Kundalini - AYP Practice-Related
 Off-centered kundalini from the crown chakra
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shivka108

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  2:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello. I have been doing the AYP practices for about a year and a half now, applying self-pacing and all that good stuff. I have had some nice experiences and have felt some ecstatic conductivity ever since beginning the spinal breathing, which has been felt along the spine, and often with stronger sensations at the third eye and the root. I have built up to pretty much the full course of practices prescribed through the first 'Easy Lessons' book, and recently got to the lessons on beginning to place attention on the crown. As advised, I began just by bringing some attention there at the end of practices. As soon as I tried this, I felt I could really feel the blossom/bowl up there. After a few days of just resting attention there I felt I was ready for a little more.

Two nights ago, while laying in bed, I did like sambhavi but at the crown instead of the ajna. I immediately felt a kundalini sensation unlike what I had previously experienced. It was somehow lighter, more tingly, ticklish and more orgasmic. This was felt on the crown, then moving down the right side of the neck, and most intensely on the right side of the lower back. Why I bring it up is because of how far off center it was. It was not at all in the spine but distinctly on the right side. I have at times in past months felt some ida/pingala action, like a definite impression of energy rising and spiraling around the sushumna during spinal breathing pranayama, but this was much different and again very one-sided as opposed to the balanced sensations I have felt in the past.

My hunch is that this is related to my scoliosis. My spine is curved a little, and the musculature on the right side of my back is significantly overdeveloped compared to the left side. The erector spinae in particular are the most imbalanced. I have for years been trying to correct my scoliosis. Asana practices and specific exercises have helped to some extent, and I have been hoping that advanced yoga practices would help as well.

I would love to hear anybody's thoughts regarding this situation and this experience. Also, given this experience, should I continue with the crown chakra at this time? Does anybody know why the sensation was felt on the right side only? Does it seem to others that this relates to the scoliosis and physical imbalance? And of course, the sharing of anything that anybody is aware of to correct scoliosis would be most welcome.

Many thanks for any and all insights on the matter.

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  3:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some right side/left side issues happen naturally from time to time for some of us. I can't really address the scoliosis related to kundalini issue. Perhaps Yogani can. But it is well known that if a person gets a full burst of kundalini via the pingala they may be in for a very wild ride. The well known experience of Gopikrishna comes to mind. For this reason I would avoid the crown if it were me. I have been a meditator for decades and with AYP for ten years and personally I still avoid the crown. That is, I don't do any crown work intentionally. It can and does happen on it's own. Best to stick to very balanced and self-paced practices. The ajna is the control chakra and is a main key in keeping the energy going where it needs to go. Perhaps reviewing Yogani's lessons would be very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  3:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Shivka108, welcome!

It sounds as if things are progressing nicely. You don't mention discomfort or overload, so I assume overall things are stable with you. It's good to hear you believe that yoga is helping with your scoliosis. Your hunch is from your guru.

I would tread cautiously in regards to crown work in light of these off center symptoms. Within your current path the crown is likely getting stimulation anyway by staying with Ajna. Better safe until your guru feels more confident about these symptoms. Just because you are feeling off-center symptoms doesn't necessarily mean things are amiss; there is no blueprint regarding purification. You're not in any hurry are you?
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2015 :  4:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello shivka108

My experience also appears to confirm that even slight physical asymmetries can lead to imbalances in kundalini flow.
I believe asanas can help correct spine asymmetries. Also have you tried the medical route - a physiotherapist for instance? You may get some useful exercises.

LittleTurtle makes a very good point - working on the crown just a year and a half after starting AYP seems very, very soon!

Take care
Go to Top of Page

shivka108

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, LittleTurtle

quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

I can't really address the scoliosis related to kundalini issue. Perhaps Yogani can.

Yogani! Where you at??

quote:
Originally posted by LittleTurtle

But it is well known that if a person gets a full burst of kundalini via the pingala they may be in for a very wild ride. The well known experience of Gopikrishna comes to mind. For this reason I would avoid the crown if it were me. I have been a meditator for decades and with AYP for ten years and personally I still avoid the crown. That is, I don't do any crown work intentionally. It can and does happen on it's own. Best to stick to very balanced and self-paced practices. The ajna is the control chakra and is a main key in keeping the energy going where it needs to go. Perhaps reviewing Yogani's lessons would be very helpful.

Your caution is duly noted. I am going by what is written in Lesson 199 - Managing the opening of the crown. All prerequisites have been met, and I am proceeding gently and just as outlined in the lesson. For these reasons, I don't really fear any full burst.
Go to Top of Page

shivka108

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  11:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Dogboy, and thank you!

quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

You don't mention discomfort or overload, so I assume overall things are stable with you.

Yes. Things have been stable both before and after the crown experiences.
quote:

I would tread cautiously in regards to crown work in light of these off center symptoms.

Yes, definitely.
quote:

Just because you are feeling off-center symptoms doesn't necessarily mean things are amiss; there is no blueprint regarding purification.

Right. So it is hard to tell whether the experience denotes a reason to back off or not. Of course besides physical experiences, Yogani talks about other measures to gauge if we are overdoing it by looking at how we feel in our everyday life (lack of stability, emotional upheaval, or what have you). There has been no such instability. If anything, there continues to be greater clarity and more stillness.
quote:

You're not in any hurry are you?

Yes!

Go to Top of Page

shivka108

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  12:07:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello BlueRaincoat

quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

My experience also appears to confirm that even slight physical asymmetries can lead to imbalances in kundalini flow.

Yes; I do think the physical asymmetry is the cause of the kundalini imbalance.

quote:

I believe asanas can help correct spine asymmetries. Also have you tried the medical route - a physiotherapist for instance? You may get some useful exercises.

Asanas have helped for sure. When paying attention to it, I have been noticing the right side of the back is much more active during poses as well as in every day life. Whether the right side is compensating for a lazy left side or the left side is lazy because of an over-active right side, I am going to put some serious energy into activating the left side and trying to bring greater balance.

I neglected (purposefully) to mention that I am a medical professional myself. I'm a Naturopathic physician, so I have a similar depth of training to an MD but with a holistic perspective and a greater focus on natural medicines rather than pharmaceuticals and surgery (although those things do have their place). My training includes a good deal on structure as well. The difficulty has been that it is quite challenging to assess oneself (especially the back!), and I am still pretty new out of school and trying to build up my professional life. As soon as I am able, I definitely plan to seek out care from a knowledgeable physiotherapist, chiropractor or other such health professional.

quote:

LittleTurtle makes a very good point - working on the crown just a year and a half after starting AYP seems very, very soon!

Well, you know, it is a year and a half of such practices in this life And even in this lifetime, before AYP was exhaustive jnana yoga, karma yoga, and some years of (albeit inconsistently practiced) asana and meditation practices.

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page

shivka108

USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  12:19:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear friends,

A heartfelt thank you for all of your input. I found it very useful in clarifying how best to move forward with these issues.

For now, I will not be pursuing anything more with the crown than periodically placing some attention on it, and continuing with indirect opening of it with the rest of the AYP practices. I am going to put a greater and more consistent effort into correcting this muscle imbalance (and hopefully the scoliosis itself), and perhaps I can from time to time use the crown sambhavi as a gauge of my progress in doing so, to see if the sensations find their way towards balance.

Any more input will always be appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

LittleTurtle

USA
342 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2015 :  1:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to hear that you will self-pace. Always make haste slowly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000