Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra matching pulse. Is this right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  11:45:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Okay I have been doing AYP DM for a little over two weeks. At first I did it cross legged but was unable to continue this way as my right knee hurts when bent at that angle since I think I did something to it before while trying a half lotus a few weeks back. Then I sat in a chair but felt like this wasn't right. I found a podcast on YouTube with Yogani and Dr. Ann and Yogani recommended sitting on your bed propped up with pillows. I do this with legs stretched out in front until my knee heals properly. But it seems when I do it this way I can feel my pulse stronger. And in the beginning of the meditation I notice the mantra matching my pulse and then I think that I shouldn't be doing that and it creates a whole other deviation from meditation. I know that in the beginning is the "clunky" refining process of the use of the mantra but I find my pulse in a way distracting as ridiculous as that sounds. Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you recommend anything and do you have tips on the flow of the mantra?

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  12:40:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, yes this has happened here also and to match the pulse is incorrect. Here is the thing the only way to do the mantra correctly is by easily favoring the mantra.

Easily Favoring is the key, you just favor the mantra which does not mean ignore the pulse it means favor the mantra instead. This is how all the practices of AYP are done no forcing just favoring the procedure.

IAM, IAM, IAM just like that just favor that.
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  12:45:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your quick reply, So-Hi. So say my pulse beats every second. The favoring of the mantra wouldn't be on the off beat just that the less I try to control it, the more beneficial it becomes in doing DM correctly.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2015 :  5:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
just let the pulse run at whatever rate it runs in time easily favoring the mantra the pulse and the pauses in between will cease to keep your attention, finding yourself off the mantra paying attention toon to something else entirely or at the same time is normal to occur and when it comes to you this has happened just favor the mantra a you will be back on it then off then on and with practice more on than off
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  12:26:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much, So-Hi. I already notice a huge difference.
Go to Top of Page

So-Hi

USA
481 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  07:43:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are welcome, sorry for the typos replied via phone but it appears you got it.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  11:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wolverine727, had similar experiences in the first weeks after starting AYP. After that, I even had a phase where the mantra matched the breath. My own theory (could be bullsh@@ of course) is that both the heart beat and the breath are natural mantras that we carry with us since our birth, so our body-mind finds both to be good beats to follow when doing mantra meditation. Now, the only thing I can say by personal experience is that the AYP lessons are true when they say that the only thing to do is to gently favour the mantra and that the rest will follow. Now here the mantra does not match the pulse anymore, and the breath is matched only occasionally anf for some breaths only.
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2015 :  3:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Ecdyonurus. It definitely makes sense regarding the pulse and breath. I amazed at how the mind can make such a simple thing so difficult.
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2015 :  8:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wolverine, I've had ongoing situations of the mantra syncing with my breath. I do not make it that way, it just happens. I notice that toward the end of DM I am not aware of any synchronization, and in fact the mantra repetition becomes almost imperceptible. It all just happens.

Just gently repeat, and resume repeating gently when you notice you are not doing so. Don't worry about the other stuff.

I think it's so easy that we can't believe it's so easy. Things just happen. That doesn't mean they are wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ken. Now is there is specific rate of repetition for the mantra. Like a faster tempo than a normal breath? I'm currently at a point where I almost force it at a certain rate. I know this is wrong but I want to keep it steady. Any pointers? Should I just get it out my mind that it has to be set?
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  8:29:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Wolverine727,
There is no specific rate of repetition for the mantra. Easy is right. This is what Yogani wrote this week in response to another question ("Time between mantra repetition." -http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=15385):

Hi All:

Good discussion and clarifications on easily favoring the mantra. The truth is that if we are continuously imposing a time gap in mantra repetition, or continuously imposing back-to-back repetition, both are wrong. Continuously imposing any kind of structure in mantra repetition is wrong. But we have to start somewhere, so we begin by easily repeating the mantra silently back to back, and letting it go as it will. And that is also how we pick it back up when we notice we have gone off it, wherever it is in clarity or faintness, without imposing a continuous mental structure on it.

It is so simple. Yet in our minds we strive to make it complicated. Just start the mantra and let it go how it will. Then when we notice we are not on it, come back to it and let it go how it will. Like that. When we find ourselves in stillness and notice we are off the mantra, we come back to it again at that very faint level, letting it go how it will, which will take us deeper.

As mentioned in the past, at refined levels the mantra will be a faint vibration we are coming back to and there will be no distinct rhythm. This is not a condition we can create as a structure in the mind either. We just favor it where it is, and let it go how it will. Correct meditation is not a doing, not about maintaining a continuous mental structure of any kind. It is a systematic undoing.

Every session will be different according to purification and opening that is occurring at the time. But the procedure of deep meditation is always the same.

By this simple process of traveling beyond thinking daily, our life will be enriched from within.

The guru is in you.

The rhythm, the intensity, and the clarity of the mantra will vary from session to session, as well as during a given session of meditation, depending on the process of purification. No need to micro-manage. Just easily favor the mantra when you realize that you are off it.

Best wishes for your practice!

Edited by - Blanche on Jun 27 2015 8:35:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2015 :  10:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well put, Blanche. Thanks so much! You as well as the thread by Yogani have definitely cleared it up. Love this community in the forums. Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2015 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anytime you are off the mantra which includes thinking it should be this speed, or that speed, or synchronised with the breath, heart beat, letting go of the mantra, or any other array of infinite variety THEN easily go back to favouring the mantra again. When the mind is busy with anything else other than the easy repetition of the mantra then it is off the mantra, even whilst seeming to be on the mantra. weird huh ?

The mind makes it difficult because we are taught that mastery is a matter of exact repetition, in a precise way. It manufacturers the game when it is applied to self. The early beginnings of the witness spring from the dichotomy of the awareness of this internal action.

Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  3:47:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Karl. The mind definitely wouldn't want to meditate willingly.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2015 :  5:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Wolverine727

Thank you Karl. The mind definitely wouldn't want to meditate willingly.

Of course the mind is you and not some separate entity there is a need to create a false dichotomy in order to develop the space/stillness to see how the thoughts flow. It is the equivalent of counting to ten before taking action.
Go to Top of Page

Wolverine727

USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2015 :  10:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well put, Blanche. Thanks so much! You as well as the thread by Yogani have definitely cleared it up. Love this community in the forums. Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000