AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Metta bhavana Meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  2:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I would like to just check with you all have any of you experienced or tried Metta bhavana meditation form the buddhist tradition. Ie the meditation of loving kindness. I tried it once last night and had an ecstatic experience of joy and happiness. I went about my day feeling so relaxed and peaceful and really couldnt bring myself to harm/hurt/ gossip about another. I would like to know your experiences if any and also to discuss what is the link here between this meditation method to that in the AYP system. Are there any similarities? Thoughts would be most welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett%C4%81

http://www.kamalashila.co.uk/blog-2/styled/

Love and light to you all.

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi swordsaint,

Metta is an awesome practice.

It is not the same type of practice as ayp DM, however, and won't replace it.

DM is designed to take you to meditation quickly and safely.

Metta is designed to generate loving bhakti toward others. As they say, bhakti yoga is the greatest yoga.

I'd encourage you to do DM daily as described in the lessons, and work with metta as an additional practice.

Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  4:32:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your response tonightsthenight...
I have tried doing DM followed by Metta Bhavana (Loving Kindness) Meditation and I really can't explain how intense and blissful the experience is. Is this because DM enhances the intensity of other practices? Should I do Loving Kindness Meditation directly after DM or should I wait a few moments..wake up and from DM and then engage on loving kindness. What are your thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2015 :  8:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From the kamalshila website, it outlines this practice takes twenty five minutes. I would not proceed or follow DM with this practice, instead, substitute it occasionally for one of your two daily sits. AYPs DM is efficient and strong; I wouldn't want to risk overload by overlapping the two, in my opinion.

My asana teacher is a devout Buddist, and speaks highly of Metta.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2015 :  10:48:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi swordsaint,

Last year I was participating a silent retreat Zen/Buddhism and the last day after 4 day's of silence we did the Metta Bhavana meditation. We send together Metta to each participant one by one. That was such a beautiful experience, one big love radiance

Edit: I combine this not with AYP, use it occasionally

Edited by - Charliedog on Oct 04 2015 10:54:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2015 :  11:04:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swordsaint and all,

We did a Metta Bhavana meditation towards the end of the AYP Thailand retreat last January and also on the last day of the Ireland retreat in June. I also teach it in classes some times.

It is a very beautiful meditation and a powerful heart opener. Whether it can be practised in the same sitting as DM really depends on the person. For some it would be too powerful, but other people would have no difficulties. So if you are using this practice, I would recommend being gentle with yourself and watch how it affects you, keeping an eye out for any symptoms of overload. If you are at all concerned, then use it at a different time to your regular AYP practices.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2015 :  12:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your kind responses and providing your insights. It was really helpful. God bless
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000