Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Experience with samyama/akasha sutra?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loren

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  9:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

I've been practicing AYP's sutras for some time, all of the sutras seem to invoke mostly subtle effects as they are practiced (some stronger energy flows in the lower chakras) but recently I've become more focused on the akasha-lightness of air sutra, with all of the splashy effects that suggests. But, I'm not there yet. What I do notice is an occasional strong opening of the sushumna channel, which is manifested as sudden deepening (and clearing if there's any imbalance) of breath in both nostrils. This is so pronounced that it seems more than a coincidence, in other words I've decided this is one early milestone in manifesting the sutra.

My question: for those of you who experience more active effects such as hopping or rush of spinal energy, is sushumna clearing a preliminary stage? How did that connect to your later experience with this sutra?

Loren

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  03:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Loren,

Being aware of how your breath is working is a valuable tool in yoga. Breath comes in cycles, sometimes left channel Ida nadi is dominant and sometimes right channel Pingala nadi is dominant, this is natural, in between we have short periods of sushumna breath. At sunrise and sunset we can most easily be aware of sushumna breath, both nostrils open, like you said this feels clearing and open.

During practice of yoga and especially with pranayama we influence the breath, so that we can be more in that balanced state 'sushumna breath', which is of value in meditation.

Samyama is a beautiful practice, my experience is that experiences during the sutras come and go like waves in the ocean. Experiences will change.....

Enjoy your practice

edit my english..

Edited by - Charliedog on May 04 2016 07:42:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 04 2016 :  03:13:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Loren,

In my experience, the opposite happens. When you first start this sutra, you get some energetic reaction from the subtle body such as you have mentioned or hopping or what not. After that - there is no further reactions energetically but you do - over time - expand your inner space. You perceive this as the "I" being much bigger than your current limited "I". Eventually, it grows to encompass everything.

From Lesson 155

quote:
At this stage there is a lot of purification going on in the nervous system and the body is responding to the energy surging through by lurching and hopping. In time it will settle down and be much smoother, and the movements will become very subtle. There will be more energy moving inside and less external indication of it.

Movement and dramatic sensations inside (including ecstasy) are caused by friction in the nervous system as the energy moves through, blowing out the obstructions in large quantities. Karmic debris is getting cleaned out in a wholesale fashion. Hence that feeling of having the nerves purged. That's the great power of samyama. It enables us to systematically purge the nervous system from the inside with relatively little discomfort. Getting purged by using samyama is usually very pleasurable. This is because, when samyama becomes functional in our nervous system, we already have sufficient inner silence available to enable it. So it is pure bliss consciousness that is surging out through our nervous system in response to the sutras, and that's why it feels so good. It is silent bliss moving out through us in large quantities. It benefits all of our other practices, and everyone who is within miles of us as well.

With the lightness sutra, as the obstructions become less over time there is less friction and the movements refine. The same happens with the experiences with the rest of the sutras. It all becomes very smooth, pleasurable, and light.

Whatever experiences come as samyama practice advances over time will be a by-product of the purification in our nervous system. By the time we are having more advanced experiences (siddhis), they will not be nearly as pleasurable or attractive as the divine love and joy we will be naturally radiating in every direction in every moment.

The guru is in you.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  12:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my experience, this is the one practice that you don't want to compare. Whatever happens during it is fine. I, personally, don't see a " point" to the practice. What I mean is there's no goal. Your practice is good even though you may think it's not good.
Go to Top of Page

loren

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  07:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes agreed... comparing experiences is probably not the best option, since AYP is a self directed practice there is an intentional lack of information on how samyama unfolds. I can accept the "whatever happens during it is fine" approach for most of this, I admit to being more curious about the process than books, tapes and blogs can probably help. Traditionally I am sure a teacher watched over this process carefully with students, directing misunderstandings and blocks into a more productive direction. Maybe that applies to idle comparisons too?
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  08:32:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi loren,

Here are some threads on Samyama. May be you can find your answers in them.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....,experiences

Enjoy your journey.

Edited by - sunyata on May 09 2016 08:32:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  10:40:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi loren,

I had never heard of samyama prior to AYP. It's the one practice that I'm not sure I'm doing correctly. I don't have any expectations. The other yoga practices come with some expectations from learning yoga prior to AYP. Of course, I should drop all that, but it's subtlety still there.
You'll find probably one of the simplest yoga systems here. Practices are written vaguely; I think on purpose. Some of us still carry over expectations from other instructions.

To your post, I love the akasha sutra. It does change, of course I'm not a samyama expert.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  2:56:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
AYP never leaves anyone out in the dark.

This public forum is okay but if someone is really trying to learn then AYP Plus is where they should be.

The last I heard had some free trial going on might want to check it out.

quote:
Originally posted by loren

Yes agreed... comparing experiences is probably not the best option, since AYP is a self directed practice there is an intentional lack of information on how samyama unfolds. I can accept the "whatever happens during it is fine" approach for most of this, I admit to being more curious about the process than books, tapes and blogs can probably help. Traditionally I am sure a teacher watched over this process carefully with students, directing misunderstandings and blocks into a more productive direction. Maybe that applies to idle comparisons too?

Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, AYP plus gives more technical info, which is good. But please notice the lessons are vague, I think it's for a reason.

There's nothing wrong with trying to do a practice "right". For some reason, when someone says samyama is this way or that way, I tend to post in disagreement.

Edited by - lalow33 on May 09 2016 4:35:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The sutras for me feel like outward-flowing ripples from my solar center, and have been for more than a year now. Also "Who/what am I?" registers like champagne bubbles in my skull, a nice segway into rest. I try not to have any expectation of these experiences, but samyama seems to have become this for me.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 09 2016 :  4:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree Dogboy . Just kidding

Edited by - lalow33 on May 09 2016 4:47:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - May 10 2016 :  07:52:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I disagree.

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

But please notice the lessons are vague, I think it's for a reason.

There's nothing wrong with trying to do a practice "right". For some reason, when someone says samyama is this way or that way, I tend to post in disagreement.

Go to Top of Page

loren

USA
7 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  12:08:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

The sutras for me feel like outward-flowing ripples from my solar center, and have been for more than a year now. Also "Who/what am I?" registers like champagne bubbles in my skull, a nice segway into rest. I try not to have any expectation of these experiences, but samyama seems to have become this for me.

Dogboy
Curious to know if the sutra "flavors" change drastically over time for you or is there generally a static quality, with little change? My experience is that they change daily, more or less muted but static.

Loren
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 21 2016 :  7:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Generally not much, although certain sutras "resonate" while offered up, depending something immediate that may be happening in my life at the time.

Edit: example. For a few months last year our family had been living paycheck to paycheck. The Abundance sutra seemed particularly heavy in my body, and by surrendering it, there would be a definate sense of having lightened this burden.

Edited by - Dogboy on May 22 2016 06:45:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 23 2016 :  02:20:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I find that every now and again a particular sutra will repeat itself to the exclusion of others (I have to 'force' the others). Example: for some time whenever I dropped "Healing" (which I find better than "Health"), it was instantly followed by "Forgiveness" on a subtler level. Right now it's "Unity" that keeps going. I would drop in a regular sutra and "Unity" will be dropped in at a subtler level.

I just go with the flow and nudge in the others in between.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  5:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

I disagree.

quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

But please notice the lessons are vague, I think it's for a reason.

What are you disagreeing with? Samyama is very technical in your opinion? You are suppose feel a certain way?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000