Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 throat closing during meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  07:25:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi, newbie here.
I have recently started daily meditation following the book. I have tried to meditate in the past but never consistently. I had noticed this problem before and am now experiencing it again - often during meditation i begin to feel discomfort in the throat, which feels as if swollen and blocked. Its hard to tell, but the sensation feels 'real', in that my throat really feels physically restricted. It doesn't exactly hurt but is unpleasant and distracting. It tends to set in after a few minutes of meditation and stops pretty much instantly when I stop. I'm wondering what on earth could be going on, anybody have any ideas? As a total novice, my only thought is that possibly I have an extreme blockage in the throat chakra... ? Any thoughts welcome. Thanks for reading

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  08:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi louisac, welcome to AYP

Yes, it sounds like a blockage and it will dissolve in time, with regular practice.

If it becomes a distraction during meditation, the way to deal with it is described in Lesson 15, especially the 4th paragraph - let you attention to be drawn to the discomfort for a while, till is subsides enough to allow you to go back to the mantra.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2016 :  11:03:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome louisac

Yes, no worries, it will pass. You didn't mention what level of AYP you are at, but if you're currently stable and looking for additional practice try chin pump jarlandhara (http://www.aypsite.org/139.html). I had some neck issues that included physical therapy. This practice gave me relief and excited prana to boot, a two-for!
Go to Top of Page

louisac

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2016 :  1:39:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them. I am a total beginner and still trying to establish a regular practice. I have throat issues in general so it makes sense.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  12:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Good luck with establishing that regular practice. Hope to see you around
Go to Top of Page

Samadhi

USA
64 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2016 :  7:05:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Louisac! Welcome!

I have had similar issues. In the beginning, I stayed consistent with establishing my meditation practice even though the discomfort was strong. I was patient and gentle with the blocked area. In the beginning I observed the energy slowly moving around the blockage. Then I periodically felt it break through and disburse with a wonderful release. I still have some mild friction but everything is much smoother now. I have seen wonderful improvement.

Keep with establishing your practice. There are wonderful things to come!

Edited by - Samadhi on Apr 29 2016 7:46:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - May 01 2016 :  01:15:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Try throwing your head back as far as it can go, opening the front of the throat and opening your mouth as wide as it can open. Try it when the constrictions get bad.

Sey
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000