AYPsite.org Forum
 Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 Morning yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  09:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for a morning yoga routine, preferably in a video format - these are easier for me to follow, since I don't have to wonder if I'm performing the asanas correctly.

What's your favourite routine and why?

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  10:26:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi macrocosm. For me, a good morning asana routine is a routine that "wakes my body up". During the cold season, this means including things like surya namaskar, because my house can be pretty cold early in the morning. Also, in the morning I usually keep the asana part quite short. Don't know why but longer asana sessions are better in the evening for me.

I don't understood why you say that you don't have to wonder if you are doing asanas correct when you watch videos. I mean, you do have to develop the skills for doing asanas correctly even when you learn by video. Actually, I don't think that a video is the best teaching support - good pictures and a good text are better IMO.
Go to Top of Page

jonesboy

USA
594 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2015 :  10:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit jonesboy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a very good Yoga workout.

The Five Tibetan Rites.

http://youtu.be/3yE6AYDj1vY
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  08:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
To again echo Ecdyonurus, good pictures and good text. An example is Light on Yoga by B. K. S. Iyengar.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  10:12:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, yes, Light on yoga is a great book about asanas. The only thing to keep in mind is that Iyengar wrote it for describing the state of the art, from the point of view of a very advanced yogi performing perfect asanas. This implies that for the average hatha practitioner (or beginner) many instructions of the book are too difficult or even not safe at all. Take halasana (I just read your post on the other thread) - in LoY it is explained with the shoulders on the floor, and if I remember well the author even puts emphasis on the benefit of bending the neck forward. But in Iyengar classes theachers tell the average students to avoid any forward strain on the neck, hence the shoulder support you mentioned on your post. But, again, LoY is a very good book, and every time my teacher shows me a new asana I look in LoY to see what Iyengar wrote about it.

By the way, the same author wrote books that are far more appropriate for beginners and average practitioners. A very good one is The path to holistic health.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2016 :  06:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, he says there is a bandha in the asana. I guess I also have the words of my instructor in mind, who always counsels individually on props and safe practice.

While your comments are valid, in at least one of these threads I suggested getting into a class run by an Iyengar-trained instructor. I can't say it's the only good approach but it's the one I know. My instructor has 30 years of experience teaching "just normal folks," and that is worth a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2016 :  08:29:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ken, I also go to a Iyengar guy, so I am totally in line with you.
Go to Top of Page

JaeRustia

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2016 :  12:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit JaeRustia's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Since I am a beginner, my usual morning routine are the basic yoga poses, just stretching my muscles and my spine for a few minutes to help my senses to finally wake up (and just for the heck of it I even wear my yoga pants ha ha ha. )

I would usually watch some YouTube videos to ensure I'm doing the right thing, I don't have a good list yet so if you could also share your favorite YouTube yoga instructors that would be better.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2016 :  11:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Hi Ken, yes, Light on yoga is a great book about asanas. The only thing to keep in mind is that Iyengar wrote it for describing the state of the art, from the point of view of a very advanced yogi performing perfect asanas. This implies that for the average hatha practitioner (or beginner) many instructions of the book are too difficult or even not safe at all. Take halasana (I just read your post on the other thread) - in LoY it is explained with the shoulders on the floor, and if I remember well the author even puts emphasis on the benefit of bending the neck forward. But in Iyengar classes theachers tell the average students to avoid any forward strain on the neck, hence the shoulder support you mentioned on your post. But, again, LoY is a very good book, and every time my teacher shows me a new asana I look in LoY to see what Iyengar wrote about it.

By the way, the same author wrote books that are far more appropriate for beginners and average practitioners. A very good one is The path to holistic health.

Our teacher is Iyengar-certified, and the class is mostly grey-haired. We all have limitations but he teaches everyone how each asana is supposed to work, and then coaches us to individually apply props and various adaptations to safely achieve a pose that is safe and as close as each of us can get to the LoY pose. We also work on the best ways to get into and out of certain poses such as sarvangasana.

I've been at this for about 6 years now, and there are some who were veterans when I joined.

But I agree with you, that to start with LoY as a rank beginner without a qualified teacher could lead to problems, such as the neck concern you raise. That's one of the benefits of starting with the AYP book versions of the classic asanas, though I think it is best to join a class.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000