AYPsite.org Forum
 Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 How punctual are you with practices?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  08:08:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Is it half seven every morning without fail, or are you more spontaneous. Do you regularly, or never, skip sessions? Would like to hear how organized and punctual you are with practices. And also is it best to be regular and punctual, or is it best to have some degree of flexibility?

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  08:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, half seven in high summer, the rest I follow as much as possible the sunrise, I sit as much as possible half an hour before sunrise, in winter this could be quite late here, so then it has to be adjust also on some day's, depending work.

For me this is the best, but everyone is unique in his practice so....
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  09:16:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I try to do my practices at the same time every day.

In the morning this is easy to do for me - I simply wake up way before my family, so I have plenty of time for yoga.

In the evening it's very tricky because of my job/family schedule, but 90% of my evening sessions are just before the evening meal, 10% later in the evening a couple of hours after meal.

I always do 2 sessions each day. I skip one of the 2 session on crazy schedule days, but never skip both session of a day.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  5:22:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My first year I was very punctual, before sunrise and early evening. It took a lot of perseverance due to my duties as the at-home caregiver, getting the kids off to school, working my other part-time job and then driving them to their afternoon activities, getting dinner on the table, and eventually get the kids into bed. By the year anniversary, the Witness seemed established; after some major purification episodes, everyday prana arousal commenced.

The second year was all about learning from the prana (the balance of energy and inner silence), samyama, self inquiry, the rise of Guru Inyou. Through asanas, bandas, and attention I was stoking energy outside of DM practice and testing boundries, which quickly Guru led me to the familiar adage: Less Is More. My twice daily meditations by years end became once a day and were streamlined to 5 min SBP, 15 min DM, and 5 min Samyama, and then rest after. At the same time overall yoga practice established a stronger foothold in everyday moments: asanas happen in moments throughout the day; mindfulness is way up and monkey mind way down; bliss strums my heartstrings in all daily interactions, in songs on the radio, in stories of sorrow and joy; yamas and niyamas are the blueprint of my day. The pressure to maintain and sustain twice-a-day sits, under Guru's guidance, lessened as my yoga was strengthening.

Now in my third year, I sit when it is best for me to sit. The quality of the daily sit is truly amazing, rich in texture and depth. There is great anticipation to get to the cushion, and great anticipation to bring forth this richness and share the momentum with family, friends, and humanity in general. I feel truly blessed to have yoga so strongly ingrained in my everyday life, and to be a piece of this AYP community. The only way this was possible was the strong and strict foundation of twice daily meditation sessions. One needs to go through basic training, to establish solid habits and practices to prepare a vessal capable of samadhi states and pratyahara depths, to allow Guru to guide you to the place of knowing.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2015 :  6:31:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My practice time is around lunch time and very late evening. I'm the main caregiver/ cook. Mornings and before dinner do not work for me. Not exact set times, but it works for me.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  03:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

There is great anticipation to get to the cushion, and great anticipation to bring forth this richness and share the momentum with family, friends, and humanity in general. I feel truly blessed to have yoga so strongly ingrained in my everyday life, and to be a piece of this AYP community. The only way this was possible was the strong and strict foundation of twice daily meditation sessions. One needs to go through basic training, to establish solid habits and practices to prepare a vessal capable of samadhi states and pratyahara depths, to allow Guru to guide you to the place of knowing.

After reading this warming reply of Dogboy, I feel the need to say that this is what it is all about. My reply was not complete.

After a sometimes clunky starting with yoga practices, we sometimes ask ourselves, what is the need, why do I do this?
We all have or have had that. Discipline is however needed, in a loving way, how to integrate this in my daily life.

After that fase, yoga becomes a habit, we just do it.

After that, life becomes Yoga, or Yoga becomes life, it enriches all parts of life.

edit, spelling.

Edited by - Charliedog on Dec 19 2015 05:24:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

joseph

117 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  09:18:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great replies, especially yours, Dogboy! Cheers.

I felt the impulse to be more spontaneous, like you and lalow. Good to know others are finding this approach can work just as well
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2015 :  11:16:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the mornings, I'll try to wait an hour after getting up from bed to get the brain working a bit. In the evenings, I'll meditate whenever I find the moment, which is usually around 5 or 6.

I had to skip my evening session only twice so far, and not because I "didn't feel like meditating".
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2015 :  7:39:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Morning meditation, I do around 5 AM, while the evening one can be a bit varied. Weekends I try and join the global meditation as and when possible.
Go to Top of Page

siddhi

India
8 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2016 :  07:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried daily but some time not getting time... so truly not have a scheduled routine for yoga
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000