Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 High stress DM - no mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  2:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
We've had some very bad and stressful news in the past week that caused a major migraine yesterday. This morning I was attempting DM, but even thinking about the mantra was causing stress and discomfort. I kept trying to come back to it but finally gave up and just sat there.

All I could do was sit in stillness observing the onslaught of reactive thought and the sensation of stress physically shifting around in my head. I had no connection at all with the streaming thoughts - just feeling them like bubbles bombastically rising in a water cooler. I think with all this going on, it was too much to also focus on the mantra.

After my no mantra DM, I was worried that my one chance of doing DM today was aborted and I really needed the stress relief. However the amount of complete stress relief and mental unthawing I experienced afterwards was some of the most I've ever experienced in ANY practice. Phenomenal and VERY welcomed.

Not recommended for 99% of the time, but if you're ever so stressed where trying to think ANYTHING including the mantra is a burden, try just sitting and watching the mayhem in stillness if it's all you can do.

Edited by - MrCuddly on Feb 09 2016 3:18:27 PM

Dogboy

USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Very good, MrCuddly, this is manifested Guru In You, the knowing of when and how and why to dial back to suit your present needs. This is how AYP is supposed to work.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  5:24:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice post, MrCuddly, sounds very much in line with the AYP lessons that recommend to just observe the thoughts/feelings and leave the mantra when thoughts/feeling are overwhelming. I do that sometimes and also had great benefits in terms of release of tensions and negative feelings.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2016 :  6:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Amen. Less is more.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I guess I didn't get to the AYP lesson yet that said this is exactly what you're supposed to when you're overwhelmed. But I really had no choice other than packing it in for the morning. Obviously I'm glad I didn't - because the relief was amazing and otherwise I'd be in for another day of headaches and grief.

I'm always a bit conflicted when I go off the recommended path. I tend to experiment too much anyway which can leave you second guessing yourself.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4370 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2016 :  3:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MrCuddly,

This is covered in lesson 15.

"The same procedure applies if you are overcome with a barrage of overbearing thoughts, which may or may not be accompanied by physical sensations. If you can't easily go back to the mantra, just be with the thoughts until they dissipate enough so you can easily pick up the mantra again. Remember, meditation is not a fight with physical or mental activity we may have. These are all symptoms of the release of obstructions from deep in the nervous system. We just let them go." [Yogani]

See also the following lesson addition:

Addition 15.2 - Picking Up the Mantra - Easy Versus Too Much Strain

Christi
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2016 :  3:07:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi - in this case (and one since) I never could return to the mantra, but it worked anyway. I try to concentrate on the mantra but it takes a back seat to all the mental eruptions. So I just give up and watch. Oddly enough being the silent witness is easy but trying to give attention to the mantra is hard to do.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2016 :  2:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm glad you wrote about this, MrCuddly, as I've experienced similar times when I'm just so stressed that all I can do is let the thoughts spin themselves out, without my making any decisions or taking any "sides" or "points of view". It's like my brain or inner voice is weighing the options and thinking about things, fairly automatically, and I'm just a listener.

It's hard when that happens at night and I can't sleep, though.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 08 2016 :  07:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Godslave

I'm glad you wrote about this, MrCuddly, as I've experienced similar times when I'm just so stressed that all I can do is let the thoughts spin themselves out, without my making any decisions or taking any "sides" or "points of view". It's like my brain or inner voice is weighing the options and thinking about things, fairly automatically, and I'm just a listener.

It's hard when that happens at night and I can't sleep, though.

I think my focus on asana independent of pranayama and DM helps me in these situations. I can perform the equivalent of savasana while in bed, and this relaxes my body and as many tightened muscles as I can find.
Then the barrage of thoughts turns eventually into dreams. I wake up with some sense of being rested, but of course not enough.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - May 11 2016 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi kensbikes100, I also do savasana or corpse pose in bed quite often. I've lately started to do something similar but closer to what is called Yoga Nidra, or the yogic sleep, where I hold my eyes up and work on opening each chakra while laying relaxed. I try to find any tension and relax it while opening the chakras near there, all the while keeping the heart chakra open and having my heart energy flowing out.

The benefit of keeping the eyes up is to prevent falling asleep; it also seems to help me relax my head more as I've become more used to doing it over time, in my Spinal Breathing (it's an addition to Spinal Breathing mentioned in the Spinal Breathing AYP ebook).

This was influenced by an article I read about the Thoth Chakra Exercise for Immortality, posted about on this forum at:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=16097

(no responses there yet)

Edited by - Godslave on May 11 2016 3:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - May 26 2016 :  8:56:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like it's for a different purpose than trying to get to sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Godslave

Canada
108 Posts

Posted - May 27 2016 :  09:11:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kensbikes100

Sounds like it's for a different purpose than trying to get to sleep.

Yes, the purpose is to do very deep relaxation without falling asleep. But I find that once I have done the procedure, my mind is very quiet, still, and happy and I fall asleep very quickly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000