Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Pranayama oxygenated blood is often not good
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2015 :  10:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
http://www.yogabody.com/episode-170...-medicating/

A very interesting interview of Dr Patricia Berbarg, a Harvard trained psychiatrist, on using breath to heal. She has found slow breathing can be very healing, even for several psychiatric conditions, while faster, oxygenating breathing can exacerbate those conditions, and even cause mania in some.

The common mainstream American yoga belief is that the benefit of pranayama is blood oxygenation.
Her studies show the opposite; that more CO2 in the blood is healing at a cellular and neurological level, while lowering blood pressure. In other words, more oxygen in the blood isn't always more oxygen in the cells, and can actually make one more stressed. She discusses different breathing for different purposes.
She is on Amazon and websites too.

PS I'm doing just a little meditation now, and from this info aiming for 5 breaths per minute spinal breathing, still quite allergic to beef, pork and peppers, and other kundalini sickness symptoms.

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  12:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This knowledge has been around for a long time. Back in the day Soviets did tests. Where if you inject pure CO2 into your blood you will not die. So the studies showed. I have no idea what the names of the studies were or where. I just know that too much oxygen is very bad for you all the time. Just like a car your body needs balance for 24/7 operations, under certain conditions sure, more oxygen is better and in other more CO2 is desirable, all depends.

The study showed that CO2 helped with processing oxygen through your blood stream into your body and organs. That is all I can remember right now.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  07:58:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
So her studies showed that fast breathing pranayama occasionally would produce heightened states of consciousness, but in those who were vulnerable it would produce mania.
The average person on the street breathes about 14 breaths per minute, while her studies showed that about 5 per minute produced a better state of mind, and never any bad effects. In fact it helped ADHD, PTSD, and other conditions.
Just a side note, she said when she learned psychiatry 30 years ago, drugs were rarely used, and psychiatrists often considered it sort of a failure when they had to resort to drugs. Today, drugs are a first choice, and the results are not better than before. In fact, the drugs are considered a means of "managing" the symptoms of a disease, not cure it.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  09:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Etherfish

Just a side note, she said when she learned psychiatry 30 years ago, drugs were rarely used, and psychiatrists often considered it sort of a failure when they had to resort to drugs. Today, drugs are a first choice, and the results are not better than before. In fact, the drugs are considered a means of "managing" the symptoms of a disease, not cure it.

More than just a side note, it shows the complete 180 of how "doctors" in the west changed their concept of medicine and patient care. In most other countries, preventative care is considered good medicine and doctors aren't drug dealers.

I heard some countries in Asia have doctors that charge patients only after their ailment has been cured, and this actually happened to me while visiting saint lucia island in the caribbean and getting an ear infection.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2015 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But big pharma is so nice to give so much money and "educational materials" to medical schools, they must put humanitarian aid before business profits, right? Ha ha just kidding.
Doctors in general are very caring people, doing the best they can, most not knowing the evil system they work within, because they had to sacrifice so much of their life for their education, and they studied hard.
There is an awakening happening though, in people like Dr. Berbarg.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  02:12:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Ether
always good to hear from you
so this shows that excessive pranayama is not always good and that using pranayama as a unique practice (many yoga schools only use pranayama) also can be dangerous
it is all about using an integrated range of practices and using common sense and self pacing
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  07:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maheswari,

I agree; in particular fast breathing is dangerous, unless you are doing fast physical activity.
But it also shows an overlap between pranayama practices and everyday life.
The average person on the street, averaging 14 breaths per minute and more is stressed and neurotic, and our breathing keeps us in that mind state. Fast breathing causes stress; and stress causes fast breathing.

Instead, if we occasionally during the day, just attempt to inhale about six seconds, and exhale about six seconds, we can easily bring more peace and enjoyment into our lives, without having to use drugs or other consumables. I am trying this a couple times a day, and it is very effective.

Of course, regular meditation makes this same difference also, but it is nice to make an immediate difference sometimes, instead of saying "I need to meditate more", which is not immediate.
And then, meditate more also, because the effect is more long lasting.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Etherfish

quote:
Instead, if we occasionally during the day, just attempt to inhale about six seconds, and exhale about six seconds, we can easily bring more peace and enjoyment into our lives

Nice tool to have. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  06:30:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a chance to test this tool this week at times that normally stress me a lot: In the dentist chair, and driving across town during rush hour. It helped me stay calm in both situations!
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  07:52:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In notice I am drifting of the topic....

quote:
Instead, if we occasionally during the day, just attempt to inhale about six seconds, and exhale about six seconds, we can easily bring more peace and enjoyment into our lives, without having to use drugs or other consumables. I am trying this a couple times a day, and it is very effective.

I wonder if this is the six seconds inhale and exhale or the breath awareness. Bring your awareness to the breath and do that every time it comes to your mind. One day it becomes natural. From own experience I can say, this will change your life.

Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2015 :  3:48:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Faster breathing.

Faster breathing while relatively physically inactive.
Co2 will potentially drop.
This causes oxygen to strengthen it's bond with hemoglobin.
Thus release of 02 into body tissue slows.
This causes a numb paresthesia ( tingling of the extremities).
This state can happen during slow consistent breathing as well as fast consistent breathing.

We call this hyperventilation.
Hypoventilation is an increase in co2.
Two modes of cellular respiration.

The thing about the ascetic traditions.
During breathing yes control of cellular respiration is part of the practice.
Control of blood pressure through breathing is another. Hence why you guys do *visualizations*.
Anyway.

When there is a higher co2 concentration in the blood, oxygen is released into the surrounding tissue more rapidly. Thus healing is increased. *it is the tissue that heals*
For you see, co2 controls the respiratory process.

Anyway. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  02:50:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In other Kriya practices I've followed, rapid breathing (4 breaths per second) is followed by bandhas and then slow breathing. This really charges the system energetically in a way that doesn't overload. The effect is 100%'beneficial with no downside to me personally.
Go to Top of Page

MrCuddly

USA
43 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2015 :  02:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Also it should be hard to prove that increased blood oxidation is a bad thing, since low levels of it are responsible for most degenerative diseases.

Edited by - MrCuddly on Oct 25 2015 03:59:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2015 :  3:09:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
A really good book that explains all this is 'The Oxygen Advantage' available on Amazon. It's a really good read.
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

FakeYogi

India
100 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2015 :  08:03:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Mr.Fish, when you slow down breathing during non-practice times do you also make a full breathing like during Pranayama or leave it at the shallow breathing that naturally happens without involving the chest? To me it seems slowing down is good but not doing a Pranayama style full breathing where so much air is inhaled that the chest expands.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000