Asanas - Postures and Physical Culture
 halasan and pecular upper neck clicking pain
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

saurabh88

India
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
after some months of practice of basic asana and pranayam i started halasan and i loved it much.but after few days i have pecular pain in upper neck.it happens when i turned it to right side,there was a click sound in vertebral joint and pain every time.hence i left it for few week and now its ok.
but i think i am missing something without it because with it i started feeling of sweetness in my heart.but now that feeling disappeared..
what should i do?

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2015 :  2:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Saurabh88 I can't do the halason (plough) but I depend on hanging upside down using an inversion table daily and wouldn't want to live without it. I also use a plastic ramp to stretch my back and neck (True Back). Maybe one of those or both could help you get the sweetness back into your heart.

Those two together are making steady improvements to my posture that I haven't had my whole life. I still can't stretch forward much while doing Maha Mudra but I gauge my hatha yoga progress by how well I do Maha Mudra.

Just some ideas for you in case they seem interesting. You're smart to look for a replacement to your halasan. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  02:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
in halasana you should not move your neck right and left, keep the neck centered
if too much pressure is felt anywhere in the body, no need to let the toes touch the floor behind the head, it is better to keep supporting the lower back with your palms
all the best!
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  08:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
i think i am missing something without it because with it i started feeling of sweetness in my heart.but now that feeling disappeared..what should i do?

Keep doing (gentle) yoga, of course! Sensations, pleasures, flexibility waxes and wanes in asana practice on any given day; enjoy but resist attachment to pleasures that arise, steer clear of discomfort and pain.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  08:48:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would say, first avoid halasana and any other asana that puts strain on your neck. Second, look for a skilled hatha yoga teacher, and possibly a yoga therapist.

I know this problem pretty well since I have neck conditions myself, and my hatha yoga teacher is skilled enhough to teach me asanas or asana variations that not only don't harm my neck but even helped A LOT to reduce pain and limited range of movement in the neck.

Asana is really something you should do under the guidance of a good teacher. IMO, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2015 :  09:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi saurabh88,

Welcome to the AYP forums!
If I may suggest, find an experienced yoga teacher, there must be plenty in India halasana and also sarvangasana amongst other asana, I strongly recommend a real teacher for learning the do's and don't.
Very important is not to move the head in both asana. Every body and neck is different so be careful, especially with the neck.

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 20 2015 09:27:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  07:56:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In my Iyengar yoga class we do sarvangasana with a support under our shoulders to reduce the degree of neck bend. The normal support is a single folded blanket, and I use either two blankets under the shoulders or a low cork block under each shoulder. I need it because I had a neck injury in a bicycle crash last summer. The physical therapy process has taught me to be careful with forward neck bends henceforth.

For those who don't know, halasana and sarvangasana have the same upper body position, including the deep forward neck bend.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2016 :  08:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And as Ecdyonurus recommended, go to a good Hatha or Iyengar yoga class to learn to do asanas safely and under skilled supervision. I would say take a class with an Iyengar-certified instructor. I'm not sure if RYT Training has the same focus on safety.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000