with one's own consitution. Then learn the constitution of family members.

The way ayurveda is usually presented today is (in my opinion) very complicated and most people haven't the time or patience to learn it. So in your presentation, you may want to consider less is more. Don't give them too much to chew on. Keep it simple. Allow time for answering questions.

Been studying ayurveda for over 20 years and find it very rewarding. A combination of ayurveda, homeopathic, macrobiotics, essential oils, Tai Chi, mindfulness, being present, positive thinking, grounding, breath meditation, and "mind over matter" techniques are used here for natural healing.

In my experience, most natural healing requires patience and practice. Ayurveda requires patience. If the individual doesn't have the time to learn it, then Ayurveda probably won't work for them as a viable healing option or way of life. People need to know that this system can't be learned in a couple of months. It may take a couple years to fully comprehend the basics, utilize and integrate them effectively ... in order to bring balance, healing and joy into one's life. Ayurveda is all about balance. First knowing one's constitution and then establishing an effective routine to balance that constitution.

Wishing you the very best and envying you as this is a great opportunity to share your valuable experience.

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  9:01:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani -

Thank you for your answer. I will look again at the lesson 69. Yes, probably the best way to proceed would be to make the subject relevant to the audience. People would be interested to hear about something that help balance the body-mind and prevent illnesses. I should keep things simple, but I will have to describe the three doshas. Maybe I'll give them a list of foods that balance each dosha. I might mention the healthy routines (dinacharya) and the cleaning techniques (shat karmas). This will pretty much exhaust what I know about Ayurveda.

You might find amusing to know that I think to finish by talking about meditation, as the best way to a happy, healthy, and long life.

Many rainbows your way!

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  9:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Parvati -

I appreciate your answer. Excellent suggestion to talk about how Ayurveda can be used in the daily family life. People would be interested and more likely to use what they learn about Ayurveda, and any change is more likely to stick if made in a supportive group.

I would love to talk with you about this subject, as you are so knowledgeable and have experience in Ayurveda and other related fields. You also make me realize how little I know. I should learn more about this subject. Do you practice Ayurveda/Chinese medicine? How has this knowledge change your life and yoga practice?

Love,
Blanche
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  12:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche

Ayurveda has enriched my life immeasurably. After studying it indepth, it now comes automatically to view the world through the lens of ayurveda. With tai chi and macrobiotics, I've only learned the basic yin-yang fundamentals of Chinese medicine, which are valuable to me. I think Chinese medicine is sound and effective. Yoga practice is limited to breath meditation and various ayurvedic disciplines. Understanding the characteristics and proportion of the doshas in our constitution, and how to achieve balance, comprises a very fundamental basis of natural healing.

As a proponent of living in harmony with our environment, I've found the principles incorporated in ayurveda to be absolutely essential in supporting a wise, loving, happy and healthy life. When one first learns to integrate ayurvedic principles into one's daily life, they may seem counter intuitive. But after considerable experimentation, one begins to obtain a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

For vatas, perhaps the most essential ayurvedic principle is incorporating a stable routine in their lives. For pittas, pacifying their anger. And for kaphas, getting enough exercise. This, of course, is an oversimplification. Often what we intensely dislike is the very principle required for balancing our constitutions .. but that isn't always the case. Therefore discretion is advised.

If we are going to cultivate balance and harmony in our lives, if we are going to promote happiness in ourselves and those around us, it is helpful to understand the principles of ayurveda ... and thus be knowledgeable regarding the various ways it can help balance our constitutions. When mothers take the time to encourage balance in the constitutions of their husbands and children, they are giving them one of the most precious gifts through assisting them to achieve harmony and create joy in their lives.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Oct 11 2016 5:45:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2016 :  9:43:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Parvati -

Thank you for your answer. Yes, it is difficult to achive anything in this life without balance. As in Ayurveda, also in yoga and in life in general, the most important lessons for each of us are the most difficult ones. One of my yoga teachers used to say that the most difficult posture was the one where you needed to work the most, and where you would make the most progress. Now I find out that most of the difficulties are self-created, and dissolve when brought into awareness. The more aware we are, the more likely is that we can stir our life toward balance. I have only basic knowledge of Ayurveda, but I can say that the yoga practice, and especially the meditation practice, offer direct, continuous, nuanced guidance to be fully human, to live life as we humans are designed to live.

I really like how you point to a personal responsability that we each have to find our way. I have now an idea about my presentation.

I wonder if I could give them a short questionary regarding doshas. What do you think about the online tests to determine one's dosha/doshas? Do you have any favorite?

Much love,
Blanche
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  08:48:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the online assessments aren't very reliable, your experience may vary. The dosha tests I use are in books: 1)David Frawley, "Ayurvedic Healing, A Comprehensive Guide" and 2)Robert Svoboda, "Prakriti, Your Ayurvedic Constitution". Both very good. Recommend taking tests several times in the first year of study.

As one becomes more knowledgeable, answers to the questions are likely to change and become more accurate. Also, as the weather and our moods change, so do the answers. For example, in the summer when we are possibly aggravated by the heat, our answers may incline toward being pitta dominated. This may or may not be a reliable indicator, as summer is the pitta season, and therefore everyone seems more pitta during that time of year. (A technique that I incorporate is to decide if more than one dosha is the answer ... in which case the appropriate answer is half for each applicable dosha.)

One may receive dosha assessment from an experienced ayurvedic practitioner. In the beginning, this evaluation is helpful. However, it's probably wise to double check that assessment through self-evaluations, and determine if you agree with the professional opinion. According to Svoboda, most people are dual constitution. If that is true (and I believe it is), that needs be taken into consideration. Svoboda's book is excellent and a dependable resource in my opinion.

love
parvati

Edited by - parvati9 on Oct 12 2016 09:01:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  1:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Parvati. I will get these two books you recommended.

Could one be all three doshas? I feel that I can recognize features from all three doshas here. As you mentioned, the dominant changes from time to time.

It is funny that you mentioned Robert Svoboda. This morning I found him mentioned somewhere else, saying that: "A person who does medicine, astrology, music, or something like that... is not actually doing anything than getting out of the way, so that vidya can act through him or her." "The vidyas are living bodies of knowledge. They are all goddesses."

Love,
Blanche

Edited by - Blanche on Oct 12 2016 1:36:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

parvati9

USA
587 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  10:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche

Tri-dosha is rare, but does exist. Some years ago I looked into it because my father may have been tri, or rather (mostly) balanced. I can't recall him ever getting sick with colds and flu like most people. He died at 94 from old age, possibly dementia, was on no medication until the last week of his life. Kapha is proportionately my least dosha, but still somewhat high. At one time I considered that I could be tri, but fairly certain that is not the case.

According to rather extensive research on the subject, there is little information online. Svoboda differentiates between two types of tri-dosha. If you're planning to obtain the book, you can check out his coverage of those types. My understanding is tri-dosha is difficult to balance. Balancing is usually done seasonally, through pacifying the dominant dosha for that season and also by age.

I think my father had kapha a bit dominant with vata almost equal, and pitta just slightly less. He was prone to shed tears, very affectionate, compassionate and stubborn (kapha attributes). He also worried a lot (vata), liked to debate and had an intense love of sports (pitta). But old age is the vata time of life and so vata was undoubtedly predominant toward the end (he was emaciated in the final years of his life). If balance IS achieved, these balanced dosha (all 3 doshas relatively equal and in harmony) people have abundant ojas and immunity. They tend to be strong, stable, moderate in disposition, and possess good longevity (imo).

love
parvati
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2016 :  10:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Parvati –

Very interesting answer. I have not heard about tri-dosha before your post. I cannot say for sure that I am a tri-dosha as I am no Ayurveda expert, but this seems to be a possibility, as all three doshas are showing strongly here. The presentation is different than in your father. For example, as a vata, there is less tendency to worry, but there is a lot of imagination and creativity, I never lack ideas or projects, and I have to consciously focus to stay on the task and finish things up. I am the one most likely to cry at any movie (kapha), but I also stay calm in an emergency (kapha) and have unlimited energy and passion for what I want to do (pitta). I am almost never sick, do not take any medication, and this is the case with my two children, too. Interestingly, in the last five years, my husband has also stopped getting colds, flu, etc., and he has stopped getting headaches, which used to be an almost daily thing when I met him twenty years ago.

I would love to talk with you more, my friend, over many cups of tea. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and wisdom!
Love, Blanche
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000