AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 The effects of asanas vs. tai chi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2016 :  1:42:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey all

Just wondering what is your take on tai chi; what is the effect on us, is it a similar practice to an asana routine?

Lately I've been doing some spontaneous tai chi-like movements, so I figure that they're what I need right now, and I'm preferring them to asanas, so I usually do them instead, but it seems like they'd have a similar (positive) effect on our nervous system, and so would be interchangeable with asanas - we could do whichever one we felt like on any given day.

What are your thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Joseph

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  12:24:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say that tai chi is much more powerful energy wise. Asana does move energy around but not like tai chi.

If you have issues with being energy sensitive or overload easily be careful adding in tai chi.

All the best,

Tom
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2016 :  5:16:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Tom. Yeah, tai chi does feel powerful at times, but also a well balanced, grounding practice if done well. I should take lessons really; I'm just experimenting on my own at the moment (easier to make mistakes). Still, first impressions are good. I feel like my body can hold more energy and endure stress better when doing these movements, but that goes for asanas too.
Best,
Joe
Go to Top of Page

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2016 :  1:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
jonesboy. What about Qi gong? This routine only takes about 8 min.
https://youtu.be/DhsU1qLBF8s
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2018 :  11:58:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've had this same experience in the distant past (20 years old? 45 years ago?), with tai chi being an energizing but calming influence, along with ™.

I would think of doing it in the morning, along with asana, pranayama, and DM. Has anbody added these four together? How were the results? What ordering did you use? What ordering seems best?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2018 :  10:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kens, you have to correct order; it's individual trial & error that will determine outcome. I've never done tai chi but it certainly is enjoyable to observe!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2019 :  10:56:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dogboy, thank you, but I am having trouble seeing what you might be recommending. Can you clarify?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2019 :  07:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, my response should have read "you have THE correct order" of practices. How is it working out for you?
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2020 :  06:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
thank you!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000