Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 nadi shodhana pranayama details
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hritpadma

USA
6 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  10:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

On this website, I'll assume that most visitors are familiar with nadi shodhana pranayama.

My question is about where, in the range of lung capacity, is it best to practice.

I've found that relaxed breathing is essential, while deep exaggerated breathing never leads to the subtle opening of both nostrils.

Is a complete 100% exhale good?

What I do is exhale in a relaxed way (not a tight 100% exhale), then inhale silently with a count of say 6, switch sides, exhale, inhale, switch sides, etc.

The point is that while doing this my lungs are used to less than 25% capacity, and at the same time when I exhale in a relaxed way, there might be say 5% air left.

Getting the last 5% out requires muscle tension exertion which rarely leads to the subtle both nostrils breath.

Once the subtle both nostril breath starts, I increase the count to say 8-in 8-out.

In your experience, is this the correct way to practise?

Thank you.

Dogboy

USA
2197 Posts

Posted - May 15 2016 :  12:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
In your experience, is this the correct way to practise?

My take on this is if it is working for you, then it is the correct way to practice. Here at AYP, with the cultivation of inner silence comes the rise of Guru in You, the idea that you are in the best position to choose the practices and intensities that move you along. For some your approach may be too gentle, or specific. As long as you have the correct mechanics for nadi shodhana (which it appears you do), the expression of the practice is all your own.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000