Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Finding a teacher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DavidAYP

USA
5 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  1:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Apologies if this question has been asked. I'm fairly new to AYP and would love to have a teacher to help assure I am doing it correctly. If learning remotely is acceptable I would be open to that as well as in person. How would I go about finding someone?

Thank you

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  2:24:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello David

Many of us learn/practice remotely. Yogani is our teacher.

I guess the question is: What do you need a teacher to do for you? Knowledge-wise, you have got pretty much everything a teacher would teach you in Yogani's books, which are very comprehensive and detailed. You can also ask him questions (especially if you join Plus, he spends more time on that forum than here these days). Is there anything else that you need from a teacher?

Edit: I should mention the retreats as well - check out the "Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats" section. You can meet some advanced AYPers on retreats.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Apr 29 2016 2:34:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

fusions

Netherlands
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  8:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I found all the wisdom I needed in the books of Walsch, personally. They are free to read online by the way.
Peace my friend.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  02:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

Personally I never found such a complete source as AYP. Especially AYP Plus. If you are completely new to yoga I can imagine your question. You can ask here on the forums if there is someone in your surroundings to practice a few times together AYP for instance. There are members who started group meditations which have their own divine flow. Just ask, and who knows your wishes will come true.

Like Blue said, you can ask all questions here or on AYP Plus. If you would like to join AYP I would recommend AYP Plus. The lessons are far more detailed, and you can read all Yogani's books online.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Beehive

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  12:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David.
I'm one of those people that also asked this question - maybe a year ago. Not that I don't still hope for a human being teacher but I don't focus on it much anymore because of all the things BlueRaincoat and Charliedog mention. Equally important has been that it has made me realize very deeply that the most important thing is always my own direct experience. When you can't base your opinion on what anyone else says or what anyone else's experiences are it forces you to always look within and see what's really happening for you. (The guru is in you....thank you Yogani)

It's not really easy but it is rewarding.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2016 :  1:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David and all,

There is a good guide to finding a real teacher here:

Lesson 57 - Q&A – The guru is in me?

In my experience, this lesson is spot on. Finding a real teacher is not easy and you have to do a lot of inner purification to make yourself ready. Without that, you could be sitting right in front of them and talking to them, but not realize who they are.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  01:07:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear David - just post your questions right here in the forums and everyone will pitch in to guide you.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

DavidAYP

USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  2:59:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I have made a lot of progress and am definitely learning a lot from Yogani's books. He keeps them simple and clear.

That said...sometimes I just want to turn to someone and describe my experience in detail ,verbally explain to them what the mantra sounds like in my head and get feedback, and ask things like "is it ok that my body is rocking back and forth as I say the mantra"

I understand most of that can be achieved her on this forum and I will utilize all it has to offer, but there is no supplement for an in person personalized interaction.

So I guess some of my current questions are:
How much energy to you put into focusing on the mantra. I know it is supposed to be effortless but unless I concentrate my mind drifts?
How quickly or slowly do most of you say the mantra?
Do you find that your body sometimes moves to the rhythm of the mantra ?

Thanks again everyone!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  3:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi DavidAYP,

Below are some threads and lesson that may help.

quote:
How much energy to you put into focusing on the mantra. I know it is supposed to be effortless but unless I concentrate my mind drifts?

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=13671

quote:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....a,repetition

quote:

Yes. We gently favor the mantra.

http://www.aypsite.org/183.html

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4373 Posts

Posted - May 02 2016 :  5:25:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi David,

quote:

The swaying of the body is caused by prana moving through the subtle body and purifying it. It is perfectly natural.

If you are finding that you are linking the repetition of the mantra with the rhythm of the swaying then it can be a good idea to un-link these two things deliberately. This will allow you to go deeper with the mantra without having the mind divided by two things going on.

The same is the case if the mantra becomes unconsciously linked to the breath.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

DavidAYP

USA
5 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  02:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  05:05:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAYP

The rhythm if the mantra repetition is not prescribed - it is whatever you are comfortable with.

The only point Yogani made on this is that we should not deliberately introduce pauses between the mantra repetitions. You just let it flow. With enough practice, the mantra appears to take a life of its own. You just let it repeat itself as it will.
quote:
Originally posted by DavidAYP
How much energy do you put into focusing on the mantra. I know it is supposed to be effortless but unless I concentrate my mind drifts?
Yes, the drifting is part of the process. If you are relaxed during meditation, the mind will drift. And it is important to stay relaxed. We do not cling to the mantra. All you need to do is go back to favouring the mantra when you realise you have drifted off it.

Sounds like you are doing fine.
Enjoy your practice

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on May 03 2016 05:52:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 03 2016 :  06:14:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear David,

You may wish to contact someone in your area for one-on-one sharing. Here.

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=9036

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000