Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Rest after DM. How do YOU do it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  9:33:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All!

Not much attention is given to the rest period after DM/Samyama. But, my experience has shown that if not enough rest is taken, it can wreck your entire day or night. Actually, I'd say that the rest period should be approached as any other AYP technique because of its importance.

How do YOU personally approach the rest period?

How long do you rest for?
Do you remain in your meditation position or move somewhere else?
Do you sleep during your rest?
Do you do any breath control during your rest?
What do you do about thoughts during your rest?
What is your general approach to the rest period?
Have you tried more than one rest period technique and what have you settled on?

Can you share your rest technique and does it effectively create that "buffer" between AYP and activity for you?

Thank you for the responses in advance.

Edited by - alecpeace on Aug 05 2015 9:42:10 PM

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2015 :  10:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The resting phase here is:

- just sitting
- everything can happen as it wants to (thoughts flow as they do, emotions, energy whatever happens happens)
- when everything has smoothed out and has come to its place, mostly the full silence happens and in this the whole system refreshes
- when this has reached its peak, the body-mind is rdy to get up by its own

Minutes: 5-15 depending on the session length and depth

In short: just being and allowing all to happen until all is fine :P

Peace and enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  01:46:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I consider rest as a full practice like SBP and DM.

I use a smartphone time for my AYP routino, and I set a rest phase of 9 minutes. Sometimes i rest longer, occasionally can fall asleep. Rest in savasana or viparita karani, never rest sitting (I don't use back support during SBP and DM, so I prefer to relax the body completely in the rest phase.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  02:57:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alecpeace,

After my meditation practice, I sit for 10/15 minutes, sometimes watching the clouds, or birds (I sit for a window) sometimes just sit with my eyes closed, watching breath. (not influence)
Resting time after meditation is important, for me it means come back to daily life, however I notice lately there is so much silence in me. There is not so much difference anymore.
More and more I feel life as a living meditation.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  09:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, I put a bed in the room where practices are done after all is done simply climb into bed and pull the covers over me and enjoy the glow of lights seen with closed eyes.

Allow the thoughts and emotional energy to take on whatever direction they will as they move across the screen of awareness by letting go into stillness and enter into deep states like sleep with witness fully aware, sometimes I even fall completely asleep but awaken before too long this can last up to 30 minutes.

Leave plenty of time for the unwinding to take place at its own pace as there is no telling it hey this is enough time hurry up and poop or get off the pot.

This is very much a part of practice and the time it takes is honored, after all I started this by sitting in sadhana what right has I to interfere with the unwinding sowed now the time of reaping comes witness to all letting go, letting go.

Doing that which causes unwinding one must allow what they set in motion to find it’s still point in silence, allow it to release most of it’s momentum and kinetic force.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Alecpeace,

Yogani emphasis rest after practices and the effects of not resting enough.

I used to rest in savasana for 5 mins. These days I cover myself with a blanket, lay down on my right and rest for 10 mins.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Leave plenty of time for the unwinding to take place at its own pace as there is no telling it hey this is enough time hurry up and poop or get off the pot.

made me laugh

quote:
This is very much a part of practice and the time it takes is honored, after all I started this by sitting in sadhana what right has I to interfere with the unwinding sowed now the time of reaping comes witness to all letting go, letting go. Doing that which causes unwinding one must allow what they set in motion to find it’s still point in silence, allow it to release most of it’s momentum and kinetic force.

So-True So-Hi !
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting responses. Everyone approaches the rest period so differently!

I continue sitting in my meditation position after DM is over without even opening my eyes or moving. Basically taking the stillness cultivated during DM forward into the rest period, the only difference is there no mantra anymore and no "doing" of anything.

I would even call this the "stillness" or "no-mind" phase. It's not meditation or pranayama; it's just "am", just "being". Sitting there blissfully in total silence and stillness of mind and thought. Sometimes thoughts come up, other times they don't. I enjoy the "no-thought" moments more, where I can bask in the infinite void of nothingness.

Some people on the forum said they liked the stillness of DM, but thought the mantra gets in the way of that. Well, after DM is a perfect opportunity to just enjoy the stillness, as an immediate and potent by-product/side-effect of AYP. After about 7 or 8 minutes of this rest, the deep stillness consciousness starts to wear off slightly and thoughts begin coming up, this is a sign for me that it's almost time to get up.

After about 10 minutes I open my eyes, become aware of my environment, stretch my arms and upper body like a cat, sit there for another minute and get up. All the issues I've had of irritability are gone now since I've done this. The entire AYP session+rest carries over into the day flawlessly.

Even after I get up though, I try to make sure I don't start activity at full speed, but slowly get into it, So at first I might move slower, talk slower, just being a bit lazy about it for 30 minutes and then the day just automatically starts to pick up.

The AYP session is like hitting a bell with a hammer. The reverberating effects are subtly felt all the way until the night session as pervasive calmness, contentness with life.

All in all, from the moment I sit down, to the moment I get up, my meditation timer is set for 50 minutes. 5min preparation, 10min pranayama, 25min DM, 10min rest.

P.S. A really good meditation timer for android on play store is called "Meditation Timer (free)" by Cupo. I've tried them all, this one is the best.

Edited by - alecpeace on Aug 06 2015 12:19:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2192 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  4:14:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Most times I rest in child's pose, my third eye "grounded" to the floor, body in full surrender. I often know rest is sufficient when my perineum finishes with its spasms and all is quiet inside.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  5:51:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used Meditation Timer (free) by Cupo too. I set the rest part of the meditation to 10 minutes, but often rest a little longer if I feel it's needed.

I normally sit for around a minute, then lay in bed in savasana. After a few minutes when I feel the need, I'll roll onto my right side until rest time is up.

No special technics or intention at all.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  7:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alepeace what you are describing is what some Kriya traditions call entering the Parabastha state of Kriya it is a state.

Try lying down after that and see what happens you might be surprised.
Go to Top of Page

alecpeace

USA
95 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2015 :  10:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by So-Hi

Alepeace what you are describing is what some Kriya traditions call entering the Parabastha state of Kriya it is a state.

Try lying down after that and see what happens you might be surprised.

Will do! thanks for the advice
Go to Top of Page

SuperTrouper

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  01:34:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do it the same way Holy does it, except lying down in bed, usually having pulled my comforter over me. As the duration passes, it's very clear and obvious that changes are occurring. From when I finished SBP/DM/Samyama, things feel like they wind down, or dust settles, or I'm coming back to reality. After about 10 minutes, everything has mostly settled and I feel normal enough to get up. During that time, I just let my mind do whatever it feels like, except I do not do any practices, or try to think about the practices (because the inclination to start practicing while lying down can creep in).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000