AYPsite.org Forum
 Enlightenment Milestones
 Confusion on most appropriate path
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  09:08:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Dear members of the forums,
first of all I'm so grateful that there is an avenue like this to actually discuss the inner workings of spiritual progress. I wouldn't know where to turn otherwise.

I have a question or need some advise regarding my particular situation. I have been practicing meditation regularly for the 8-9 months with much progress. I at times feel lighter, happier, more joyful, less stressed, have this sense of detachment to things that usually would make me angry etc.

While i'm enjoying all this, I've also been reading many different kinds of books on yoga, meditation, siddhis etc. and each one has their own interpretation and I find a lot of it actually not exactly the same as the AYP writings. But of all the paths the path of TM and AYP has been proving to be giving me the most benefits that I can actually feel a difference with.

My question is: How do I know that this path is truly the real path that will lead me to getting enlightened/attain siddhis/ spiritual powers etc. Are there others out here who by practising AYP methods have gained siddhis? Why I'm asking is because siddhis would actually be the evidence I'm looking for as a sign of spiritual milestone that would validate that for me this is the right path and I just need to continue/expand on my practices.

I know Yogani says dont pay too much attention to siddhis, but at least for me it would serve as the 'thunder and the lightning' in the sky from God that would say: You are on the right path, just keep doing what your doing.

Thank you all kindly for your advice,

Yours in love and respect,

Swordsaint

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  11:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Swordsaint

You are doing great! I don't know how long you practised TM before AYP, but I suspect it's only a matter of time before you get further results.

As for comparing paths/systems, you have got in AYP one of the most comprehensive there is - plenty of techniques to help you grow. Have you tried pranayama yet?
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  11:50:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Blue,
thanks for your swift response. From what I've read and seen there is not so much difference between the AYP deep meditation and the TM meditation technique just a change in the mantra. I have only recently started or attempted spinal breathing, I can't say it's led to dramatic experiences thus far but it's helped me get calm and silent before beginning meditation, which I reckon would help be get into a deeper state during meditation
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  12:07:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I believe the meditation technique in AYP is in fact inspired by TM. Mantra meditation is, to my knowledge, the most powerful form of meditation there is.

The big advantage of AYP over TM is that it gives you lots more practices beyond meditation. My suggestion is to persevere with spinal breathing. In time, also add Mulabandha and Sambhavi and the other AYP practices after that. It is the energy work (added to the meditation baseline) that will lead you quickly to the results you're looking for (self-pacing is in order, of course). So follow the method for a little while longer. You will get the answer your question – your own experience will tell you more than any confirmation I or other practitioners around here could give you
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  12:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by swordsaint

My question is: How do I know that this path is truly the real path that will lead me to getting enlightened/attain siddhis/ spiritual powers etc.

Hi Swordsaint,

My teacher told me once, you are the only one who can find out if my truth is yours....
I know he was right.....

If you are practicing meditation every day (and you say you are making progress! ) you will find your inner silence.
If you have found your inner silence you can ask for guidance on your spiritual path.
You are mentioning already spiritual milestones......feeling happier, lighter, more joy, less stress, detachments!
If you go on with your practice the milestones will deepen, step by step.
If your deepest wish is to find yourself and you surrender, you will receive an answer on your deepest wish......

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  12:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

My question is: How do I know that this path is truly the real path that will lead me to getting enlightened/attain siddhis/ spiritual powers etc. Are there others out here who by practising AYP methods have gained siddhis? Why I'm asking is because siddhis would actually be the evidence I'm looking for as a sign of spiritual milestone that would validate that for me this is the right path and I just need to continue/expand on my practices.

Knowing if others have siddhis is not going to help you make up your mind regarding AYP practices, because it will not guarantee siddhis for you. Any practice that guarantees siddhis is suspect and should be taken with a grain of salt. We all have individual spiritual outcomes from practice, and siddhis may or may not be available to you.

If you wish to communicate with God, I can think of no better way than developing inner silence through a devoted practice you love, as that is where you have access to the Source. You will know in your heart if you are on the correct path by surrendering expectations and desired outcomes, and allow your blossoming to occur on its own within a system you love to practice. Thunder and lightening are sure to follow; it just may not be the weather event of your expectation, and it's possible it could be more than expected. From what you are experiencing thus far, it sounds like you're doing great.
Go to Top of Page

ak33

Canada
229 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  1:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Like Dogboy said, inner silence and moment-to-moment happiness and love are worth alot more in your daily life than siddhis. That being said, I don't think siddhis should be regarded with aversion. Most spiritual practices pursued long enough lead to siddhis, but they are a byproduct. To be frank though, if your goal is siddhis there are more expedient paths, but they may/may not lead you to happiness (may even lead to despair). You have to decide what your goal is.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  2:59:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Swordsaint,

How to know that this path is truly the real path that will lead you to getting enlightened/attain siddhis/ spiritual powers etc.?

Well, you are reporting many positive things that you have already experienced after only some months of practices - looks like evidence that you are on a good path. I would say: keep on practicing in the same path.

Of course, there are many different approaches in yoga. Maybe you could find another path that fits you well. But you will have to try yourself. Even if people report that a certain path is effective for them, this does not mean that it is the right path for you.

By the way, I don't understand why you look at siddhis as an evidence, a confirmation that the path is the right one for you. Consider that you could wait for years before experiencing such things, you could even wait forever. Why dont'you simply judge by the little positive things that happen in daily life?
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  9:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Thank you guys for your advice. I am getting positive results and this was further proven to myself this morning during my session of SB and DM. The reason why there was some doubt when I asked the above questions was because this was due to some doubts almost a 'too good to be true' kind of feeling. Ie. is this really it? Has God really blessed me with a system that actually will work and lead me to liberation and spiritual advancement? Is this REALLY the way?

Why I asked on siddhis was because while the idea that bliss and happiness really is worth more than siddhis on a practical level is more true, however due to certain skeptical websites they say that TM/DM is just psychological/hypnosis/placebo etc. And if any of you had supernatural experiences ie siddhis it would further clear those doubts..

So I guess that due to me reading all kinds of viewpoints it was creating doubts in my mind and thanks to your responses it did address them.

It was these kind of doubts that I had, thank you all for your advise your replies hit home and resonated within.

Edited by - swordsaint on Apr 11 2015 10:13:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

PastMorning

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2015 :  11:52:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
however due to certain skeptical websites they say that TM/DM is just psychological/hypnosis/placebo etc.

I've seen people down talk AYP on different forums by people who didn't even try any of the practices. There was an instance where someone simply didn't get the results they wanted and threw the validity of the practices and others experiences under a bus just to feel better about him/herself. It's simply a matter of personal experience at the end of the day.

As someone who did these practices in response to depression, I can honestly say that they work.

Here is where things get complex: Siddhi that come as byproduct are often more unique and personal to an individual practitioner as stated by Dogboy. Someone may be inclined towards being able to read peoples emotions better, someone else may end up being able to manipulate energy at will, and there are more that I have only heard about and experienced. These abilities are disastrous in the hands of individuals who don't have stable, grounded, and loving minds that work in alignment with those abilities. On top of that, power corrupts even the strong willed when enough is present. No one is ever invincible to this corruption which I why steady practice is ideal.

Most occultist that destroy themselves are the ones that are inclined towards destructive behavior in the first place. Seasoned occultists tend to agree with most of our ideas here.

Judge by the less is more principle, on the basis of less as being an expansive variable and you should be fine. At least that is what works for me.
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2015 :  08:05:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
the gifts we recieve are love, peace,tolerance ,forgiveness and everything that pertains to the eternal for me this is enough for any lifetime many blessings to you may your practice open the doors of the heart to the divine .
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  06:02:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
All paths are the right paths. How could they be otherwise ? The intention should be present, from there all else follows as a tree grows from seed. There is no need to consider the method of growth, one only needs to seek the light.

Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2015 :  11:35:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Swordsaint,

Siddhis are NOT evidence of being "on the right path" or "making spiritual progress." In fact, you can readily obtain them by doing unhealthy occult practices which don't lead anywhere good but only result in more attachment and misery. When siddhis do arise in the course of a healthy yoga practice they can be a distraction, which is why Yogananda and others warn against preoccupation with them. He said, "they are digressions from a serious search for God... Spiritual advancement is not measured by one's outward powers, but only by the depth of his bliss in meditation."

Rather, the "evidence" you need is already happening and it's much more subtle, what the Christian tradition calls "the fruits of the Spirit," as Kumar described above: love, peace, tolerance, forgiveness; as you said, "lighter, happier, less stressed," etc. Above all in AYP we look for the arising of inner silence and ecstatic conductivity, usually in that order, and the effect that has on our life.

Now, you said this is not enough because a skeptic told you it could just be "self hypnosis," as if to say that would be somehow false or inferior to "real enlightenment." IMO it's all just a matter of semantics. Are you getting results? Great! Then you're on the "right path." That doesn't mean there is only one "right path." Whatever works and feels right.

If you continue your daily practice of SB and DM eventually you will be so fulfilled that you won't care about siddhis. Union with God is infinitely more satisfying than "thunder and lightning." When siddhis do arise their purpose is to help us serve others. I've been practicing yoga for 39 years and siddhis primarily manifest in the course of my work as a spiritual advisor doing "psychic readings." Beyond that I have no interest in siddhis whatsoever.

All the best to you in your yoga practice!

Go to Top of Page

HathaTeacher

Sweden
382 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2015 :  2:30:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Well put, Radharani.
_/\_
Go to Top of Page

swordsaint

29 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  2:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your advice..I came across this again after a few months and I'm grateful for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000