Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 No steady routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  3:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
How important is it to practice the same amount of time each practice, and to follow the two times per day guideline? It seem like I can't keep the routine up for now, and I am meditating when ever it feels fitting, usually between 10-20 min per practice, depending on my current shape.

Is it better than no practice? I feel good in between my practices, and can actually notice some progress in practice.

Maybe I have the answer my self, but it doesn't hurt asking here either... :)

All the best!

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  4:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is it better than no practice? I feel good in between my practices, and can actually notice some progress in practice.

Yes, you did answer your own question! Try to stay true, consistant, and dedicated but don't fret if you fall short. You can also try to find yoga moments within your day, whether with pranayama, spiritual reading, asanas, service; if I find myself waiting for someone, for instance, I can easily do a few minutes of DM. Three years of AYP has cemented all kinds of yoga throughout my day.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  4:54:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that's a version of self-pacing, and if it's working, more power to you. On the other hand, even if you're feeling lackluster and disinterested in meditating on a particular day, that can be prime time to meditate, because purification and opening can still occur during boredom.

It's like brushing teeth, i.e. an act of maintenance more than a hobby or whim. If doing twice a day becomes overloading, then yes, that is time to trim back, but if you're using your fickle mood or temperament as the deciding factor, it will not be as effective as a consistent, daily routine.

As you say, a few days are better than no days, but everyday is the optimal pattern. The body and mind thrive off structure, rhythm, and order. There will still be plenty of room for spontaneity and improvisation outside of a set routine. In fact, that's what the routine enhances—the free flow of life in all circumstances, whether structured or unstructured. We get to have our cake and eat it too.

Best wishes, Colours!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2016 :  5:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I posted simultaneously with Dogboy.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  10:54:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Dogboy and Bodhi! Thanks for the replies.

I am not certain why I am having a hard time keeping up a routine of two times each day. But I have had a few years of mental illness and I suspect that is one factor. I have tried several times to practice twice each day, and I would really like to, but I fall off... (it can be said that I have tried most of the practices taught also, but in a short period of time).
But I see this pattern in other parts of my life also, I start a new diet for a few days or weeks and fall off...etc. Maybe I just like it spontaneous or I just don't have the proper psychological strength, or both... I am not sure.
I guess it doesn't really matter though. I enjoy the writings and the moments of practice and maybe that's the main thing in the end. I am not hoping to be enlightened some day soon haha

Thanks again!!

Edited by - colours on Sep 28 2016 10:59:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  11:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just heard a podcast about this. You need support to make a change. That's okay. It's quite commen.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2016 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, what did the podcast say exactly?
I have regular contact with psychiatry, and eat medicin each day.
I am diagnosed with schizofrenia a few years ago. I have gotten a lot of support actually, but we have recently discussed my problem with not seeing things through, work and education... even though I have higher education finished now for example.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2016 :  9:48:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again all!

I have been reading Yogani's book on Eight Limbs of Yoga. There is a chapter talking about keeping twice daily practice up. It says that it's important to honor these two practices, and that it is not all or nothing.

Let's say that I some days don't have the strength to do full routine, which only is around ten minutes of DM right now, is it better then to do only a few minutes of DM, or only a few repetitions of mantra where I am at the time, like lying in bed or sitting on a chair than to skip practice?

The book says to at least do something each practice...and it is really good advice.
When it is time for me to practice having this routine, I will think about what the book says, not all or nothing (and already do so when meditating a few times per week when I see fit, not all or nothing so to speak).

Tried this, a few mantras in stead of no practice at all, and afterwards I felt very excited and outgoing, but also easily irritated towards relatives, small things that usually don't get me irritated.
I guess this is my highest concerne, maybe treating my loved ones unfairly...

Feel free to comment on these reflections!

//Colours
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  04:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Colours - you have to allow for time to rest as well. Rest is an important aspect of the practice itself and inadequate rest is most often the cause for irritability.So as you squeeze in a few minutes of practice daily - take a moment to rest as well.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sey!

I will have that in mind, to rest also after practice, it is easy to forget.

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  5:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Tried this, a few mantras in stead of no practice at all, and afterwards I felt very excited and outgoing, but also easily irritated towards relatives, small things that usually don't get me irritated.
I guess this is my highest concerne, maybe treating my loved ones unfairly...

Allowing a sit to marinate in rest is key. So far as irritation, this is something to note in mindfulness. The second you find yourself short with someone, smile and offer regrets. It becomes a loving moment for you both.
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  7:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy: yes, it works to offer regrets, and most often I hear from them that it was not as serious as it felt for me. I know it is not a good thing to give up when some resistance comes... but it is so easy to do so. I am not sure if the irritation comes from the practice itself, or simply because of the routine? I have high demands on my self generally and want to do everything so correctly... and because of this I have for example been having trouble with feeling strain in meditation, even if it is better now after reading Yoganis book on DM for example.:)

I am sure though that I will begin daily practice of some sort when ever I am ready, and when it comes naturally for me. Maybe that would be the most important practice for me now, to honor daily practice..? But it is not that easy, and I take it too seriously and so on. Try to tell myself that it is not a big deal, and compare it to brushing my teeth for example and it works to some degree... :S

We could all learn from this I am sure

Edited by - colours on Dec 19 2016 7:51:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  8:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi colours,

If you are self-pacing due to overload issues then that's great. However, if we start meditating whenever we feel like then we may not be able to make much progress.
We brush our teeth twice daily and not whenever we feel like, yes? It's the same with meditation.

All the different issues you have listed will fall away slowly and effortless with daily practice. Agree with Sey, rest is essential after practice.

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2016 :  9:36:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sunyata!

That is probably very true. Maybe there is some time to adjust to the routine. Some "cluncy stages" before we can be in the routine and meditate effortlessly... :)
I will try to explain my feelings... I feel afraid. Afraid of enlightenment. Afraid of my self, and my own mind. I am afraid to get ill again, and harm someone. But I read books, and come to the conclusion that this is not the case. I cannot blame medtiation for my illness, for hurting people.
Yes that is the feelings that lies closest to me now, which I can explain somehow.

But if practice is like brushing teeth, what is there to be afraid of, ha ha? I am afraid to brush my teeth... Lol.
No, seriously speaking.
I guess there is some form of self-pacing in why I meditate when I see fitting. It becomes self-regulating some how, but I see more and more how important every day practice is, so maybe this becomes a motivator to practice daily also.
I have no trouble reading AYP-books every day, of course I read when ever I feel like it, but still. I am not afraid of the reading.
But knowledge leads to insight, and insight leads to understanding, and that leads to practice...?

Anyhow, thanks for comments. Maybe I will drop by and explain how I feel when wanting to quit the routine... Just to learn something about my self.

We'll see.

Edited by - colours on Dec 19 2016 9:42:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2017 :  10:27:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello again!

I have tried once more to practice regularly, and after just maybe one day I had alot of thoughts about practice in my head, and I had trouble falling asleep (you know, being awake until maybe 6 AM before finally falling asleep, and that does not feel very OK when working full time, etc.)...

I was also going to an introduction to TM, no cost, but I had to cancel. I do not know what I am doing wrong really.

Maybe it is just too much for me at the moment. I could look for reasons, but maybe it does not help much. I am fine meditating a few times each month when I see fitting, for the moment... Maybe after a few years things are different.

Just wanted to update.

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  02:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Colours,

Just be kind to yourself - do the best you can and leave the rest. It is good and positive that you are aware of your fears and perceived limitations, use that knowledge to intend to do better, rather than beating yourself up about it.

Wishing you inner strength and compassion

Sey
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  05:49:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your kind words. I admit that it is somewhat frustrating sometimes, but I know it is important to let things go and accept that is somehow spirituality to me.

It is positive that I still am making progress in meditation, just yesterday I had the calmest meditation so far I think

Good things are happening and all the best.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2017 :  09:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Colours

I understand that mantra meditation appeals to you, but have you considered the issues of sensitivity? Both AYP's deep meditation and TM are strong forms of mediation. If you are sensitive, you will make a lot of progress with breath meditation or (provided you've already built a level of inner silence) passive awareness.

The advantage of a gentler form of meditation is that you can sustain your practice over days and months without overloading. Better than the stop and start approach.

You might find it useful to read Lesson 367:
http://www.aypsite.org/367.html

All the best
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  12:06:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Blue, and others!

Yes, I have considered over-sensitivity, I almost mentioned it in this thread recently, but didn't, mostly because I don't really think that it is the issue with me having trouble keeping a steady routine, every day, of practices. But it's good that it's mentioned.

I suspect that it more have to do with my inner attitude towards practicing each day... Sort of like with discovering that natural focus/favoring of the mantra recently.
Each time I fail to keep a daily routine is when I DECIDE and try to FORCE the routine to happen... I think when forcing this, like when forcing the mantra, or other things, it won't work! At least I think so...
But when I have that momentarily feeling like "today, or this afternoon, I want to meditate". Then it is OK with no excessive thinking about the routine and practice in-between, no sleeping issues, etc... Just natural doing of that one moment practicing. Do I make any sense??

As an example, these last three or four days I have naturally been inclined to meditate before dinner....with only positive thoughts and feelings, if any at all, about practice, in-between...this is how I want the routine to be...and I cannot force it. (I can't say it enough, mostly to myself he he )

But Blue... You do have a point, I am or has been sensitive to meditation, right from the start. I actually started out with breath attention almost ten years ago, learning from a book by David Fontana, and that lead me to another yoga forum which (if I remember it correctly) lead to the AYP-site, and the Deep mantra meditation here... But right from the start I was sensitive to meditation (went deep only from the first few meditations) and also started to have relatively calm head movements during meditation... Automatic yoga, you know. And that was before reading about it on the AYP-site.

But if this particular issue is because of over-sensitivity? Who knows... I even tried meditating with attention on breath today, but I have the feeling that I am more of "normal sensitivity" now a days so to speak... And it feels like I am having some kind of flow with the I AM mantra, making progress, so I don't think I want to complicate practice with going back to breath right now... But it is good to know that it Might help, and thanks for the link. And for listening this is probably the longest post for me on this forum, and I am even writing it on my mobile phone, ha ha. Stupid me

(BTW, think I have fallen in Love with mantra meditation anew )

Anyways, thanks again for listening, and for the supporting answers!

With love,
colours

Edited by - colours on Aug 18 2017 1:11:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2017 :  5:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But when I have that momentarily feeling like "today, or this afternoon, I want to meditate". Then it is OK with no excessive thinking about the routine and practice in-between, no sleeping issues, etc... Just natural doing of that one moment practicing. Do I make any sense??

I had a recommended twice daily AYP practice for a year and a half before ecstatic conductivity appeared. The more attention placed on EC, the less practice I need. Now four years in, with a busy householder life as a special needs parent, my practice is down to the morning sit. EC points out multiple moments of yoga within my daily schedule, so I am hardly lapsing. My morning sit is like bathing in a divine pool and rarely missed. Yogani refers this level of practice as the "flywheel effect" when less is actually more as your vessal is hard wired into getting "there" efficiently.

Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2017 :  02:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. Yes, I imagine that you need less practice the more efficient each session is, that makes sense.

Also, if you dive into Samadhi each meditation, it must be alot easier to keep a daily routine? Both the effect it has on you, calm you, etc and the motivation that "my meditation is going well, I want to do this..."
Go to Top of Page

sunny108

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When starting a home practice, I find it important to adhere to a specific time, date and location to prepare the mind so it knows what it is about to do.

However, don't be so lugubrious if you don't stick to the routine right away. It is momentous to practice however, by becoming diffident because you didn't practice is what is to be observed.

Some days you will be more inclined to practice than other days. Observe it all for it's part of the evolution process!

Happy practicing :)
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2018 :  10:07:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunny,
Welcome to the forum!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000