Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Changing ourselves by changing our mind
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Whoziz

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  2:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Two of Edgar Cayce's favorite sayings were, "mind is the builder" and "thoughts are things." It took me quite a while to understand what he was talking about.

quote:
For mind is the builder and that which we think upon may become crimes or miracles. For thoughts are things and as their currents run through the environs of an entity's experience these become barriers or steppingstones, dependent upon the manner in which these are laid as it were. For as the mental dwells upon these thoughts, so does it give strength, power to things that do not appear. ~ Edgar Cayce Reading 906-3

More recently I came across information about brain plasticity, a scientific term for the way the brain changes as we repeatedly think or act, that bears out Cayce's statements. The more often we choose to be responsive instead of reactive, to be kind rather than defensive, to be loving instead of fearful, we establish good habits that make us feel good about who we are and bring us a sense of contentment and happiness. The same apparently is true when we meditate as it establishes pathways in the brain toward peace and joy.

Timothy D. Wilson, a psychology professor at the University of Virginia, wrote in his book Strangers to Ourselves, Discovering the adaptive unconscious that
quote:
if we want to change some aspect of our adaptive unconscious, a good place to start is to deliberately begin acting like the person we want to be.

We become that which we consistently think and do.

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2015 :  5:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A year and a half into AYP and the rewiring is underway, no doubt about it. Great habits, great . If we are That, then our will is That too. For me I am learning to radiate will from the Solar Center. It is a work in progress this radiation and surrender.
Go to Top of Page

KarenVic

Canada
67 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2015 :  09:51:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Whoiz, great post. Yes thougts become things, so affermations and concious visualization, and or a visualization board. But the main problem for me is just getting rid of the Old House as it were. Tearing down and building anew is always easier, rennovations take so long and you have to clear all the old out firs before you put in the new. That is where Yoga, and for me at least, the Sedona method (which is specifically about letting go of emotional baggae

I think its a blend, watching our thoughts, catching out thoughts, choosing again. A strong Bhakti will guide us, past what we think we our with our limited mind, into the potential (at least that is what I am praying for()

God speed
K
Go to Top of Page

HealthyApproach

USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2015 :  12:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit HealthyApproach's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
agreed, i have done it many times but always seam to lose focus when things are going well. But you can for sure change Everything in your life just with the power of thought. Changing how we think, and what we think about will bring results. No matter how big or small they are. Just have to take a couple minutes out of the day to just sit and think.
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2015 :  06:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What is, is. What is not, is not.

Change is the difference between what one remembers and what is present. There is innate fallibility in memory, especially when it is the mind which is itself the instrument of measurement.

Take a CD of recorded music. It cannot know if the music it holds is more or less beautiful from day to day.

It is impossible to measure something subjective. We can feel better or worse but that does not equate to an objective measurement and so it should be discarded as not having any pertinence to truth, or fact.

If a test or set of conditions can be developed which can provide precise measures of change then we can use it to establish something scientifically, but beyond that we must assume that we are randomly erring based on emotional responses and not hard evidence.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000