AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Suggestibility
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2015 :  4:08:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi guys and gals,

I've noticed a pattern over the years. Sometimes when I read spiritual experiences, I have the same experience or very similar to what I've read. I used to practice Buddhist meditation, and I had the type of experience that was suggested in the books. When I switched to AYP, I started having experiences that were written about.

In the past, I've read things on the AYP board then a few days later I'll have that experience. In the past, this was in between awake and asleep, not during practice. For example, I read a post about astral spiders, then woke up in the middle of the night and saw one. Now, I wasn't conscious thinking about astral spiders. I thought the post was silly and didn't consciously believe in them. I don't think this happens all the time, maybe once every few months? That I'm aware of.

The time between reading something and having an experience is much shorter. Something happened during samyama that I had read yesterday. I didn't consciously believe or really remember what was written. It happened when I couldn't remember the next sutra. I let the experience go and went back to practicing. I remembered this morning and reread the post; it's pretty much what my experience was yesterday.

I know we are suppose to let experiences go and focus on practices. This is the best advice for me, 100%. Still today I wonder about my subconscious suggestibility. I'm not sure what's going on. What's real and what am I making up? I have a tendency to doubt others' experiences because of this. Maybe I'm different, I don't know. I'm not doubting AYP. Maybe this is my own web of blocks. It's just weird to see how open I am to other's thoughts, experiences. And it's subconscious, not under my control, at least not right now.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

I wasn't sure what Topic to put this under, so please don't just give inquiry advise.

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  02:00:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another word that comes to mind is: synchronicity. Maybe it's not just that you're being influenced by suggestion, but also that you're simply tapping into collective consciousness, thereby influencing events from your end as well. The door swings both ways.

But yes, I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes these parallels and perpendiculars are uncanny. It's certainly fun to watch unfold, and to participate in.

Thanks for sharing the insight!
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2015 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi lalow,

The same thing was happening to me with Mr. Anderson. For a long time I would have a question and he would post and it would be what I was needing.

TPP was much the same way. I was needing something and boom, he had just finished it.

Don't doubt it, just ride that wave and enjoy the guiding nature of the light!

All the best,

Tom
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000