Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 'I am' vs. 'Sohum'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JSairam

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2016 :  5:25:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm relatively new to AYP (have been meditating and more recently practicing spinal breathing for about 6 weeks) and am at lesson 55. With this practice, I began using the mantra 'Sohum' because (1) it was introduced to me many years ago by a beloved spiritual teacher and I didn't want to have too many mantras, (2) I assumed the vibrational quality was similar, (3) the meaning - although I understand this is not significant - is similar.

I just came across this wonderful forum and see that there will be future enhancements to my mantra in upcoming lessons. Also learned some other students were specifically instructed to use 'I am' rather than a previous mantra. Most importantly, my meditations are not very deep, and my mind is busy and chattering. I'm having trouble separating the mantra from my breath, since it was previously taught in conjunction with the breath. Not sure how much of the monkey mind is normal at this early stage in the practice or if I should/could be experiencing more depth and stillness at this point.

I'm hesitant to change mantras at this time but am wondering if now is better than later if this is inevitable or preferable in any way. Thank you for sharing your wisdom and experience.

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2016 :  9:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Not sure if Sohum has enhancements later on. Switching to I am would be better sooner rather than later in that case.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2016 :  10:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, JSairam! It is great that you are doing SB and meditation. If you use a different mantra, the results will be different - and the AYP system cannot predict the results. Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for you. The lesson 58 "Step by Step" and 59 "Some Mantras Particulars" deal with some of your questions.

There are people here, in forum, who mentioned the use of other mantras .I could only talk about myself: I had a different mantra for 19 years. My first mantra was potent, but I got to a point where I did not know how to go on. When a friend brought me to AYP, I took up the mantra I AM - and the AYP roadmap. It does help to have landmarks on the spiritual road. I AM was the mantra given by Ramana Maharshi, and other spiritual gurus. It works - this is only my experience. You are in charge of your practice.The guru is in you.

Whatever you do, best wishes on your chosen path!
Go to Top of Page

JSairam

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2016 :  7:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Blanche. I appreciate your input and insight. Blessings to you.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  04:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi JSairam

In my experience "I am" and "Sohum" are very different mantras - different vibrations, different effects.

All the best on your path!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jul 15 2016 04:47:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

richbrahman

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  2:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My experience of so ham or I am is poor, because the word I is associated (with majority of mortals) with Jiva, or Ego, personal soul; the more you pronounce or appeal to it, or apply it through senses, thinking, analyzing etc.Much better is to get rid of all thoughts, ideas,senses and be silent, then I loose feeling of I and mine; this is actually, Raja-yoga or as it is called in Buddhism,-Shuniyata, the Void.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  3:25:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

JSairam

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2016 :  5:56:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you BlueRaincoat - can you give more information about the different vibrations and your experience with these mantras?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2016 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To me, 'I AM' works along the highway i.e. sushumna all the way up to the brow. So Hum seems to work more between the root and the 5th chakra and it stir up a great number of afferent nadis along the way.

Please bear in mind this is only my own experience and it can well be coloured by the obstructions in my system. Also I haven't tried So Hum for a few years. When I did try it, I found it overloaded me very easily so I abandoned it pretty quickly.
Go to Top of Page

JSairam

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2016 :  9:48:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you - I appreciate your insights.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000