Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Too early for samayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ace

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  09:19:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone,

I'm currently practicing 20min of Meditation and 5-10min Pranayama twice a day. I added Amaroli at the beginning of this month and things are feeling really good, as I can feel inner joy increasing every day and life is quite wonderful overall.

I'm currently reading Yogani's book on Samayama and I feel a strong desire to add the practice at the beginning of the next month.
In the book it is mentioned that Samayama is an advanced practice that works only if inner silence is already cultivated and some additional practices should be already incorporated in the daily meditaiton. (I have started meditating for about 1 year)

What do you guys think, should I add other things or is it ok to add samayama?

Thanks and greetings to everyone

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  09:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ace

Yes, you can add Samyama whenever you feel there is some inner silence. There is no need for other techniques to be added before it, but make sure you've stabilized Amaroli first. Amaroli is a powerful practice and it will give kundalini a good nudge, so watch that space.

Sounds like you're doing great. Enjoy!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 18 2015 09:31:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  09:42:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ace

Hello everyone,

What do you guys think, should I add other things or is it ok to add samayama?

Hi Ace,

Sounds if you are doing good work ! If you feel that strong desire, give it a try! Strong desire is a good sign For example a month and see what Samyama will bring you, after that month you can decide if you would like to continue or not...Imo, add one thing at the time, then you can see best how it works for you.
All the best,

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  10:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Outward flowing samyama is a terrific compliment to inward flowing DM, and for me makes my daily practice a complete cycle. After rest, the outward flow continues into daily activity. In this way I feel I am subtlety sharing the fruits of practice with everyone I encounter.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  10:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

Outward flowing samyama is a terrific compliment to inward flowing DM, and for me makes my daily practice a complete cycle. After rest, the outward flow continues into daily activity. In this way I feel I am subtlety sharing the fruits of practice with everyone I encounter.

Beautiful described Dogboy! Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2015 :  12:17:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
samyama +=
Go to Top of Page

Ace

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  05:58:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

Hi Ace

Yes, you can add Samyama whenever you feel there is some inner silence. There is no need for other techniques to be added before it, but make sure you've stabilized Amaroli first. Amaroli is a powerful practice and it will give kundalini a good nudge, so watch that space.

Sounds like you're doing great. Enjoy!

Hi BlueRaincoat,

I definetly feel like I'm constantly developing inner silence. Every day feels like a little new adventure and I'm becoming very humble when I think about all the things that are still ahead of me in terms of practice and of life in general.

You are definetly right about Amaroli, it's a strong practice and gives additional energy. But I'm confident that I can manage to self-pace correctly, especially because it's easier with amaroli, as I can just vary the amount I use.

Have a great day

Go to Top of Page

Ace

Germany
30 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for those wonderful replies You gave me the assurance I needed.

I will add samyama in two weeks and I'm already feeling excited when I think about it. It seems like samyama is a very powerful and enjoyable practice and many people have a high opinion of it.

I just wanted to add a quick thought, It's quite funny, how at the beginning of my practice I was mainly interested about the energetic side of AYP (spinal breathing, kundalini..) and now I'm much more fascinated by the rise of inner silence. The thing is, I don't know which practice has which outcome, yet. So I know I'm feeling great, but I'm not sure about the cause.

For example: I'm feeling a lot better since I started amaroli, but ever since I started it my meditation has also improved a lot. So I'm not sure which factors is responsible and I would love to know more about how things exactly work and influence each other.
It really seems to be true, that all practices interact with each other. Any thoughts on this topic?

I'm so greateful for the day I found AYP adn started to practice
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2015 :  06:45:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Basically meditation is for developing inner silence. All the other techniques work on the energy, except Samyama which I think is a bit of an odd one out in this classification - it does something to the inner silence, but I couldn't say it belongs squarely in either category.

In practice it doesn't feel as clear cut because, as you noticed, practices build on each other. The ecstatic feeling rising from energy practices makes it easier for the mind to be quiet, so they contribute to inner silence. That is if practices are properly balanced. And that is the trick, because too much energy boosting leads to kundalini overload and that is not conducive to inner silence. When in doubt, prioritise meditation over the energy practices.

You're doing great. Enjoy!

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 19 2015 4:01:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2015 :  5:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Ace, have you incorporated samyama? I agree with everyone that your Bhakti is Nudging you in that direction so go for it. You can always scale back but I personally did not find it too intense. I began with only the first three sutras and took it slow. That could be why. I still have not got the guts to try amaroli but reading your posts is very inspiring. as you say every day is a new adventure! Oh how I love digging and planting in the AYP garden!

Edited by - Prem on Apr 08 2015 6:05:55 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000