Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What yoga mat should I buy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maribdias

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2016 :  2:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys! I'm needing an advice. My hands and feet sweat a lot during my yoga practice. I'm looking for a yoga mat that doesn't slide when I'm sweating. It really distracts me when I'm holding a posture. Does anyone have any recommendation?

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2016 :  2:31:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maribdias,

Welcome to the forums. I personally like the manduka yoga mats. They can run a bit pricey. But if your are a regular/dedicated Asana practitioner, it's well worth the investment.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

maribdias

Brazil
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  07:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was searching manduka yoga mats, and they are indeed a bit more expensive! haha I found one a bit less pricey - around 70/80 bucks. Is it worth it? http://yogamatreviewer.com/manduka-...te-yoga-mat/
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with Sunyata. I have that mat you referred to for about five years now, and never regret it, used daily. Helpful, clean every new mat before first use several times with water mixed with some vinegar, it makes the mat more sticky, you can do that regularly to keep it clean and sticky. (Let dry first when cleaned before use, or before roll up)

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 08 2016 4:22:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

JSairam

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2016 :  8:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the Jade Harmony yoga mat. Sticky, natural rubber, very durable.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  08:45:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am in with my Manduka Pro Lite. I've had mine four years and it's like new. Absolutely no regrets. It was around $59 US but for me a very worthwhile investment.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  11:25:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Prem

I am in with my Manduka Pro Lite. I've had mine four years and it's like new. Absolutely no regrets. It was around $59 US but for me a very worthwhile investment.

Thank you, Prem for your input. I have the Manduko Pro but have been thinking about buying Pro Lite next. The Pro Lite feels so much lighter and easier to travel with if I need to in the future. I love the Pro equally.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  11:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The manduka pro is indeed heavy. When traveling I'll take my old very worn out but lightweighted mat with me. That oldie is dear to me. Many struggles took place on that mat.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  11:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Sunyata

I really wanted the Pro but the Lite is great for carting to classes. I actually have two as my daughter bought me a bright pink one for Mother's Day So I keep one in the car and having the other spread out and waiting in my yoga room makes it so much easier to practise.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  12:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

The manduka pro is indeed heavy. When traveling I'll take my old very worn out but lightweighted mat with me. That oldie is dear to me. Many struggles took place on that mat.

The struggle is real here too. Progress is minimal.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 22 2016 12:37:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  12:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Sunyata

I really wanted the Pro but the Lite is great for carting to classes. I actually have two as my daughter bought me a bright pink one for Mother's Day So I keep one in the car and having the other spread out and waiting in my yoga room makes it so much easier to practise.

It was my Mother's Day gift too, mine is in purple. I have two cheaper/lighter brands but they have holes all over.

I can do tripod headstand but struggling with the supported headstand.
I have been practicing against the wall.I'm determined to get it even at the cost of having holes in the wall.

Charlied and Prem- Any pointers from the professional yoga teachers?

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 22 2016 12:26:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  1:06:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata

For me tripod is easier too - I have enough core strength to lift off in tripod but I still struggle a LOT in supported. I think it was Charliedog who recommended moving in and out of dolphin to dolphin plank pose. Work up to ten. I think this is a Sivananda thing because headstand is one of their major poses. This is really intense but it will develop a strong core so you can float . Now that you brought it up it reminds me I need to get back at it. Yogani once cautioned me that as we age the cervical vertebrae thin out, making us vulnerable to injury which means major setback. My teacher gave up headstand at age 80. I'm 60 so makes me wonder........Christi are you around to chime in?
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  1:54:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ladies

I received the pro for my birthday, a green one, I'll drag it around with me but on vacations and to the beach I'll take the one with the holes with me

Sunyata the struggling in asana stops when we relax and don't try too hard.
A confession, I can also exactly what you can in these asanas and I stopped trying because I don't want to hurt my neck. I'll teach sirsasana only if one asks for it. Tripod is easier for me but that one gives more risk on neck injury. So I let them go in silence....

True Prem, the dolphin can help you strengthen the core and shoulders. But I don't have a problem with dolphins or strength. What I observed is also that it helps if the neck and the back is very straight, not everyone has that naturally.

I know sirsasana is the king of the asana but I am an expert in the queen, sarvangasana.

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 22 2016 1:59:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  6:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Sunyata

For me tripod is easier too - I have enough core strength to lift off in tripod but I still struggle a LOT in supported. I think it was Charliedog who recommended moving in and out of dolphin to dolphin plank pose. Work up to ten. I think this is a Sivananda thing because headstand is one of their major poses. This is really intense but it will develop a strong core so you can float . Now that you brought it up it reminds me I need to get back at it. Yogani once cautioned me that as we age the cervical vertebrae thin out, making us vulnerable to injury which means major setback. My teacher gave up headstand at age 80. I'm 60 so makes me wonder........Christi are you around to chime in?

You are an inspiration, Prem. I was satisfied with the tripod headstand. This week we practiced fore arm balance, it's harder than the supported headstand. Figured I need to float into supported headstand first and then the forearm balance next.

I need to try the dolphin to plank pose to build my core strength . Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  6:52:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Ladies

I received the pro for my birthday, a green one, I'll drag it around with me but on vacations and to the beach I'll take the one with the holes with me

Sunyata the struggling in asana stops when we relax and don't try too hard.
A confession, I can also exactly what you can in these asanas and I stopped trying because I don't want to hurt my neck. I'll teach sirsasana only if one asks for it. Tripod is easier for me but that one gives more risk on neck injury. So I let them go in silence....

True Prem, the dolphin can help you strengthen the core and shoulders. But I don't have a problem with dolphins or strength. What I observed is also that it helps if the neck and the back is very straight, not everyone has that naturally.

I know sirsasana is the king of the asana but I am an expert in the queen, sarvangasana.

You know you are a yogini when you receive yoga mats for gifts.Thank you for the pointers Charlied especially the alignment of neck and back.

When I started asanas, I wasn't interested in inversions. It has changed like everything else.I enjoy the process of learning new poses and learning more about my body.

Also, if I need a quick energy boost, inversions seems to do it. It's probably the flow of blood to the brain.

You are a queen, Charlied.

Edited by - sunyata on Jul 22 2016 7:03:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  9:14:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, Friends! I also have a Manduka mat. And a couple of other mats as back-up. I take the mat in the shower from time to time, and soap it and sponge it - and let it dry outside. I also got a mat towel (with the non-slippery bits) to use for power yoga - it goes directly in the washing machine after a sweaty class.

For the headstand, it helps if you squeeze the knees/legs together. It forces you to engage the core - the back lengthens and there is less pressure on the head. Or think to apply a gentle uddiyana bandha. In one of my classes, the teacher asked us "not to put pressure on the head." This instruction was enough to make me realize that I could engage the arms and core, and pretty much put no pressure on the head.

Working on the hand-stand and split here - only years of practice might bring any improvement to these postures here. My kids are greatly amused by this - I supposed at least I teach them perseverance.

Edited by - Blanche on Jul 22 2016 9:22:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  9:43:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice discussion. I no longer use a yoga mat. I did for years. I liked Jade mats. They made it a little over 2 years of daily use.

I did a local different type of yoga( eventually- not a well know name brand), we didn't use mats for 3/4 of the class. Inversions were not taught until intermediate. I would complain that I was slipping on the floor; he told me to get my bones in alignment, and I wouldn't slip. I did it, and I stopped slipping.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  03:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

I no longer use a yoga mat.
I did a local different type of yoga( eventually- not a well know name brand), we didn't use mats for 3/4 of the class. Inversions were not taught until intermediate.

Yes lalow, my TT was like that, we practiced the standing sequences on the floor, the sitting and laying sequences on a soft mat, sheepswool or futon style. So I have a sheepswool mat also, I love this one especially in wintertime, it has a very nice sheep fragrance

@ Sunyata, next to the great tips of Blanche, take the next step in your headstand only if the one before is completely under control. So for instance don't try to lift your feet before your hips are in alignment with the neck and the back and neck are straight. Don't stretch your legs before your in balance with bended legs or stretch first one leg and if you find balance the other one. See what works for you. Do it slowly and always every step under complete control. There is more then one way to raise the legs, ask eventually your teacher for private help.

After many years of asana series and strong willpower, I found in my very own practice that only one or two asana and stay in there for a long time feels so good, like with pranayama also here I found less is more

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 23 2016 1:12:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  09:16:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great information here thank you all!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  11:26:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank You Prem
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  1:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Charliedog
Sheepskin mat sounds lovely.
My teacher was always talking about the healing attributes of wool.
I bundle myself into an ancient wool Hudson Bay blanket for a very Happy healing Shavasana.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  09:59:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche- I'll try the washing technique. I use baking soda. I've been working on the split too. Handstand in few years.

quote:
For the headstand, it helps if you squeeze the knees/legs together. It forces you to engage the core - the back lengthens and there is less pressure on the head.

Will add this to my practice. Thank you.

quote:
After many years of asana series and strong willpower, I found in my very own practice that only one or two asana and stay in there for a long time feels so good, like with pranayama also here I found less is more

Charliedog-

Thank you ladies. You all are an inspiration.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  10:22:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here, feeling blessed to meet you all.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2016 :  10:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

ruesoferick

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2016 :  2:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Charliedog
Sheepskin mat sounds lovely.
My teacher was always talking about the healing attributes of wool.
I bundle myself into an ancient wool Hudson Bay blanket for a very Happy healing Shavasana.

Agreed! :D
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000