Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 10-day Goenka Vipassana retreat - worth doing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vrandy

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  12:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I have been practicing DM for about 10 months, prior to that MBSR (mindfulness) for 18 months.

I find that DM fits much better for me.

I have signed up to sit in a 10-day Vipassana retreat (S.N. Goenka). It represent a fairly substantial time commitment for a junior meditator like me and so I wonder to what extent it is worth doing.

I understand that the techniques presented in the AYP series are considered to be more effective/powerful than other techniques such as Vipassana. Hence the fact that DM is practiced "only" 20 minutes at a time, twice daily, whereas Vipassana is supposed to be practiced 1 hour at a time, twice daily.

I have the time to attend such a retreat. I have the interest / curiosity to find out what it will be like for me. I will do my best to come with no expectations and to hopefully not get attached to the peaks and reject the valleys of what will be emerging.

So I guess for me, the answer would be "Why not?".

I am interested in hearing what thoughts people have about this.

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2016 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi vrandy:

If you go on a vipassana retreat, it is suggested to use the techniques they teach there and not the AYP techniques, especially not deep meditation.

Of course, with the results you may already be experiencing with the AYP practices, you may find different kinds of experiences on a vipassana retreat than those who have not been doing AYP, even when not doing AYP practices there. It is difficult to predict.

Hey, I have a great idea. Why not go on an AYP retreat, where everything is already custom tailored for going much deeper with your AYP practice? If you are looking for a long one, consider the AYP teacher training course, which is combined with a month long AYP retreat.

Your call. All the best!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  11:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2016 :  4:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Vrandy!

Since I have attended retreats from AYP, KYI (Kriya), Vippasana and Taoism (Longmen/Dragon Gate), I'll try to describe my impressions of them:

AYP: My first yogic retreat and the best (most efficient). It was a weekend retreat. Christie led the retreat and he is brilliant, he transmits silence. The retreat was very well organized and balanced, with highly efficient practices (AYP). There were many sessions of sitting practices and also of ASANAS per day. I attended with my wife and we were both very satisfied. After coming back, we felt better than ever, full of energy.When we said good bye, Christie hugged me and I felt his heart lotus perforating mine for a moment . The reason of trying later other retreats was to experience longer retreats.

Many months later I starter experiensing Kuthasta during Yoni Mudra and also Chin Pump (Thokar).

KYI: 7 day retreat, only 3 meditations per day. It didn't feel so balanced / efficient, less spinal breathing, much crown focus. Also attended with my wife, we both had some experiences.

Vipassana: 10-day retreat, it was very intense. You are obliged to follow a very strong discipline, 10 hours of sitting meditation per day. This was very hard for my back (I don't have back problems, it's just that I needed to stretch) and even they acknowledged that Yoga and asanas were compatible with Vipassana, they don't allow you to practise asanas in your free time (I felt too restless sometimes, which would be easily solved with AYP's asanas). The first three days we were told to focus on the breath and the nose. It seemed to me that I was loosing focus with each meditation, as if the power of previous practices were wearing off, and at the end of the 3rd day I decided to switch to spinal breathing and mantra (but most of the time I didn't practise mantra meditation not to overload). Then I had some mystical experiences, including my first conscious breathless state, and also some ectasis experiences floating in infinite space (not new). But as Yogani said, best not to mix and do what they say. It was worth it, but now there are longer AYP retreats/TTC courses and I prefer them (more efficient and balanced).

Taoist (Longmen): 10-day retreat.The chinese master had a very nice personality, I have a lot of respect for him. However the retreat was extremely pricey and not efficient form my point of view. There were three meditation sessions per day plus one walk just after waking up early in the morning. For me it's more logical to meditate first thing in the morning instead of the walk. Of the 3 meditation sessions, one was mirror / graveyard practice, which is not really focused on experiencing silence / cultivating your inner system. The other 2 meditation sessions were very long (progresively up to 2-3 h). Personally I dind't like much this retreat although I have to be fair, my wife had a very cool experience.

So after all of this, I'll attend the AYP TTC (however not next Spring since my baby will be born then )

All the best on your path

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Will Power,

quote:

So after all of this, I'll attend the AYP TTC (however not next Spring since my baby will be born then )

Congratulations! Wishing you and your wife a great pregnancy and birth!

Go to Top of Page

vrandy

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  12:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yogani and Will Power for your answers.

They were helpful in allowing me to come to a decision.

In the end I have decided not to attend the Vipassana retreat for several reasons:

- I took notice of the intense urge to attend this retreat. I sometimes tend to go full speed with some projects and I am learning to distinguish between the times when swift actions are needed and when I need to slow down. I think that I was particularly attracted to the "flashy" experiences reported by people who have had them while on such a retreat.

- I realized that I did not intend to continue practicting Vipassana after the retreat (since the AYP approach really works well for me), even though I had not told it to myself until the decision arose to attend or not this retreat. It got me wondering: if that is what I think, why would I want to spend 10 precious days of my life ?

- The AYP writings resonate deeply with me on a practical and spiritual level. I have come to the conclusion that at this point in my life I want to focus on these teachings and not dilute my energy exploring others, regardless of other approaches' benefits.

- I have made a commmitment to myself to practice DM twice daily on a consistent basis, adapting it as recommended depending on specific circumstances, as a more fruitful approach to cultivating inner silence rather than "bootcamping" my way through 10 days of Vipassana. The fruits of the practice are slowly become more and more apparent for me as the months of practice go by. I will see when the time is right to introduce SBP (I tried it a few months ago but it did not "feel" right for me at that time).

- Lastly, I am a member of an informal AYP group where I live. Initial discussions toward organizing a day-long retreat are starting.

The teacher training sounds awesome. I grew up in France and know that the area where it is taking place is gorgeous. Maybe at another time for me.

Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  1:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks a lot Christi!

Vrandi, indeed if you are experiencing the benefits from AYP practice and want to stick with it, it is very good not to start other practices since they contain contradictory instructions.
It's great that there is an AYP group in your area and that discussions towards organizing retreats are starting.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2016 :  07:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
vrandy,

IMO it's good to try different things to find what suits you. For example, for me Goenka style meditation has stronger impact than AYP. I wouldn't know that without attending a retreat. I experienced bhanga nana while on a retreat - silent mind, noticing only vanishings of thoughts, some dissolution of body blockages.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000