Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Adjusting to the I AM mantra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  12:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been doing TM consistently before discovering AYP and starting the practice several days ago. Even when doing TM I would use multiple mantras often in the same sitting. I found some felt much deeper and more spacious, while others were better for imposing themselves over mind chatter (for times when the mind was chatting WHILE the mantra was being repeated). Other seed mantras gave a certain pleasant effervescent energy to the meditation.

Of course this is unorthodox and frowned upon in ANY tradition, but they evolved in response to working with various mental mental states and have given me excellent results overall.

Since starting AYP this week, I've been limiting myself to just the "I AM" mantra but I'm finding it hard to reach the deeper states of relaxation and stillness I'm used to. Hopefully it's will work itself out over time.

Has anyone else had problems adjusting to the "I Am" mantra from previously used TM mantras?

Also are there other mantras containing both the masculine and feminine components that could work just as well as "I Am"?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  2:26:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MrCuddly
An enhanced (longer) mantra may work better for you. Have you read the AYP lessons about mantra enhancements? There you may find a mantra that combines all the effects you are seeking, while benefiting from more stability, i.e. not having to change the mantra all the time.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  3:43:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BlueRaincoat - I HAVEN't read that chapter yet and will look into it. Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  4:17:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lessons 116, 186, 188 and 369.
You may need the AYP Easy Lessons book or a subscription to AYP Plus to read all these lessons.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  10:07:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi MrCuddly,

Great advice from Blue. I would also like to add, in AYP we do not measure our progress by the quality of our meditations but how we feel in our daily life outside of sitting practices. Give it some time, you have recently introduced the mantra to your nervous system.

Sunyata
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2015 :  10:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You're right that you shouldn't get distracted from the practice itself with experiences. But with DM for me there's a direct cause effect between how deep I go in practice and how recharged I feel afterwards. Since "I Am" requires more vowels and care in pronunciation than simple seed mantras like lam ram ham or even shreem or hreem. For me it keeps me closer to the surface where all the mental activity is and not deeper.

I Am is basically pronounce aaaaayyyyyy eehhaammm. Simple short vowel sounds like Lahm Hamm etc just seem to get me further below the surface. This is very subjective and probably makes no sense to anyone but myself. But there you are.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  01:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear MrCuddly,

AYAM is a silent thought vibration which you easily favour during your sittting. No need for emphasis on pronunciation or trying to say it this way or that way - what is required is an easy favouring of AYAM. Let it do its thing without analysing or trying to control it. Yes, it may keep you closer to the surface, but it is not a "falling deeper" into Stillness we are trying to achieve but a rising of Stillness to the surface so that it pours out into your daily life. This does not happen in one or two sittings but over the long term. The mantra simply anchors you to the present moment (Stillness)

Enjoy your practices

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  05:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr Cuddly,
I practiced breath meditation before, and dm was at beginning not as deep.
I used to think I know what stilness is, so in one year or two I took all Ayp mantra enhancements there were. A long mantra it became. :-D
Last week I tried one more time with iam, and now i see i should have not rushed, as i 'go deeper' with just Iam.
So,i get what you mean with shorter mantras.
Should add that it is better for me now with mantra than with breath, even with longer mantra.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  10:37:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great explanation by Sey.It's about easily favoring and letting go. Not getting fixated on the pronunciation.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2015 :  2:13:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input everyone. Since the I AM mantra still feels like a pebble in the shoe to me, it forces me to put more effort into focusing on it less, making it fuzzier etc. And that's no doubt strengthening my practice.

However for me TM (DM) always gave me the most sense of stillness (or pure consciousness) when I had the feeling I was following the mantra down deeper in a beta state away from higher conscious mind activity levels.

Some mantras seem to draw me deeper where others keep to the surface. Personally I AM is one of those that keeps me focused in the higher mental activity regions. If you have no idea of what I'm talking about, probably no-one else does either..;)

I'm still using the I AM mantra most of the time to try to conquer with the practice and overcome the irritation. It does seem to require some extra effort and vigilance on my part (which is counter productive at least for now). Other days when I don't feel like the struggle, I'll revert back to one of the tried and true. I'll persist though and see if it becomes effortless at some point..

Edited by - MrCuddly on Oct 24 2015 2:18:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to trying the I AM mantra. In fact I'm trying the SHREE SHREE I AM I AM modification also which seems to flow better.

Still being a bit of a mantra connoisseur having used lots of seed and other mantras for TM in the past, I AM STILL feels like the most abrasive mantra of all of them I've used.

It's the only one where I never seem to feel the deep sense of calm afterward. And it even feels uncomfortable while I'm using it.

HOWEVER, I've started again on the possibility that it's trying to awaken part of my nervous system that's resisting awakening. And I think that may have been the case.

Last two nights not only has it left me feeling unsettled, but I've had bizarre nightmares. But also while I've been feeling unsettled and even depressed afterwards (very odd for DM) some suppressed demons have also surfaced. And after seeing them in the light of day so to speak, they feel addressed and put to bed. Almost like vomiting where you feel relieved and finished with it afterwards. Better out than in - as they say.

So i'm still finding the I Am mantra difficult and clunky to use - but unlike usual DM where issues seem to dissolve away, this is more like exorcism. And no doubt both definitely seem to have their place.
Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2016 :  8:37:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've been using this one and it's working well. Originally it's like this, shree ayam namah. 3 separate words. But treating the last two as one like this, SHREE..AYAMNAMAH, gives it a certain rhythm and easy flow,no clunk.

In your case you could try SHREE-SHREE..AYAMAYAM.

I'm only a week into the DM practice,so to all of the more experienced AYP'ers, if this is wrong please let me know.

Edited by - lateralus on Jun 08 2016 03:36:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2016 :  10:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I've tried shree shree ayam ayam and it works well too. It can be too energizing sometimes especially using when using shambhavi and mulabanda with spinal breathing beforehand.
Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  07:32:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by MrCuddly

Yes I've tried shree shree ayam ayam and it works well too. It can be too energizing sometimes especially using when using shambhavi and mulabanda with spinal breathing beforehand.

Wow,same here. I ditched shree ayam namah,as it doesn't seem to be a legit AYP mantra. Found it on old yahoo group post from another AYP practitioner experimenting with mantra possibilities.

With this in mind,as you said, sri sri ayam ayam is a bit too energizing after SBP as I do the same. But I found just using "I am" or ayam not really doing anything at all. I guess I'm asking is there a shorter AYP mantra, but longer than ayam, to use as of now and later progress to the longer one when the time is right? I thought of trying Sri Ayam Ayam,or Sri Sri Ayam but not sure as it's not a legit AYP mantra. Anyone with thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by - lateralus on Jun 24 2016 07:40:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  11:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Lateralus,

SHREE AYAM NAMAH is one of the alternative mantra enhancements offered in lesson 369. It is the first of the alternative mantra enhancements.

Lesson 369 is available in the book : "Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living, Volume 2" and is also available on AYP Plus.

SHREE AYAM NAMAH is offered as an alternative to the regular first mantra enhancement because some people find the double "SHREE" aspect too powerful.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

lateralus

USA
59 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2016 :  11:39:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Hi Lateralus,

SHREE AYAM NAMAH is one of the alternative mantra enhancements offered in lesson 369. It is the first of the alternative mantra enhancements.

Lesson 369 is available in the book : "Advanced Yoga Practices, Easy Lessons for Ecstatic Living, Volume 2" and is also available on AYP Plus.

SHREE AYAM NAMAH is offered as an alternative to the regular first mantra enhancement because some people find the double "SHREE" aspect too powerful.

Christi

Good deal. The double "shree" was a bit too much for now.Legitamacy was my only concern using shree ayam namah. I'll start using it again. Thanks Christi,very much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  10:36:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr. Cuddly, I'm also a former TMer who changed to DM. I had difficulty with that, but after about a year maybe, I rarely have the mantras intermixing. Generally if I do find them mixing I either let them be what they will be (let the entertainment resume!), or I gently restart the DM mantra.

Even this small change in mantra habit is not something I want to repeat. I'm ok with DM and with occasional TM.

My recollection of TM was also that it was more peaceful, but I'm also 20 years older now, with experiences, joys, pains, wins, and losses. What effect does more life have on meditation peacefulness? I can't say. I only really know how it feels now.

Go to Top of Page

SwamiX

USA
35 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  6:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Frankly, I don't understand the need to change mantras. I practiced TM for years before I found this website, at which point I added Spinal Breathing to my practice. DM and TM are the same practice - unless someone has reason to think that the universal mantra provided on this site is preferable to the one they received from their TM teacher. However, I can't imagine the rationale for that view.
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  10:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  11:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Even Yogani states that different mantras have different effects. I'm not a long time TMer and probably only practice it for six months before finding AYP. But I AM well versed in mantras and during those first six months did enjoy the different effects, uses and efficacies of different mantras. I probably violated most of the rules including using the name of various dieties but had rich profound experiences in doing so.
Mostly I used various seed mantras and found the changing of a single letter to make a huge difference.

When I needed a bit of zip and shakti using shreem hreem etc and to go deep and calm lam ham som etc. just to name a few and in so doing found I had a good mantra for whatever mental state I was in. This made it much more possible for me stick with the twice a day meditations as I never dreaded them.

After all the difficulties adjusting to the "I am" mantra I do find it useful in the mornings on a work day because it seems to keep me more practical minded and energetic for work. But as good so far for reaching the bliss states.

I know this is heretical to TMers and AYPers alike most likely but I tend to stick with what works until it stops working.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis

USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  01:54:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SwamiX,

The I AM mantra has specific effects that work with the AYP system and should be used instead of the TM mantra if you are practicing AYP. There are many articles here explaining why.

And there are subtle differences between DM and TM.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  11:26:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is purely speculation, but part of me feels like there is an advantage to the universality and open-source transmission of AYP's set of mantras. Even though the process of refining mantras is deeply personal and happens in the interior of the neurobiology, we all know that the effects of cultivating stillness ripple out far beyond an individual person's body.

Therefore, it would seem that the more a particular vibration is utilized and effectively sewn into personal and collective consciousness, the more power that particular vibration will have moving forward. So, the more a particular mantra is used, albeit internally, the more traction that mantra will acquire on a collective level. The same could possibly be said about a specific set of sutras in samyama (which have a more outward direction from the get-go).

Just contemplating some possibilities here.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2016 :  12:27:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Another possibility is that different mantras open and stimulate different energetic pathways. We all know about the transformative power of sound. So by utilizing multiple pathways it would make sense that multiple doors are being opened to the nervous system chakras etc.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  02:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Another possibility is that different mantras open and stimulate different energetic pathways. We all know about the transformative power of sound. So by utilizing multiple pathways it would make sense that multiple doors are being opened to the nervous system chakras etc.

I agree with this hypothesis, that the subtle differences between the ™ mantra (at least my ™ mantra) and the DM mantra are significant. I can't really evaluate the differences between mantras except at an experiential level, and Ive only used these two.

I had trouble adjusting to AYAM for several months and I still find the other mantra coming back from time to time. I don't try to influence it, except still to gently return to AYAM when I notice I have drifted off of it. I strongly believe that meditations of these types (perhaps all meditations?) are intended to be passive except for the most gentle application of control.

But that means to me, that actively selecting and controlling which mantra to use and perhaps the faithfulness of its internal utterance are all "too much control." Mantras evolve within a given sitting. It can become finer and thinner and longer, or resonate with the power of a gong. These things are mine to experience, not mine to control, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2016 :  5:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
But that means to me, that actively selecting and controlling which mantra to use and perhaps the faithfulness of its internal utterance are all "too much control." Mantras evolve within a given sitting. It can become finer and thinner and longer, or resonate with the power of a gong. These things are mine to experience, not mine to control, in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

howard2224

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2020 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit howard2224's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The tantras has that Hreem has both male and female properties. Shiva (hr) Shakti (ee) Union (m)

Dr. David Frawley and Pillai also elaborate on this.

quote:

I've been doing TM consistently before discovering AYP and starting the practice several days ago. Even when doing TM I would use multiple mantras often in the same sitting. I found some felt much deeper and more spacious, while others were better for imposing themselves over mind chatter (for times when the mind was chatting WHILE the mantra was being repeated). Other seed mantras gave a certain pleasant effervescent energy to the meditation.

Of course this is unorthodox and frowned upon in ANY tradition, but they evolved in response to working with various mental mental states and have given me excellent results overall.

Since starting AYP this week, I've been limiting myself to just the "I AM" mantra but I'm finding it hard to reach the deeper states of relaxation and stillness I'm used to. Hopefully it's will work itself out over time.

Has anyone else had problems adjusting to the "I Am" mantra from previously used TM mantras?

Also are there other mantras containing both the masculine and feminine components that could work just as well as "I Am"?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000