Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 DM & Heavy Metal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  6:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So, I have a situation. I live in a paper thin apartment building, and often when I sit for my afternoon meditation session my neighbor who shares the main wall of my house is deciding that he has to listen to heavy metal music.

I got through SBP today, but only 10 minutes of DM, the BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM, is just too much for me to handle. I suppose he has a right to play music as it is daytime (I do my second session early afternoon) but I'm finding myself so angry I want to 'splode.

I have trouble with social interaction to begin with (I'm autistic) so I don't even know HOW to go over there and make him STFU...

WHAT do I DO?

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  7:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have you met this neighbor, or even spoken to them before? If not, start by introducing yourself sometime and make sure you smile.

My guess is you meditate around the same time in the afternoon; at some point (they) need to know your request for peace during that time. If you're friendly and they're reasonable, then problem solved. Direct friendly interaction is the first place to start. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  8:07:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Foam ear plugs might help a bit.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  8:49:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Or you could go to a park nearby and meditate over there. Anywhere outdoors for that matter
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Music would disturb anybody during practices, I suppose.

Do you have a friend/family/therapist that could help you talk to that guy?

Buying ear plugs could also be a good solution.
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  10:04:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

Music would disturb anybody during practices, I suppose.

Do you have a friend/family/therapist that could help you talk to that guy?

Buying ear plugs could also be a good solution.

I guess I'll try earplugs, I'm not goign to talk to the guy, people are mean here, this is the Mohave Desert....there are no parks here either and going outside is EXTREMELY unpleasant....I guess I'll have to wear earplugs :P
Blech
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  10:22:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dialogue and prayer.
Go to Top of Page

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  10:23:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Is he pretty consistent with the time he plays it? Does he play it for long? Are you able to adjust when you sit to have a greater chance of avoiding the music?
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  11:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You. can also try shooting ear procection.

Most Heavy metal guys I know are very nice people. On the other hand, your description of the people living in the Mohave Desert is quite scary!

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Mar 01 2015 11:09:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  11:36:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Ecdyonurus

You. can also try shooting ear protection.

Most Heavy metal guys I know are very nice people. On the other hand, your description of the people living in the Mohave Desert is quite scary!

They say "the desert is inhospitable" and it is true, people shoot you for just looking at you funny here. It is the hottest place on the planet (130° high in the Mohave during summer)and I should be out of here by June.

As for talking with neighbors, I have trouble with that, my "social intercourse" is often combative and awful (I have autism and I don't function like other people)...I'm all very depressed about this.
Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  12:32:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm giggling after reading your post. When I first started meditating, my husband would just seem to have to come into the hallway and sing and dance. It used to irritate the crap out of me. What was I suppose to do? Tell him not to be happy? I couldn't do it.

I don't know what the answer is.
Go to Top of Page

LittleKid

USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  1:44:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Buy your neighbor some good quality Headphones.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  1:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe earplugs will work? Also, an interesting question is to why the emotional reaction when bliss or meditation gets interrupted? Interruption is a also (only) a perception, the music could be viewed otherwise though I fully appreciate how challenging this could be to do.
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  2:37:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anthem

Maybe earplugs will work? Also, an interesting question is to why the emotional reaction when bliss or meditation gets interrupted? Interruption is a also (only) a perception, the music could be viewed otherwise though I fully appreciate how challenging this could be to do.

while in theory it is a marvelous idea, I just have to admit to myself (and others), that I ain't there yet!

I even had to throw out (yep actually got rid of) a clock in my house that goes "tic tic tic tic tic" AAAHHHHH in favor of a digital clock, because it would so interfere with my DM (strangely it never interfered with my SBP)

I ain't enlightened (yet) LOL!
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  01:31:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Samyama. Lovingly drop it into your silence as soon as he starts and wait... KNOW that he will stop right away.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  07:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I played with some year plugs only last week. Even tried two brands, one was better quality than the other and for a short time I though it was working, but no. I'd say ear plugs are a waste of time.

If you want to go down that route I'd suggest looking for some good quality sound blocking earmuffs.

Good luck
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  09:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to meditate in a public toilets, can you try that?

I was doing that on my college and in the shopping centre. There was some silent music in the shopping centre but I didn't bother that so much.

Maybe you're thinking it would be unpleasent to remain in a toliet for half and hour or so, but never mind... Even if someone would notice it, they would say anything. To encourage you, I'm not autistic but I do have social anxiety.
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Sungazer

I was doing that on my college and in the shopping centre. There was some silent music in the shopping centre but I didn't bother that so much.

Maybe you're thinking it would be unpleasent to remain in a toliet for half and hour or so, but never mind... Even if someone would notice it, they would say anything. To encourage you, I'm not autistic but I do have social anxiety.

There are no public toilets in the Mohave Desert
Go to Top of Page

Sungazer

Croatia
61 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  10:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by justaguy

quote:
Originally posted by Sungazer

There are no public toilets in the Mohave Desert

Then go to desert!
Go to Top of Page

justaguy

USA
39 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  4:17:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit justaguy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
lol, the desert isn't as pleasant as you imagine it! LOL
I'll be leaving here in a few months, and this is the most horrible place I've ever lived in my entire life.
If it's not 120° here then it is 50° with 70mph wind gusts and torrential rain...absolutely so not an "idyllic" place to meditate.

within a few months I'll be across the country in North Carolina, I can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2015 :  8:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by justaguy

quote:
Originally posted by Anthem

while in theory it is a marvelous idea, I just have to admit to myself (and others), that I ain't there yet!

I even had to throw out (yep actually got rid of) a clock in my house that goes "tic tic tic tic tic" AAAHHHHH in favor of a digital clock, because it would so interfere with my DM (strangely it never interfered with my SBP)

I ain't enlightened (yet) LOL!

Let me clarify in saying that I am sure I would find mantra too much of a struggle with loud music going on nearby. There are some great suggestions on this thread like using a bathroom and maybe running the bath or shower at the same time to "drown" it out.

Just pointing out that it is an interesting question as to why it would evoke an emotional reaction. It might be a worthy experiment at some point, once mantra meditation is finished for the day to be present and still with the emotions as they come up, can sometimes lead to great insight.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  4:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My husband used to play the grand piano when I sat for the evening session.There is no place to hide from this piano. It did irritate me for a while. Then I decided that the problem was not the piano, but my poor concentration. We all heard the story about Ramana Maharshi who was going so deep in meditation that mice ate his flesh, and he did not feel it... In comparison, my problem seemed minor. It took about two weeks to meditate with this new attitude, and then I could not hear the piano. My husband started asking me: "Should I stop playing?" "No, enjoy it, I do not hear it when I meditate." Soon afterwards, my husband started to meditate with me! And the dog - that's another story...
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2015 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! Sweet Blanche!

I have to back you up on this Justaguy. The Mohave Desert is notorious for being as lawless as the "Old Wild West".

Its great you're getting out of their soon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000