Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 neti question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  04:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

I recently started neti rinsing but I don't have access to any pure salt(aka not table salt). So I don't have a saline solution, but I have read about the benefits of xylitol as a nasal rinse.

So I started rinsing with just a xylitol solution, and it stings and burns. I could tolerate the sensations actually, but I just want to know if this will be harmful to my nasal membranes or not?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  04:49:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi reality11

Using slightly saline water is to balance the salt content of your internal fluids (both blood and lymph are slightly salty). Xylitol doesn't do it of course. Using plain water would be just as uncomfortable. If it hurts, then the nasal membranes are under some strain (I suspect some osmosis process is taking place through the membranes). I personally wouldn't do it.

I'm surprised you cant' find salt where you live. Surely if you can buy food there, somebody will sell salt suitable for human consumption as well?
Go to Top of Page

reality11

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  06:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I do have salt but it contains other ingredients so it's not pure salt. But I will purchase some pure salt if there is a possibility that I am harming my nasals. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2015 :  1:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Natural seal salt should be available in many grocery stores, or you can buy it thru Amazon. Also you can buy commercial neti pot packets at many pharmacies.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2015 :  03:56:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lately i stoped using salt , just water
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000