Bhakti and Karma Yoga
 Reading the forums and bhakti - for Dennis
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  05:55:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis
There are (I assume) a lot of people practicing AYP so I'm surprised at the small number of members that consistently post.

The one message Yogani repeats is to keep a consistent daily practice. And keep the bhakti high. I think the forums should aid in that goal. After reading forum posts, I would like to have more bhakti and encouragement to keep up daily practices. To clarify and aid in my practices. To hear about the practices of others. I think a forum should contribute to the goals of the site. I don't find that happening here now and for a while.

Hi Dennis

I'm starting this discussion here to avoid hogging the Kriya thread.
I'm hopping that others will step in with suggestions that might inspire you.

I appreciate you are looking to the AYP forums for inspiration. I also realise hiking up the forum's usage is not an overnight job. I suspect there are people who like to read but do not have the urge to contribute. Time availability is of course an issue for everyone.

I'm just wondering - do the posts you like to read have to be recently written? Because there is a wealth of practitioner experience in this forum accumulate over many years. There was a time when I'd go down the topic list in various forums and read old discussions. I think they are timeless - people who went trough phases of wakening 5-8 years ago, we are more or less retracing their steps, with individual differences, of course.

The spiritual journey is the same, whether someone took it 2000 years ago or today. Maybe the reading list Yogani posted on the extended book list could help you? I've been reading some of the gnostic gospels recently - parts of them seem to be pure yoga (I'll post a quote in the Books forum soon)

I hope that, between us, we'll be able to come up with some ideas you can use to get your daily boost of bhakti. Fellow yogis, help!

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  5:16:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dennis,

Lots of people practice AYP without being forum members. Some people have to lower their Bhakti and just lead regular lives and limit posting for balance.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  7:57:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"My heart is burning with love, all can see this flame. My heart is pulsing with passion like waves on an ocean. My friends have become strangers and I’m surrounded by enemies, but I’m free as the wind no longer hurt by those who reproach me.

I’m at home wherever I am and in the room of lovers I can see with closed eyes the beauty that dances. Behind the veils intoxicated with love I too dance the rhythm of this moving world. I have lost my senses in my world of lovers."

— Rumi

"This being human is a guest house. Every morning a new arrival. A joy, a depression, a meanness, some momentary awareness comes as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all! Even if they're a crowd of sorrows, who violently sweep your house empty of its furniture, still, treat each guest honourably. He may be clearing you out for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice, meet them at the door laughing, and invite them in. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond." Rumi

"Those who don’t feel this Love pulling them like a river, those who don’t drink dawn like a cup of spring water or take in sunset like supper, those who don’t want to change, let them sleep.

This Love is beyond the study of theology, that old trickery and hypocrisy. If you want to improve your mind that way, sleep on. I’ve given up on my brain. I’ve torn the cloth to shreds and thrown it away.

If you’re not completely naked, wrap your beautiful robe of words around you, and sleep." Rumi

"You are quaffing drink from a hundred fountains: whenever any of these hundred yields less, your pleasure is diminished. But when the sublime fountain gushes from within you, no longer need you steal from the other fountains."

— Rumi

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 11 2016 8:13:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2016 :  8:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dennis

What keeps me in daily practice? Results. For many years yoga meant weekly asana class. Five years ago I had a cancerous prostate removed; the good news was all cancer was removed with it; the bad news, so was my sexual functioning. It was a nerve sparing surgery, so there was promise of it returning over the next couple of years. I did a lot of research and learned this was a "use it or lose it" situation. I cobbled together a daily therapy of pranayama, visualization, asanas, massage,the use of a vacuum pump and a strong will to succeed. I took almost a year and a half to be fully functioning, and the first inkling that yoga went beyond asana class.

A year beyond that I stumbled across the free AYP tantra lessons in a search and read them all in a single sitting. One lesson in particular T75 (http://www.aypsite.org/T75.html) spoke directly to my situation. I realized from these lessons I needed to cultivate inner silence, and over time, escatic conductivity for these practices to become effective. The missing piece of my puzzle was deep meditation.

After a year of twice daily practice, after establishing inner silence, prana became aroused just as Yogani promised. And now two years beyond that every day is now a yoga passion play involving this blend of silence and energy. Every day guru in me points out yoga playing out in the moment, in the way I connect with my autistic child, or get my teenaged daughter to laugh at my playfulness, or in the conversation with the check out lady at the store. Guru tells me now is a good time to forward fold, never mind I am weeding the garden. I find yoga in the songs on the car radio, and feel the music in my solar center. I find yoga choking up from a good news post, or a sad movie scene, and spilling across my lips every time I tell my wife how much I love her. This concoction of silence and energy has even enlivened my weekly asana class into a moving meditation. It provides me stamina, focus, and gratitude for this body that contains me here.

What keeps me coming back to my cushion is the feeling I get as I begin SBP, the gentle flow of prana up and down my shushumna, and the knowing that I'm coming home again as the mantra rises up from that silky silence.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  03:10:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all. Fear not, though, my bhakti will carry me through regardless of the posts. I don't need them to continue but it does boost my interest and I learn things.

I have been reading all past posts in all forums and have read probably a thousand posts and will continue. The information contained within is immense.

What keeps me in daily practice is simply that I've made a commitment to it and that's all I need. After running my own business for 30 years, I've built up a lot of will power. I never had much as a child and couldn't follow through with most things but over the years it has increased.

But I appreciate the help and thoughtfulness.

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  07:42:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote by Dennis,
quote:
To hear about the practices of others. I think a forum should contribute to the goals of the site. I don't find that happening here now and for a while.

Be the change that you want to see......Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  08:59:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dennis
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  11:37:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Hi Dennis

What keeps me in daily practice? Results. For many years yoga meant weekly asana class. Five years ago I had a cancerous prostate removed; the good news was all cancer was removed with it; the bad news, so was my sexual functioning. It was a nerve sparing surgery, so there was promise of it returning over the next couple of years. I did a lot of research and learned this was a "use it or lose it" situation. I cobbled together a daily therapy of pranayama, visualization, asanas, massage,the use of a vacuum pump and a strong will to succeed. I took almost a year and a half to be fully functioning, and the first inkling that yoga went beyond asana class.

A year beyond that I stumbled across the free AYP tantra lessons in a search and read them all in a single sitting. One lesson in particular T75 (http://www.aypsite.org/T75.html) spoke directly to my situation. I realized from these lessons I needed to cultivate inner silence, and over time, escatic conductivity for these practices to become effective. The missing piece of my puzzle was deep meditation.

After a year of twice daily practice, after establishing inner silence, prana became aroused just as Yogani promised. And now two years beyond that every day is now a yoga passion play involving this blend of silence and energy. Every day guru in me points out yoga playing out in the moment, in the way I connect with my autistic child, or get my teenaged daughter to laugh at my playfulness, or in the conversation with the check out lady at the store. Guru tells me now is a good time to forward fold, never mind I am weeding the garden. I find yoga in the songs on the car radio, and feel the music in my solar center. I find yoga choking up from a good news post, or a sad movie scene, and spilling across my lips every time I tell my wife how much I love her. This concoction of silence and energy has even enlivened my weekly asana class into a moving meditation. It provides me stamina, focus, and gratitude for this body that contains me here.

What keeps me coming back to my cushion is the feeling I get as I begin SBP, the gentle flow of prana up and down my shushumna, and the knowing that I'm coming home again as the mantra rises up from that silky silence.

Dogboy, your narrative is an authentic story of hope and transformation. Thank you for bringing your unique expression of silky silence to the forums. I value your contributions highly and am perpetually uplifted by the freshness of your language and perspective. Much love and respect.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  11:41:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Be the change that you want to see......Mahatma Gandhi

I was going to quote that, Charlie-D, but you beat me to the punch! Great minds think alike, clearly. Thank you for including that nugget of simple but profound wisdom in the discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2016 :  3:05:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2016 :  08:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
@ Dogboy, I second Bodhi in this, Namasté

Edited by - Charliedog on Jun 14 2016 03:20:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  02:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Dennis - Namaste

I celebrate 9 years of AYP this month. I started fresh, with no previous Yoga or meditation experience, just a thirst for Truth. I was going through an intense traumatic experience at that time and someone handed me the DM booklet. It did not take long for me to get my first taste of bliss. I was hooked. An inner journey started. The Witness became recognizable at some point. The identification with the body and my thoughts and things loosened. It became so loose, I gained ability to move beyond the body. So I dabbled in OBEs and astral travel for a while - then like with all siddhis, I lost in interest in that.
For years, I felt blessed, special. Life was mostly a blissful flow. It just got better and better. The Witness perspective went through several development phases. Inner Space kept getting bigger and clearer. And it became easier to see how everything is a reflection of myself. Natural Self-enquiry kicked in. I could/can catch my every thought; some times it has already found its way to my mouth before I can stop it. This can be either constructive, where kindness and compassion naturally prevails or less so where preconceived perceptions, not facts, cloud judgement. But I can now always witness the process. And I can let it go. Do and let go became easier.
Now I'm in a phase of not feeling particularly blessed or special. Just life happening as it does to everyone and still managing to let it go; let it flow. My perspective on life, on people, on relationships have changed completely. I have also noticed some things not much talked about here; my sphere of influence has grown. The fact that I am Aware that what is Without is also Within - I can set the scene and hold a situation or whole lot of people in my heart space and subtly influence it, creating a favorable outcome. This is not a doing, more a subtle intention.
Healing also sort of just happens. Someone may be complaining of bad headache, bad back or whatever and sometimes, I compassionately say - come, let me give it a rub. And then they go "wow - what did you do? It's gone". I swear, I didn't do anything.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  03:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Quote by Sey
quote:
My perspective on life, on people, on relationships have changed completely. I have also noticed some things not much talked about here; my sphere of influence has grown. The fact that I am Aware that what is Without is also Within - I can set the scene and hold a situation or whole lot of people in my heart space and subtly influence it, creating a favorable outcome. This is not a doing, more a subtle intention.
Healing also sort of just happens. Someone may be complaining of bad headache, bad back or whatever and sometimes, I compassionately say - come, let me give it a rub. And then they go "wow - what did you do? It's gone". I swear, I didn't do anything.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  07:49:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lovely snapshot of your years of practice, Sey.

Edited by - sunyata on Jun 14 2016 07:50:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2016 :  10:37:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
blessed sey
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Someone may be complaining of bad headache, bad back or whatever and sometimes, I compassionately say - come, let me give it a rub. And then they go "wow - what did you do? It's gone". I swear, I didn't do anything.

Divine touch.
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  6:17:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing your journey, Sey. Very inspiring for me to continue the DM practice
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2016 :  06:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  01:34:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Talking about siddhis - I did my "let's make the traffic disappear" act again today.
Left home late as usual, hit the road - no traffic at all. Riding over the speed limit (as usual), I was close to my place of work - still absolutely no traffic - when my son suddenly said, "Hey Mum, have you noticed that there is no traffic today." I swiftly answered, "Please don't say that - you will break the spell" and... wham! the long, long queue appears round the corner and long long queue appears behind me. Stuck in traffic!

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  01:18:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sey,

Thanks for telling your story. I appreciate the fact that you started with AYP with no previous experience. When I hear of peoples progress, I don't know if it's the result of AYP alone or years or decades of previous practices. So it's hard to tell the effect of AYP.

When I hear of where people are (spiritually), it creates an expectation of what is to come. While I'm not obsessed, or even concerned, with my progress, it's nice to know some good things are coming. So the experiences of those with only AYP are, to me, the most interesting. I do appreciate those using AYP who have had previous practices since they bring a wealth of knowledge from other systems that can apply to AYP.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2016 :  03:20:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, AYP is certainly top notch, very effective. And very comprehensive! The wealth of information on this website is staggering. The thing with yoga though... you can never truly tell from where you are starting. I am pretty sure this is not my first life-time with Yoga.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000