Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 What is happening to me during meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

donovanep

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  6:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello there, I'll give a little back story as it may be relevant.

I've been meditating for around a year, relatively consistently with some results. However I recently began using brain entrainment meditation tracks and had some noticeable effects. After listening to the track on my third day I rather quickly went into a very deep meditative state which I have only experienced a couple of times during my silent meditations. This now happens every time I use the entrainment tracks.

I read something online about focusing your eyes onto the third eye position in the middle of your forehead and decided to try that during a meditation. I began to feel a tingling sensation in that area and then a sensation of energy began to rise through my body which felt somewhat sexual in nature. My heart rate also began to increase rapidly and finally I saw a kind of coloured tunnel image and it felt as if the energy had spilled out (the only way I can describe it). After that I became quite afraid and stopped focusing my eyes into that position. I also haven't done that since the experience

A few days in a row, a few hours after listening to the tracks I have felt very low and depressed and quite hopeless for a time, but then as the evening comes about it fades away completely.

I originally got into meditation to help with some depression issues and I know I have a lot of repressed emotions that I'd like to deal with and move through.

What i was wondering is if these depressive feelings are simply repressed emotions being raised to the surface due to the deep nature of the meditation or some kundalini energy that I'm forcefully releasing that I perhaps shouldn't be pushing so far.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks.

Edit: I thought I'd add something that I believe is related.

- I have suffered from slight back aches in the past, which I believe is my body attempting to keep my repressed emotions where they are. These have now come back since the deeper meditations which I don't believe is a coincidence.

Edited by - donovanep on Jan 26 2015 6:40:03 PM

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2015 :  9:04:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. Stop the entrainment traks for a while and see if things improve. Meanwhile read through the lessons here in the site for a greater understanding.

Enjoy your stay
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  02:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi donovanep,

I'm somewhat concerned by your description of feeling very low, depressed and hopeless after this kind of meditation. Certainly if this happened from following the AYP lessons, the advice would be to do less of it for a while until you start to feel more stable again.

It is normal for buried feelings from the past to come up, either during meditation or afterwards. But generally it is best that they come up at a rate that we can easily integrate them again into our lives. If there is too much too soon, depression can be the result, and continuing in the same way could lead to more damage than purification.

I don't know anything about these brain entrainment meditation tracks that you talk about. Is it possible to scale back your use of them? E.g. if you are listening to 10 minutes, to reduce this to 5, and to see if this helps? My personal feeling is that if these openings do not occur without the tracks, then you might not be ready for them yet.

Most people on this forum are following a specific set of practises that are outlined in the lessons mentioned by jusmail above. The lessons start here http://www.aypsite.org/10.html . We can probably give better advice relating to those.

Best wishes on your path!
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  02:26:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  05:20:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think there is a lot of mistaking trance states with meditation. A lot of this brain entrainment puts you into a mind awake body asleep state or lowers you into your sub-conscious.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  05:45:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi donovandep, I suggest you to stop or at least reduce your practices for a while. The symptoms you describe seem bad enhough.

Knowing why thise symptoms happen seems not very important to me. Much more important is to be careful and reduce your practice to a level where you feel comfortable again in daily life. This does not mean you have to feel happy all the time, but having bad depression is not helpfull at all.

Edited by - Ecdyonurus on Jan 27 2015 05:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2015 :  06:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Donovanep, welcome!

You have got some very good advice and I can only join the others in encouraging you to consider self-pacing.

The point I wanted to make (more of a question really) is about the brain entrainment technology.
I know there is research showing this technology's effectiveness in inducing deep relaxation and hypnosis. They seem to me to be short term studies. Does anyone know of any piece of research that follows subjects through long-term use of brain entrainment?

If no such studies have been done, that would mean you may be taking more of a risk with this technology than with traditional meditation techniques, which have been empirically tested over many hundreds of years. That is not to say long-term use of brain entrainment is unsafe, just that – as far as I'm aware - we don't know for sure. Perhaps other people could shed more light on this?

I hope you will soon find the right balance in your practice. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

kensbikes100

USA
192 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2015 :  5:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I would like to echo Ecdyonurus, I feel this kind of response to a practice is not likely to be healthy, based on my encounter with serious depression many years back.

Depression is not lack of happiness or of the emotion of sadness. It is an extensive reduction of your capacities that can be very hard to manage. NOT to be trivialized!

I'm an engineer, not a medical or mental health professional. I find DM and SB tend help me be more effective in life and in my job, which to me is the opposite of depression.

Best wishes and please kemus posted!!
Go to Top of Page

insightstate

Romania
10 Posts

Posted - May 10 2015 :  04:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit insightstate's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My advice for you is to find yourself a real life teacher from an authentic and traditional spiritual practice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000